Sign in to follow this  
GRDadof3

GVSU Downtown Development

GRDadof3    1831

Yes, "we are growing as fast as we can and they still need more" says Dean Paul Plotkowski. This will help fill some much needed holes in the area. I haven't been over there since my last photo update^^^

I have to say that almost anything would be better than the "back-end" style brick wall currently there. The site for my current project in school is not too unlike that, actually. Perhaps the patterned white panel blocking the windows is meant to establish some kind of connection with the retaining wall and white utility of 131.

Not to mention, the one thing that really pops out white panel or concrete is foliage. A green roof would be excellent, especially in passage along 131.

grcitydog    0

Once those beams that are laying on the ground start going up, then this project will really start to move!! :D Thanks for the photo, I almost forgot about this this project, since there really is so much going on across the river and on the hill!!

GRDadof3    1831

Is this thing going to be open in time for the fall semester?

Good question. At first I thought "no way!". But then again, they're moving pretty fast.

Kayak1    0

Is this thing going to be open in time for the fall semester?

My Guess would be no. There is still a ton of work to be completed including mechanical and electrical sytems. My guess is complete by Christmas break.

Greedo    0

I've seen construction like this done before (the bolted steel), but I can't remember where. Maybe when I was at WMU. It seems to be an inexpensive way to build 3-4 story buildings.

Kayak1    0

I've seen construction like this done before (the bolted steel), but I can't remember where. Maybe when I was at WMU. It seems to be an inexpensive way to build 3-4 story buildings.

Most "office" building that are less than 5 stories are built this way. Economical and a quick way to get your structure in the air.

PBJ    0

Oh, goodie! Just when I thought we needed one more blank wall around here!

DSC01355.jpg

Hahaha.. never satisfied.. From the rendering it looks like there will be a lot of glass on the ground floor as well...

DwntwnGeo    0

Found this site on the third page and thought I would add some current pictures from this past Saturday

From the parking structure across the street

post-6831-1153098868_thumb.jpg

Another picture

post-6831-1153098921_thumb.jpg

And one from the street

post-6831-1153098976_thumb.jpg

colemaly    0

Here are some other angles i got from a screen-grab from progressives website:

engineering_expansion.jpg

Very cool! I work in Eberhard so I can't wait to see what the final construction will be like! :)

sparky05    94

It was too freaking hot for me to walk all the way across the river to get good pictures of this today, but if you look really close at this image, you can see that walls are being attached to the frame of the addition over at GVSU:

202953969_9d5f3a40e1_o.jpg

Image courtesy of the JW Marriott webcam on the Grand Plaza. Not a bad little camera they've got there...

DwntwnGeo    0

Here ya go sparky. I was too lazy to post it yesterday.

Dad, you beat me to it. I have a simular picture showing the same view from Saturday afternoon.