Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

A car museum was interested last year in coming to the fairgrounds. 

From Colby on Facebook.

"Colby Sledge I'm gonna spoil this one right now. 

A local philanthropist came to the city ages ago about a potential car museum, using his personal collection, which apparently is impressive. Fairgrounds and Metro reps looked into it, had some discussions, and tha
t's been it. 

Nancy has an email from November of last year where they were discussing it. I've seen it, and it's the most anodyne communication you could imagine. Back in November, Metro officials let me know they were having the discussions, and I think my response was something along the lines of, "Cool. Sounds interesting." 

I followed up with two different Metro sources after Nancy started sending it around (and didn't ask to talk to me, despite me sitting literally 25 feet from her for 15 minutes as she waited to ambush a Metro employee). They said that's the whole story. This is literally an "investigation" built on an email about a proposal, the types of which come to Metro offices all the time. (Also, I stand by my previous descriptions of the idea as "cool" and "interesting.")"

• Like 3

On 8/8/2018 at 1:00 PM, grilled_cheese said:

But isn't this flea market propped up by the government?

Flea markets have a way of finding the cheapest location possible, which is why you see "Flea Market" signs on old, crappy buildings while driving down the interstate in the middle of nowhere.  So, cheap rent?  Yes.  Propped up by the government?  No.  If they didn't meet at the fairgrounds, they would find another cheap spot.

9 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

Flea markets have a way of finding the cheapest location possible, which is why you see "Flea Market" signs on old, crappy buildings while driving down the interstate in the middle of nowhere.  So, cheap rent?  Yes.  Propped up by the government?  No.  If they didn't meet at the fairgrounds, they would find another cheap spot.

But with Nashville's development that spot is no longer cheap. It's only affordable because the city has controlled it to the benefit of the flea market. If this was the open market it'd be long priced out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DDIG said:

But with Nashville's development that spot is no longer cheap. It's only affordable because the city has controlled it to the benefit of the flea market. If this was the open market it'd be long priced out.

Don't get in the way of his LIBERTY narrative.

2 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

It certainly is propped up by the government. The only way the Nashville Flea Market exists is because it's on government land, and a government charter was created to protect it from being developed, and the vendors need $15-$25MM in metro funds to replace the buildings. 

• Like 1

I am a little bothered by this car museum thing. It is getting some traction this morning and the different parties messaging on where it stands seems inconsistent.  It is something easy for the opposition to cling on to and claim the city / developers aren't being forthcoming and can't be trusted - even if BS the more they can complicate everything the better for the opponents and council members / speakers bringing up where a car museum fits along with MLS stadium, mixed-use and fairgrounds complicates things (even if the real answer is relatively simple). 

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Don't get in the way of his LIBERTY narrative.

Liberty allows us to have these forums where we can work together for the betterment of our personal lives and our community.  So, in the name of liberty, I celebrate your contributions, grilled_cheese!

16 hours ago, nashvylle said:

It certainly is propped up by the government. The only way the Nashville Flea Market exists is because it's on government land, and a government charter was created to protect it from being developed, and the vendors need $15-$25MM in metro funds to replace the buildings. 

The community around the fairgrounds is unique and I'm hoping it can be preserved in some manner.  The fairgrounds' buildings are used for many community-enhancing events and probably deserve our support via government funds (please do not tell my fellow Austrian economics friends I said this).

In early April I went to the Tennessee Native Plant Sale at the fairgrounds.  Had to wait outside for 30 minutes in the cold, damp early morning air waiting for my turn to enter the building.  When I got in, 75% of the plants were already sold.  The clematis I bought is currently blooming for the third time this summer so I'd call this a success.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SumnerCountian said:

I hate to throw this phrase out there as I know it is like chum for sharks, but that Channel 4 piece is, in my opinion, the epitome of Fake News. Ok, bash away.

I agre which is why I was a little disappointed to see people like Joey Garrison tweet and say “good scoop”

Edited by DDIG

A nice win for NSC last night in front of a capacity crowd. Does anyone know if there are any messages to the 9k fans to email council members for support of the MLS votes? 

Also, can someone remind me what the email address is that emails all council members, versus the email address that emails just your council member? 

Edited by nashvylle

On 8/11/2018 at 10:47 AM, nashvylle said:

A nice win for NSC last night in front of a capacity crowd. Does anyone know if there are any messages to the 9k fans to email council members for support of the MLS votes? 

Also, can someone remind me what the email address is that emails all council members, versus the email address that emails just your council member? 

I think you're asking for [email protected]

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I did. It was a good turnout. Ingram spoke and so did Ian Ayre the new CEO, he talked about family and how the fans matter in their love for the team/city, and how he grew up 1000 yards from the Liverpool stadium. It was a good little turnout. Colby also spoke about the need to turn out to the meetings and email council people. 

The wife also won a raffle for tickets to the August 28th Nashville SC game! So that was nice. 

There are so many questions I want to ask ownership.

Thank you for going, and the raffle tickets your wife won are well deserved!

• Like 1

Members of the Metro Board of Fair Commissioners asked city attorneys Tuesday to revisit talks with Nashville's Major League Soccer team owners to explore having the club pay more money over time to lease 10 acres of fairgrounds property for a private development next to a future stadium. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/08/14/nashville-fair-board-presses-mls-ownership-pay-more-fairgrounds-development/987201002/

1 hour ago, DMilner said:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/08/14/nashville-major-league-soccer-stadium-council-members-seek-public-referendum/990395002/

CMs Cooper and Vercher seeking council action to send the stadium build to a public referendum.  

Per the article, it's revenue bonds, not sure it can happen. Praying it won't. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1