Grand Bohemian Hotel

vicupstate

On 2/10/2019 at 1:36 PM, gman430 said:

Cleveland Construction is no longer the general contractor. Yeargin Potter-Shackelforis now in charge of building the hotel. I am not sure why they got replaced. You can see the plans here: https://sc-greenville.civicplus.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/4309?fileID=17134 The hotel from the lowest point to the highest point (top of chimney) will be 133.5 feet tall. 

Wow, doesn;t look it would be 133 ft at any point but I will take your word for it. Looks like on;y a couple of floors are actually above ground level. 

Edited by apaladin

2 hours ago, apaladin said:

Wow, doesn;t look it would be 133 ft at any point but I will take your word for it. Looks like on;y a couple of floors are actually above ground level. 

Some of that (24 feet) is below the road/ground level along the hill on the backside of the building where two floors will be built. From road/ground level on the front side of the building to the top of the roof will be 97 feet tall and to the top of the chimney will be 109 feet tall. 

Edited by gman430

Incidentally, who occupies the building up the hill from the Grand Bohemian site? I still think of it as the "IBM" building, though IBM vacated that building to move into Greenville Commons 37 years ago. How time flies.

I ask because that's an old, dated building, and with development moving toward it--from both directions--I wonder if a site as prominent as that one will be in for a major makeover sooner rather than later.

Edited by Exile

13 hours ago, gman430 said:

"The hotel, which is reminiscent of a rustic lodge-style found in national parks..." This phrase buttresses the concern that I've had since the plans were first published. Although it's an interesting design, it isn't really consistent with the surrounding community, and I think it's going to look out of place there. 

• 2 weeks later...

21 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Wow, I didn't realize how close it would be to the bridge...