Grand Bohemian Hotel

vicupstate

On 4/17/2017 at 8:18 AM, gvegascple said:

Looks really really great.  Regarding height, if well done, I am good with making exceptions here and there.  I would think that those staying at the hotel (and those marketing the rooms) would want mountain views if possible as well as views of the falls.  Might not be even possible with all of the development around it though.

Don't think you will be getting mountain views from a 3 story building in downtown, LOL, especially since it is already below Main St. level.

• 2 weeks later...

This DRB needs to disbanded. They approve every generic box without question ( Aloft, former peacock site, AC Hotel,... Aloft), then when anything with a little imagination to actually be different gets proposed they deny it. Not saying I wouldn't mind seeing a few different proposals just to look at different visions, but saying we need more modern stuff is ridiculous. 

"DRB member Carmella M. Cioffi said the overall design needs to be more urban, presenting more of a clean contemporary line while likely being able to use the same materials in the plan. She cited the modern lines of the Liberty Bridge that would be in stark contrast to the current design of the hotel. She further recommended moving away from the idea of a park-based architectural design. “I think the building can rise organically from the park and still feel like today’s architecture,” she said."

Why does she think everything need to be like "today's architecture"? If anything, the DRB should be protecting downtown from "today's architecture" and not demanding changes to proven architectural styles. If she liked and approved the "today's architecture" of the Link Apartments I shudder to think about the hand she has in the design of future projects. I also wonder how Christian Sottile accepted this criticism? Anyone compare his CV to Ms. Cioffi's CV? 

Edited by FUgrad02

I think you are expecting a do-over when it sounds more like tweaking the design to me.  I get that the hotel will be on the park, but the Bowater building is just across from it too. I think the Board is just trying to make that contrast not be so stark. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This project has to be done perfectly. Falls Park is beautiful but this piece of land right now is pretty boring. This will complete the park. I also really hope to see a walking path on that side of the river as shown in the renderings.

2 hours ago, SRL311U said:

Just sad about DRB.    If city hall teaches us anything, it is that trying to unify onto a "current" architectural style ends poorly long term.   

I don't see any difference between this submission and the last one. Did I miss something? :dontknow: 

Anybody know where Wyche is going to move?

13 hours ago, gman430 said:

I don't see any difference between this submission and the last one. Did I miss something? :dontknow: 

Anybody know where Wyche is going to move?

It's the change in the roofline. I don't know if I'm really feeling the flat roofs. Felt like they are forcing things to get this thing through. Just my opinion. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...