Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

Email for those of us in the following Districts -

Dear Todd,

On Tuesday, September 4th, Nashville Metro Council is expected to hold the final votes on the MLS stadium and the revitalization of the Fairgrounds Nashville. Your representatives on Metro Council need to hear from you before Tuesday. Let them know you support the project!

Council Members Freddie O'Connell, Bob Mendes, Erica Gilmore, Sharon Hurt and Jim Shulman need to hear that you support soccer and the revitalization of the Fairgrounds Nashville. And we need you to attend the council meeting on Tuesday, September 4th at 6:30.

Please take two minutes right now to CLICK HERE to send an email urging your council members to support the MLS stadium project and the revitalization of the Fairgrounds. You can also call your council members at these numbers:

• Freddie O'Connell 615-862-6780
  • Bob Mendes 615-756-3533
  • Erica Gilmore 615-862-6780
  • Sharon Hurt 615-862-6780
  • Jim Shulman 615-584-1082

Your voice is important and will have an impact. It is critical that Council Members Freddie O'Connell, Bob Mendes, Erica Gilmore, Sharon Hurt and Jim Shulman hear from soccer supporters in District 19.

There is some suggested text included in the draft email through the link above, but please feel free to also share your positive message in support of the stadium plan and for MLS in Nashville. 

We look forward to seeing you on Tuesday night!

MLS2Nashville 

These folks have accomplished some good things but this is a concern if they push very hard in this direction. THIS construction labor market is TIGHT. If they get too greedy in a space like this and start negotiating on behalf of unions that's a good way to tank a deal.

So I understand the minority owned business portion of things. We dealt with this up in MA on every project. As the design team for public projects we would be required to have a a percentage of our team be minority owned. There were certain areas where it was easy to pick it, such as specifiers, cost estimators or other minor members of the team. Construction may be harder to do, but is definitely still doable. I am sure there are minority owned construction/landscape/hardscape groups out there that could handle projects. Or another option would be to break the project into smaller pieces and hire different groups for different pieces. That would definitely help get a certain percentage.

What is the HighRoadContractors hashtag? Just a higher pay construction movement?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

So I understand the minority owned business portion of things. We dealt with this up in MA on every project. As the design team for public projects we would be required to have a a percentage of our team be minority owned. There were certain areas where it was easy to pick it, such as specifiers, cost estimators or other minor members of the team. Construction may be harder to do, but is definitely still doable. I am sure there are minority owned construction/landscape/hardscape groups out there that could handle projects. Or another option would be to break the project into smaller pieces and hire different groups for different pieces. That would definitely help get a certain percentage.

What is the HighRoadContractors hashtag? Just a higher pay construction movement?

Yeah I'm not sure what is about. I'm certainly for minority involvement and the best possible conditions, but also recognize especially in the development phase there are realities about the market that you have to be realistic about. The Wage Theft hash tag caught my. I guess my larger concern is, while this group is well intentioned I'm not sure they know what they are talking about if they are taking a hard line on the construction side of the equation which has a lot of moving parts and constraints in a booming market. Take the ordinance council tried to push not long ago about forcing developers to use a certain percentage of local workers - while well intentioned there aren't anywhere close the necessary local workers available to build Nashville's projects, so it was counterproductive.

• Like 1

A new appraisal that the Mayor's office ordered of the 10 acres of publicly owned land that would be redeveloped by the MLS group now puts the worth at $20.7 million, as opposed to $11.8 million.  This will add even more drama to the negotiations in the next several days/weeks.

More at NBJ  here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/08/30/new-appraisal-nearly-doubles-fairgrounds-land.html

47 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

The land under the racetrack and flea market is more valuable too. Should their rent be increased? 

I’m interested to see if the ani-crowd goes down this path. It’s gonna be hard to say MLS should pay more if the track isn’t willing to. Tit for tat if you will.  

• Like 3

Metro Finance Director Talia Lomax-O'dneal says she can't certify $50,000 needed for a referendum on partial funding of Nashville's proposed Major League Soccer stadium project — but a councilman pushing for the public vote is pursuing a work-around.

Lomax-O'dneal, a top aide in Mayor David Briley's administraiton, informed the council of that decision in a letter Thursday.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/09/01/metro-nashville-cant-pay-50-000-hold-referendum-mls-stadium/1159563002/

I know he’s trying to stop the whole process but I just don’t understand Cooper’s play here. 

If this gets on a referendum that’s gonna set a pretty awful precedent and then no infrastructure spending is ever going to get approved in Nashville if we have to vote on everything.

Not to mention the $50mil is going to IMPROVE the Fairgrounds. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I know he’s trying to stop the whole process but I just don’t understand Cooper’s play here. 

If this gets on a referendum that’s gonna set a pretty awful precedent and then no infrastructure spending is ever going to get approved in Nashville if we have to vote on everything.

Not to mention the $50mil is going to IMPROVE the Fairgrounds. 

I agree, but I think he knows it’s toifh to pass, and he’s just getting his name out there. If it does pass, I expect NSH to sue (if everything else passes Tuesday).

I think a lot is resting on the CBA with a number of CMs holding out for that. 

I think Vercher will be a yes, as long as they amend the SP to include the 20% affordable housing. 

I think M. Johnson will be a yes with the CBA. 

I think Henderson will be a yes, just depends on her feelings toward the 10 acres. She’s not a big fan of that. I can’t remember if she expressed her unhappiness with it after the last upping of the rent being paid. The new appraisal probably won’t help.

(From memory and trying to place faces to names) Freeman, Hagar, and Shulman I think are the ones that a strong CBA will help. 

The abastainers are the ones that will be interesting as some have not said why that I can remember. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, echoing what @PaulChinetti said. My only change would be with Henderson; I believe Colby thinks she's out either way. I think it's going to be extremely close. I think if they get the votes, it'll probably be right at 27 or 28. Colby still seems pretty confident; so we'll see. Shooting the yes's and on the fence cm's an email wouldn't hurt. 

Edited by DMilner
  • Like 3