Grand Bohemian Hotel

vicupstate

On 6/24/2022 at 8:09 AM, vicupstate said:

The Bowater building is looking more dated than ever with the new neighbor. Whether it becomes City Hall or not, I hope something is done to update/improve the appearance/use of the building.  

Curious as to how it should be updated or improved? It seems like a relatively nice (for the era) 1988 or so office building.  Certainly better than the Daniel Building.  But since I'm constantly harping on the need to update dated office buildings, I would have to agree with you, to avoid being a hypocrite.

13 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Curious as to how it should be updated or improved? It seems like a relatively nice (for the era) 1988 or so office building.  Certainly better than the Daniel Building.  

I'm in this camp too. I think the Bowater is just fine, actually nice even. It probably wouldn't show up on my list of Greenville buildings to be renovated,  or if it did,  it'd be way at the bottom.

6 hours ago, apaladin said:

Y’all keep complaining about the Daniel Building and the citwill tear it down and build another park or 8 story buildng. Then we will have no 20 story buildings. Just sayin’ :dontknow:

It actually possible, we've seen taller buildings torn down before to give way to shorter ones.  The Woodside and Scott Towers are saying hello from their graves. 

I doubt this would actually happen with the Daniel Building but it needed a makeover before the thing even had its grand opening. 

• Confused 1

In walking down Falls Street and Canperdown Way, and around Falls Park and Cleveland Park, the area is just gorgeous.  Architecture ranges from OK to amazing and the natural beauty is fantastic.  This is the most beautiful area of Greenville, and is really beautiful.

Maybe the same “build new beautiful buildings and improve the natural environment” concepts could be applied to some other parts of downtown?  The area around the Daniel Building next: ugly architecture and parking lots transformed?

Is the Daniel Building a noteworthy example of Brutalist architecture?  If so, or if it has architectural merit, even if it’s not my favorite style, then keep it or restore it to its original appearance (if it has changed).

If architects don’t see particular merit in it, then I would just consider it an ugly example of an ugly style of architecture and would propose to at least re-clad its exterior and upgrade it to be a class A office building. 

The bottom floor of the Bowater building should be opened to the street/plaza that it faces. It is a dead zone now and this is needed to get pedestrian traffic to cross Falls Street to whatever gets built in the vast parking lot wasteland that UCB now owns.   Likewise there is a better look possible for the backside of the building that is three or four stories of a blank dark glass wall.  Just changing to a clear glass would be an improvement. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Is the Daniel Building a noteworthy example of Brutalist architecture?  If so, or if it has architectural merit, even if it’s not my favorite style, then keep it or restore it to its original appearance (if it has changed).

If architects don’t see particular merit in it, then I would just consider it an ugly example of an ugly style of architecture and would propose to at least re-clad its exterior and upgrade it to be a class A office building. 

Per an architectural link that distortedlogic shared last year (https://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/SC-01-045-0058), it's simulataneously "new formalist" and brutalist, though new formalism seems to be primary. FWIW.

I think the Georgia marble gives the Daniel Bldg some cachet that, e.g., Denny's (which looks to me like a high-rise prison) entirely lacks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

You need to see it in person. They’ve restored it to mid century  style on the interior. It is incredibly well done. 

Gotchya. I saw this and winced a bit, though, some of the inside pics I saw do look nice.

I mean, even the outside is nicer than the Daniel/Landmark/Windstream/ Whatever but...

image.thumb.png.3720e5c07812dcc1faa09f64408fe6f5.png

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I was skeptical when the Mendel Rivers building was first proposed for hotel conversion, but they definitely improved the exterior appearance and the interior has gotten rave reviews. It allowed a style of architecture to be preserved that rare on the peninsula as well.     

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 5:32 PM, cabelagent said:

There’s nothing preventing this from becoming a super downtown destination in the future…

Agreed and for people who live in Alta Vista, it's less than a mile down Cleveland Street between home and the Grand Bohemian.  Considering how close it is, how close it is to the Camperdown development and how gorgeous the building is, and how gorgeous Falls Park next to it is, and in hopes that the County Square development will have a lot of retail and restaurants to draw people, I could see this being THE main attraction downtown.

On 7/2/2022 at 5:52 PM, gman430 said:

0-D700581-2-FB0-4-FCF-9558-2-B3199887-E8

4069-C16-C-C76-A-4-B4-D-89-FD-77590-AC40

7-C20-FA3-D-9479-4-A7-E-9480-B60-CB7-EBF

A gorgeous building, loved it from the start!

Actually these pictures show the only imperfection in the whole development ... the turf. It's too perfect looking; thus... fake. I absolutely understand the desire to avoid maintenance but I think a nice true lawn would have been way better looking. Just a small detail and insignificant, but it jumps out nonetheless. Still, it gets a ten in my book!

14 hours ago, gman said:

I think it's safe to say the Carolina's food scene has exploded onto the national and perhaps international food scene to a degree we could warrant a Michelin Guide. Greenville alone getting two Michelin Starred chefs in a year is a major feat, and I don't see the tide receding of interesting concepts for restaurants opening across the Carolina's. Personally, my only wish is for there to be a full blown K-BBQ spot downtown; if done properly, they'd like clean house down there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...