Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

But he call only call a referendum (doesn't look like he can legally as of now) on the $50 million. The $50 mil bond is for Fairgrounds improvements, not the bond on the stadium. 

SO say the referendum happens, then doesn't pass. The stadium could still be built because the $225 mil bond for the stadium are issued by the Sports Authority. 

I'm saying I don't understand his endgame unless the language in the referendum can someone make the $225 contingent on the $50 mil?

1 minute ago, PaulChinetti said:

But he call only call a referendum (doesn't look like he can legally as of now) on the $50 million. The $50 mil bond is for Fairgrounds improvements, not the bond on the stadium. 

SO say the referendum happens, then doesn't pass. The stadium could still be built because the $225 mil bond for the stadium are issued by the Sports Authority. 

I'm saying I don't understand his endgame unless the language in the referendum can someone make the $225 contingent on the $50 mil?

I believe the stadium is contingent on the Fairgrounds buildings being moved. If the $50 million doesn't happen for those, I don't believe the stadium can be built; unless they build it at the bottom where the new buildings are proposed. 

That makes more sense then, thanks @DMiller

Being petty for a brief second, it would be quite hilarious if all of that happened, the stadium got built down at the bottom and the absolutely NO money was put toward any of the Fairgrounds structures. It would be the most delicious of ironies. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

Nothing will be built where Greer is and Greer itself shouldn’t have be built. The only thing that should go on or near that site is a museum or a memorial. 

Ah, yes, now my memory is in full gear on that saga.

1 hour ago, DDIG said:

Maybe this is not their job (and this direction was lost when Barry went out) but they have not done a great job to communicating to the greater community (beyond soccer fans) why this is a good thing for Nashville.  It is a good thing for Nashville but ask any casual person why and they won't have a clue. It also appears they got a bit complacent after winning the first vote (of course hindsight is 20/20).

57 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

Excellent point. Most people, if they know about it at all, consider the MLS to be a middling league that’s not even in the same ballpark as the other established professional sports. There needs to be more PR convincing people why they should care.

Agreed, wish there was more positive PR for both soccer and the stadium, including all fairground improvement.

Edited by timmay143

The State Fair's contract is done after this year (2018). There doesn't seem to be any hurry to renew it either. The facilities there make it pretty difficult to throw one from what I understand. 

I have to imagine they've been planning on a move regardless. 

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], freddie.o'[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Here's all their emails that you can just copy and paste into your email program if anyone wants it. I just emailed them all and Brett Withers responded  "Thanks for writing". Probably just a form reply but they all check their emails, so don't be shy about emailing! 

Probably should have BCC'ed but I didn't, oops. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

What is his  deal/goal with this referendum? I just don't get it.

Posturing/grandstanding from him and Mendes has picked up noticeably lately. Similar to the type of behavior one might exhibit if they were trying to get their name recognition up before a mayoral run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

There is already $1million slated for the tear down of Greer. And nothing can be built on there due to archeological history that would have to be done, that there is no money for.

Vandy has said repeatedly they will not have a stadium that is not theirs and theirs alone.

Pretty sure there is no plan B... At least nothing public that I have heard or read.

That's rich of Vanderbilt to take that stance. Especially when the treat the football program as they do, financially.  As college football approaches, I've listened to several radio broadcasts that lamented Vandy for their financial allocations and support to the football program.  James Franklin was able to get some upgrades, but that was simply an appeasement rather than a commitment to the program.  And then there is this... https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2018/08/17/vanderbilt-university-statement-on-athletics/  

• Like 2