GVSU Downtown Development

GRDadof3

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

GVSU sees $42 Million growth spurt

ALLENDALE TOWNSHIP -- An $18 million indoor athletic facility and a $20 million academic building soon will grace Grand Valley State University's campus.

The school's Board of Trustees on Monday approved the projects, and a $4.7 million electric and storm water upgrade, for a total project tally of $42.7 million.

GVSU grooms future engineers

Picture this, they were told: students using robots to put together computer boards...

....Plotkowski said there are 650 undergraduate and 50 graduate students enrolled in the program. That is expected to increase in five years to 800 to 1,000 undergrads and up to 300 graduate students.

The 138,000-square-foot building, with 800 seats, will be on the west side of Laker Drive across from the Fieldhouse.

Can someone give me a better idea of where this will be?

I think this involves "tearing up parking lots" that someone mentioned earlier. GVSU's growth is just unbelievable. I barely recongnize the place, and I just graduated 2.5 years ago! :shok:

I think this involves "tearing up parking lots" that someone mentioned earlier. GVSU's growth is just unbelievable. I barely recongnize the place, and I just graduated 2.5 years ago! :shok:

I hear you Torgo, I graduated in April '01. I was out there last in March '04 and I almost got lost trying to find my sisters dorm room to help her with her computer. I'll have to make a trip out there soon to check out wht it looks like now.

• 3 weeks later...

Its going to contain a football field with a track around it and some seating and a couple of classrooms.

This is going to replace the indoor track in the fieldhouse. Eventually, there will be seating all around the baskeball court, some chairbacks.

This building is going to give the football team a place to practice in inclement weather (playoffs), aleviate some of the pressures the fieldhouse has been experiencing and prepares us for further growth.

• 5 weeks later...

Massive 1900 student development planned for Allendale campus

This week, the Planning Commission reviewed plans for the biggest proposal yet -- a 72-acre student village along 48th Street south of Lake Michigan Drive.

Dubbed 48 West by Grand Haven-based Investment Property Associates Inc., it would house about 1,900 students.

It calls for a mix of apartments and town houses, a fitness center, meeting rooms, study areas and outdoor basketball and volleyball courts.

The "town center" would feature three-story buildings, with retail on the first floor and apartments on the upper two.

Massive 1900 student development planned for Allendale campus

This week, the Planning Commission reviewed plans for the biggest proposal yet -- a 72-acre student village along 48th Street south of Lake Michigan Drive.

Dubbed 48 West by Grand Haven-based Investment Property Associates Inc., it would house about 1,900 students.

It calls for a mix of apartments and town houses, a fitness center, meeting rooms, study areas and outdoor basketball and volleyball courts.

The "town center" would feature three-story buildings, with retail on the first floor and apartments on the upper two.

Wow, stuff like this makes me wish that Allendale had things like this when I went there. I can still remember the long walk or rollerblade out to tiny Afterwards coffeehouse on 48th.

The new buildings on the Allendale campus seem ugly to me. Quite pedestrian. It seems like a shame as they have built some real gems in Allendale and downtown, but these seem more like University of Phoenix type buildings... Not something that will be around in 50-100 years.

Joe

I would have to agree, granted, as far as Kirkhof is concerned there was a limit as to what they could probably do. They pretty much had to maintain the continuity of the existing architecture. While structures such as the downtown campus and some of the newer living centers were constructed in a classical meets modern style, these newer buildings seem to be completely of the modern almost suburban variety.

• 1 month later...

The 1900 unit student "village" was paired down to 1400, and won planning commission approval in Allendale. Wonder where the other 500 units could go? :whistling:

http://www.mlive.com/newslogs/grpress/inde..._03.html#246385

Downtown?

Like this (again):

049_corum3.jpg

That building is 300 units, but they are luxury apartments. Scale it down for the college crowd and stick 500 units in it...put it on the south end of the downtown campus, close to the river.

Probably only lose a few million on it. :dontknow:

• 1 month later...

This seems a little ridiculous. They are going to be pampered just because they are smart.

Honors College Living Center

Cost: $33 million. This is more expensive than anything else they have done. Anybody know why they would do this?

What: 40,800-square-foot Honors College located between two housing buildings. Includes two classrooms, a computer lab, a science lab, 16 offices. Also is supposed to contain a movie theatre for the honors students and a grill.

Update: Construction began at the end of April.

Move-in: August 2008