GVSU Downtown Development

GRDadof3

It looks like a mishmash of about three different styles. It sort of works, and I don't hate it, but I also don't love it.

it looks like a mix of eberhard and devos buildings.. it looks pretty good but, i think it will look great when it is finished.. gvsu doesn't seem to skimp on dt non-residential buildings

FTFY.

Both Secchia and Winter Halls are really cheap, shoddy construction. DeVos Center is quite nice, however.

it looks like a mix of eberhard and devos buildings.. it looks pretty good but, i think it will look great when it is finished.. gvsu doesn't seem to skimp on dt buildings

lol they shouldve rendered it with the nasty expressway in the background....

lastly, this is going to radically change the visual experience of drivers on 131...

It definitely will make a difference along 131.

I'm guessing that the tower will have a view of downtown. At about 5 stories, as it appears, I would think so.

• 4 months later...

About 3-4 weeks ago, I noticed a large cell tower that had been erected on the city owned property between Watson and Fulton, just east Lexington. It's the property where the Seward extension from Fulton to Butterworth is going to be put in this summer, south of the Adobe. It looks a LOT like the tower on top of the A&P Warehouse, except maybe a little taller. I keep waiting for the day when all the electronic equipment on that tower moves over to the new one. I imagine that demolition will start soon after that.

... It looks a LOT like the tower on top of the A&P Warehouse, except maybe a little taller....

i just happen to have a few examples of 150-ft monopoles with multiple carriers.

Subject property

100_2223.jpg

Someplace else

media1-6.jpg

aka Why Our Zoning Ordinance Now Requires Collocation

Two-fer

2-tower2.jpg

see above

Another locale

veloisebuilding.jpg

the friend who shared this called it the Veloise Building

Another location

monopolefire2.jpg

aka Why We Prohibit Use of Acetylene Torches

Another two (single carriers)

groves2.jpg

my old high school

Edited by Veloise

• 4 weeks later...

Thursday and Friday, this fencing with black vision blocking material was erected around the entire perimeter of the A&P Warehouse. It was not extended across the parking lot exits or the road yet, but there was extra in place to do so. I imagine that interior demolition will begin very soon and I'll have to alter my route to work.

5564724221_17497a0e68_b.jpg

Just in case someone is interested, transmitter/receivers (or whatever the technical term is) were going up today on the new cell tower.

5571694318_9f998c6899_b.jpg

The area in the foreground of this photo is where the Seward extension down to Butterworth will be going in this summer. I wonder where the city is going to pile all the snow they've been dumping here the last few winters.

Can anyone point me to the site plan for the new GVSU business school building? While the rendering looks nice, it appears that there is surface parking in front of the building. I am hoping that is not the case for this downtown location. There is sufficient development downtown to ensure all buildings are pedestrian-oriented.

Can anyone point me to the site plan for the new GVSU business school building? While the rendering looks nice, it appears that there is surface parking in front of the building. I am hoping that is not the case for this downtown location. There is sufficient development downtown to ensure all buildings are pedestrian-oriented.

It's kind of a perspective thing, Jippy. There is surface parking where the rendering shows it, but where that green spot in the rendering is, there's actually a road. I can't imagine them removing the road. Not only would it be an ordeal to purchase the right of way, it would effect the exits from two of their existing surface lots and also restrict access to the additional overflow parking to the South of the new building.

This photo that Veloise posted above is actually from a pretty similar angle as the rendering and shows where the existing surface parking is. The road is beyond the fence at a slightly lower grade. You can see a car parked on it.

100_2223.jpg

The Front St side of the new building will match where the existing one is with about 20' to the street. At one time the plan was to convert Front Street & that little piece of Watson Street from Front to the river into a cobblestone promenade. That left the current parking about where it is. I don't know if that's still the case.

The Front St side of the new building will match where the existing one is with about 20' to the street. At one time the plan was to convert Front Street & that little piece of Watson Street from Front to the river into a cobblestone promenade. That left the current parking about where it is. I don't know if that's still the case.

Wow, that sounds cool. Now that's a plaza I can get behind. I haven't been able to get my paws on a site plan, and haven't found one online yet.

[quote name='fotoman311'

It's kind of a perspective thing, Jippy. There is surface parking where the rendering shows it, but where that green spot in the rendering is, there's actually a road. I can't imagine them removing the road. Not only would it be an ordeal to purchase the right of way, it would effect the exits from two of their existing surface lots and also restrict access to the additional overflow parking to the South of the new building.

The Kendall Building will be a huge milestone in my books. Is that going to happen? I thought the latest deal fell through.

Joe

Here we go: long awaited demolition of the "cell tower" building has begun. It's the same feeling I'll get when the Kendall building is finally covered in scaffolding.