Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

17 minutes ago, Titans10 said:

Same with the flea market. You have 30,000 new people coming to the area with disposable income.  It’s a huge win for the community but these people are too dumb to realize it. 

There are issues that are of concern, like parking, but I do think Ride sharing and public transit and.... BIRD SCOOTERS! Will help. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does anyone have a handy breakdown of all the payments and such that Nashville Soccer Holdings and Metro will be responsible for?

The debt service is $13million a year. NSH is responsible for $9 million a year for the first 5 years. Then $10 million a year for the next 5 years. Then $11 million a year for the next 5?

Metro would be responsible for any of the $4 million that is not covered by tickets, merchandise, concessions and parking revenue.

If the team goes under for whatever reason, who's on the hook for the $9 million, am I remembering correctly that NSH is still on the hook for that? And Metro would have to cover the $4 million a year. 

23 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

While I don't agree with their obstruction at all, I do understand the mentality of this group. They've run business (some likely their whole income) from FG. They're acting desperate b/c they've had at least a couple of CMs fanning flames of uncertainty and distrust in "City Hall". Their feelings come in the form of "don't bother me" and resentment toward those who are causing this disruption and a perception that "a rich man is getting something for free".

In all seriousness, you have to consider that the Fairgrounds has been a target for full redevelopment (i.e., closure) for some time, particularly when Karl Dean was mayor. The same people in this group have likely been involved in the previous Save the Fairgrounds fights. If you've spent a decade trying to keep Metro from selling the property altogether it's not a stretch to think you would view the stadium deal as a Trojan horse.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Her biggest problem was the 10 acres, she said, could it be 5? Could it be less than 10, why 10? That got lots of noise from the anti-crowd. She could have just been grandstanding but who knows. 

Yes...she was the one who wanted to know why it could not be deferred...."look at me."

3 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Does anyone have a handy breakdown of all the payments and such that Nashville Soccer Holdings and Metro will be responsible for?

The debt service is $13million a year. NSH is responsible for $9 million a year for the first 5 years. Then $10 million a year for the next 5 years. Then $11 million a year for the next 5?

Metro would be responsible for any of the $4 million that is not covered by tickets, merchandise, concessions and parking revenue.

If the team goes under for whatever reason, who's on the hook for the $9 million, am I remembering correctly that NSH is still on the hook for that? And Metro would have to cover the $4 million a year. 

Yes. I’ve actually put together a full scheduke on this...  I will reach out on Twitter 

• Like 1

Yeah I was listening to 102.5 and they were both wrong about the stadium so I tweeted at Colby that he needs to get on the air and straighten them out. Apparently nobody knows anything about this deal, especially people doing sports radio, who totally SHOULD know about this. 

The Ingram group must have hired the same PR group as the Transit people...

• Like 2

I’m not a huge soccer fan but will probably go to a few games. Like some on here I would prefer MLB to soccer but the two can’t be compared to each other as far as the attendance, money from the city and while I’m not sure I would think a lot less games per-season. My question is if the stadium goes in at the fairgrounds will the racetrack be taken out? If that is the case I would say no, if something is going to be torn down and a stadium built it should be Greer Stadium. 

9 minutes ago, cda said:

I’m not a huge soccer fan but will probably go to a few games. Like some on here I would prefer MLB to soccer but the two can’t be compared to each other as far as the attendance, money from the city and while I’m not sure I would think a lot less games per-season. My question is if the stadium goes in at the fairgrounds will the racetrack be taken out? If that is the case I would say no, if something is going to be torn down and a stadium built it should be Greer Stadium. 

Above is where MLS2NASHVILLE needs better PR. 

I follow the situation closely and will say that the racetrack is not being torn down and SMI has even reached out about investing in it. @cda from the very beginning it has been stated and restated that all existing uses will remain, but if the common person on the side does not realize that, that is not your fault. 

The racetrack will get better attendance with MLS because so hundreds of thousands of soccer fans will see the racetrack, many for the first time, and will want to go. 

