GVSU Downtown Development

GRDadof3

I hope they do something with it other than just grass...it seems like a waste I used to go there all the time and that place was always busy and after that and the clark station further down Fulton closed there are no gas stations left on the inner west side.

Also are there any plans for the river front on gvsu's property. I havent been over there in a couple of years but it used to be a boring floodwall....I hope they can at least put a river walk or jogging trail

• 8 months later...

New GVSU Science Lab Building will meet demand for STEM and health students:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/04/gvsu_hosts_groundbreaking_for.html

Plans: http://www.gvsu.edu/cms3/assets/C7309FE5-9B89-AF61-40AC7B73C751E875/final_ps__sd_submission_to_state_for_web.pdf

Looks like they are going to eat up a couple dozen parking spaces to get this in front of the rec center.

Meanwhile, #NewGVRec is trying to gain momentum on twitter.  The students deserve better really.  As an alumni paying for a "membership" the health club experience is pretty lacking.  At 6am it's not so bad, but any other time...no way.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

GVSU buys 524 Butterworth SW, currently occupied by Worthen Industries, and plans to tear it down and build ....... wait for it ...... a parking lot.

GVSU says they just don't have enough parking near there so more surface parking is needed.  Worthen Industries has up to five years to move out according to the deal.

GVSU buys 1.2-acre Butterwoth Street property for $950,000

Those guys have more parking than a mall! So much for their vaulted "urban university" I used to hear about in radio ads. 

And the cost to buy this and pave it over will bump it up past a million dollars!! A million dollar parking lot while tuition continues to go up!

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 1

GVSU buys 524 Butterworth SW, currently occupied by Worthen Industries, and plans to tear it down and build ....... wait for it ...... a parking lot.

GVSU says they just don't have enough parking near there so more surface parking is needed.  Worthen Industries has up to five years to move out according to the deal.

GVSU buys 1.2-acre Butterwoth Street property for $950,000

And what building is the one needing all the extra parking?

Wait for it..... it's the Bicycle Factory.

• 4 months later...

Wasn't sure where exactly to post this, but it looks like Feyen-Zylstra is moving from their home on Front St to a space up by the DeltaPlex.  I wonder if GVSU will buy it to continue amassing land in that area.

https://www.facebook.com/feyenzylstra/photos/a.653603811329967.1073741828.642220269134988/861120860578260/?type=1

1980490_861120860578260_7647641449689253

Wasn't sure where exactly to post this, but it looks like Feyen-Zylstra is moving from their home on Front St to a space up by the DeltaPlex.  I wonder if GVSU will buy it to continue amassing land in that area.

https://www.facebook.com/feyenzylstra/photos/a.653603811329967.1073741828.642220269134988/861120860578260/?type=1

1980490_861120860578260_7647641449689253

I would bet they do.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Consumers Energy is building a training facility next to GVSU's Siedman College of Business, at 140 Front Ave. 

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/07/consumers_energy_to_build_15_m.html

consumers-energy-training-centerjpg-7433

They're leasing a 1/3 acre of land which is "now currently a parking lot," so I assume it's part of the lot between the business school and the old warehouse. 

• 1 month later...

Consumers Energy is building a training facility next to GVSU's Siedman College of Business, at 140 Front Ave. 

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/07/consumers_energy_to_build_15_m.html

consumers-energy-training-centerjpg-7433

They're leasing a 1/3 acre of land which is "now currently a parking lot," so I assume it's part of the lot between the business school and the old warehouse. 

Looks like they're getting ready for groundbreaking ceremony. Tent rentals and construction fence rental companies = gold.

20234914964_c4ae4baab6_b.jpg

Edited by GRDadof3

I was out in Allendale the other day and drove through campus to see the construction. The campus is really filling in with this science building and the attached Market Place finished. They also have a beautiful new "cycle track" (separated bike lane) that runs along this section of campus now. I haven't been able to find any details on it or expanding it (it abruptly ends at the North and South ends of this building). I think I posted on here a few months ago that it was surprising how little bike infrastructure the campus has. All of those apartments West of campus and the road to them doesn't even have a good paved shoulder to it (last time I checked).

http://www.grbj.com/articles/83158-university-completes-55m-science-building

A rendering from the project:

dngvsulab4.jpg

Edited by GRDadof3
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/24/2015 at 8:51 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Looks like they're getting ready for groundbreaking ceremony. Tent rentals and construction fence rental companies = gold.

20234914964_c4ae4baab6_b.jpg

Cycled past this yesterday.  Wish I took a pic but it appears close to completing construction.  Very good looking building.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

A rendering has been released for the upcoming health building north of I-196. Construction begins in December.

IMG_0436.JPG

Not too bad for trying to blend in with the neighborhood. I wish the bigger, darker brick portions would have bigger windows though. Maybe some windows similar to this or some details that wouldn't make it look so flat.

IMG_2513.JPG

I merged this with the main GVSU Development news thread. 

2 hours ago, GRLaker said:

A rendering has been released for the upcoming health building north of I-196. Construction begins in December.

IMG_0436.JPG

There was this out before as well. If I were a betting man, I'd say it's the same architect as the business college? 

IMG_0964.JPG

The mysterious missing rendering is for the new health sciences building that they got approval from the State to build next to the Cook Devos center. :ph34r:

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, jdkacz said:

GVSU buying property for $3.3M for Pew Campus parking lot

I've heard rumors of different things with the Padnos property to GVSU for a while. Looks like they are locking up the property for the future, except for now a parking lot :)

This is the northern Padnos Property off butterworth, not the larger property they own off off wealthy.  It is a move though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2016 at 2:55 PM, GRDadof3 said:

I was wrong, the architect is Fishbeck (FTC&H)

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2016/11/student_demand_spurs_new_gvsu.html

Another angle.

New GVSU Belknap looking NW.JPG

New GVSU Belknap Site Plan.JPG

This bitch is going vertical now. My apologies to anyone offended by that word (vertical). 

• Like 1