GVSU Downtown Development

GRDadof3

Being that the school is currently short on money from the state, it would appear that DeVos made a pretty generous donation to get this building built. Does anyone know the status of the new library at the Allendale campus? Is that project still trying to seek funds? It would be a shame, however, for this new business school project to get fully funded when I believe the new library is more important. Just my opinion.

During the years that I was there, 01-06, there was not a lot of student housing options downtown, but that has since changed with many projects wrapping up construction since then. One example off the top of my head would be the old bike factory project. I think this new school addition will allow for more classes/departments DT which will translate to more success for the Gallery on Fulton/Commerce St./Division/bike factory projects.

This is awesome news.

Being that the school is currently short on money from the state, it would appear that DeVos made a pretty generous donation to get this building built. Does anyone know the status of the new library at the Allendale campus? Is that project still trying to seek funds? It would be a shame, however, for this new business school project to get fully funded when I believe the new library is more important. Just my opinion.

During the years that I was there, 01-06, there was not a lot of student housing options downtown, but that has since changed with many projects wrapping up construction since then. One example off the top of my head would be the old bike factory project. I think this new school addition will allow for more classes/departments DT which will translate to more success for the Gallery on Fulton/Commerce St./Division/bike factory projects.

This is awesome news.

I work for GVSU, although not in a way associated with the library or funding for new buildings.

The last rumor I heard was that they have the funding for the new library but they need to work out some details in the blueprints.

It's just a rumor so take it with a grain of salt; it could easily be wrong.

I wish. Maybe it's changed now, but when I attended GVSU, the downtown campus was the least desirable for on-campus apartments. Most desirable for me maybe, which is why I lived there, but other students didn't seem to care about being downtown.

I always saw a lot of people that looked like students in some of the rental units on Lexington when I worked near there.

Then there are all the students who live in Heritage Hill and even Midtown and take the shuttle. I've met a number of those, but as you said, those aren't really "on-campus".

I work for GVSU, although not in a way associated with the library or funding for new buildings.

The last rumor I heard was that they have the funding for the new library but they need to work out some details in the blueprints.

It's just a rumor so take it with a grain of salt; it could easily be wrong.

From what I understand, there is significant more funds needed for the library and the new downtown building.

Chris Knape has more of the scoop:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michiga...ng_grand_r.html

I hope "fast-tracked" means we'll see construction start next year. :alc:

Chris doesn't mention the rooftop accessory. I am guessing that the reason DeVries would prefer to develop the building, then hand it over, pertains to those long-term leases.

How To Hide The Cell Tower (suggestions)

Hah! I was in the desert surrounding Las Vegas last weekend, and there was a cell tower disguised as a pine tree. In the middle of the desert. It stood out worse than if it were just a regular cell tower. It reminded me of the Simpsons episode where a phone company PR rep called them "progress trees" and "keep in touch towers."

Hah! I was in the desert surrounding Las Vegas last weekend, and there was a cell tower disguised as a pine tree. In the middle of the desert. It stood out worse than if it were just a regular cell tower. It reminded me of the Simpsons episode where a phone company PR rep called them "progress trees" and "keep in touch towers."

Kindof like this?

tree-signs.jpg

(West Bloomfield, 48325)

The wireless industry does make a saguaro cactus. More good & bad pics in my rogues gallery:

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/veloise/cell%20towers/

Edited by Veloise

Here's a question: if they build a new Siedman College of Business, what happens to the current Devos Center? Isn't it mostly the business college? Or would they expand more programs downtown?

I can't imagine they'd put the new business school in the middle of one of the parking lots and not on the riverfront, having that opportunity. It might even take up the A&P site and the parking lot to the West, since the A&P site is not that big.

Why wouldn't GVSU use the building and/or lot to the south of the A&P warehouse (86 Front Ave SW) since they own it already? It's also a big old building that would probably need to be razed, but at least they wouldn't have to buy out Mr. Devries.

Why wouldn't GVSU use the building and/or lot to the south of the A&P warehouse (86 Front Ave SW) since they own it already? It's also a big old building that would probably need to be razed, but at least they wouldn't have to buy out Mr. Devries.

They could use the parking lot to the south of the A&P warehouse, but the building there is not empty. It is the home of Grand River Aseptic Pharmaceutical Packaging.

I think they want to buy out Mr DeVries so they can own all the property in the area. I'm guessing He wants to be a partner so he can get the work of redeveloping the building.

They could use the parking lot to the south of the A&P warehouse, but the building there is not empty. It is the home of Grand River Aseptic Pharmaceutical Packaging.

Thanks for the info, I guess I should get to the Westside more often and visit my alma mater more often.

I realize why DeVries would want to be a partner in the project (he would make money) but why would GV use its money to buy a building from an investor when they own so much surface which is mostly vacant (parking) already?

Thanks for the info, I guess I should get to the Westside more often and visit my alma mater more often.

I realize why DeVries would want to be a partner in the project (he would make money) but why would GV use its money to buy a building from an investor when they own so much surface which is mostly vacant (parking) already?

Owning parking lots in downtown GR is like owning rare gold.

• 3 weeks later...

Disgusting!

They have acres of surface parking lots in that area, including along the river next to this building, and this is the path they take? To use the government to essentially steal this guys building so they dont have to spend the cash building a new structure.

This isnt eminent domain because the building isnt in the way of anything! These are just a bunch of cheap #$@%!

The irony is that this building would then be named after a deceased businessman.

All I know is that DeVries has not been great stewards of the property over the years and is very likely asking far too much considering the S-curve settlement (does anyone know how much that was?) and the aesthetic damage they've done with the long term cell tower deal. Probably all just posturing by both parties to try to get the upper hand...