• Like 2

Ok thanks guys. I don’t follow this closely as I now live in Knoxville but still have my titans season tickets and unfortunately a partial package for the Preds. If all of this is true then why are they having such a hard time building it at the fairgrounds? I would think it would be great for everyone both soccer fans and race fans. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cda said:

Ok thanks guys. I don’t follow this closely as I now live in Knoxville but still have my titans season tickets and unfortunately a partial package for the Preds. If all of this is true then why are they having such a hard time building it at the fairgrounds? I would think it would be great for everyone both soccer fans and race fans. 

That @cda is the million dollar question.

This dude has just been railing on anyone who supports soccer. Correct me if I'm wrong but with revenue bonds the stadium pretty much pays for itself, right? He makes it out to be Nashvillians choose to not pay teachers and employees to pay for soccer.

Yes, that's the biggest thing that people bring up, even at the Council meetings. We can't pay our police/teachers/workers why are we spending money on this?!

Well we aren't. The most in a single year that Nashville would ever be on the hook for is $4million dollars, and that's if zero people buy tickets, concessions, merch or parking.

Consider that, zero people would have to do all of those things. I can't imagine MLS/Ingram/Nashville Soccer Holdings would be willing to do this if that were the case. 

• Like 3

Freeman's position:

My position:
  As I've said before, I'm not anti soccer.  I honestly feel that MLS could have a positive effect on the 16th; but do I put that over and above what's best for the City?  I don't know - that's the piece I'm trying to sort.  The City has made a few missteps, the Certified Tax Rate (CTR) being the biggest - IMO.  We should never have been advised to set it so low.  The CTR, remember, is what the City uses to calculate your property taxes; and property tax collection is almost 47% of the City's operating budget.  AND the additional 10 acres is hard to swallow.

Many of you have shared your thoughts, and I appreciate each and everyone of you that have taken the time to call or write.  As I've told you before I'm not currently supporting the MLS proposal; BUT I'm trying to keep an open mind. Let's see what happens these next few days.

22 minutes ago, e-dub said:

Freeman's position:

My position:
  As I've said before, I'm not anti soccer.  I honestly feel that MLS could have a positive effect on the 16th; but do I put that over and above what's best for the City?  I don't know - that's the piece I'm trying to sort.  The City has made a few missteps, the Certified Tax Rate (CTR) being the biggest - IMO.  We should never have been advised to set it so low.  The CTR, remember, is what the City uses to calculate your property taxes; and property tax collection is almost 47% of the City's operating budget.  AND the additional 10 acres is hard to swallow.

Many of you have shared your thoughts, and I appreciate each and everyone of you that have taken the time to call or write.  As I've told you before I'm not currently supporting the MLS proposal; BUT I'm trying to keep an open mind. Let's see what happens these next few days.

This take seems to be all about the CTR which certainly isn't the Soccer Stadium's fault. If you have a problem with the CTR, change the CTR.

• Like 2

He has a problem with the 10 acres, that's a legitimate concern, what is all the CTR talk? Was this an answer to a question, because yeesh, ramble much?

So he has a problem with the CTR, man it would be good if he was a member of a collection of people, let's call them a council, that had control over things like that.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

He has a problem with the 10 acres, that's a legitimate concern, what is all the CTR talk? Was this an answer to a question, because yeesh, ramble much?

So he has a problem with the CTR, man it would be good if he was a member of a collection of people, let's call them a council, that had control over things like that.

If the CTR was readjusted, the COLA would have been given. 

Dear Nashville Soccer Fan,

Thank You. From the beginning, you have worn your blue and gold and cheered from the stands. Every time we take the field there are 10,000 of you in the stands driving the soccer movement forward. Now, the Metro Council needs to feel this same energy. 

As you know, Nashville is close to solidifying a home for professional soccer at the Fairgrounds. Don’t miss your opportunity to contribute and be part of history.
  1. Write the Council. Write a brief note to [email protected]. Tell them why you support a home for professional soccer at the Fairgrounds. Or use the following link: Write your Council Member
  2. Share your story. Attend the next hearing and voice your opinion on Monday, August 27th at the Metro Council Chamber. Please arrive by 5:00wearing your blue and gold.
  3. Support the Vote. Be there for the final vote on September 4th
This is Our Town, Our Club, and this is Our Time. 

On behalf of Nashville SC,
ee55be5e-baa3-4232-8c05-65b29887d3cd.png
Court Jeske
CEO

• Like 1