GVSU Downtown Development

GRDadof3

• 1 month later...

This has NOTHING to GVSU but it is on my mind. Target announced today it is building an urban concept target in a 12 story building in downtown East Lansing. I don't know how realistic it is to expect Target to do something like that here, but it gives me hope given that they're trying out such a concept in a smaller city like Lansing/East Lansing. I guess I was just thinking about universities and development. 

Okay back to GVSU downtown. 

10 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

This has NOTHING to GVSU but it is on my mind. Target announced today it is building an urban concept target in a 12 story building in downtown East Lansing. I don't know how realistic it is to expect Target to do something like that here, but it gives me hope given that they're trying out such a concept in a smaller city like Lansing/East Lansing. I guess I was just thinking about universities and development. 

Okay back to GVSU downtown. 

That is interesting. Lansing/EL as a metro area is only about half the size of GR's, but they now have a Whole Foods just down the road too. Meijer and Spartan have less of a stranglehold on their market there I think. There are even Krogers there (there were when I grew up there). 

Wow, this is quite a project for little ol East Lansing:

Looks like we're not the only city that doesn't require the parking levels be blended into the rest of the building visually.

ELCCD-AERIALVIEW.jpg

87266_target_east_lansing_downtown_final

• Like 1

Michigan State may be located in a smaller town, but it also has 50,000 roaming its halls. If GVSU and MSU continue their investment into downtown GR and bring more students into the city, I could see something like this becoming a reality. Heck, we already have something similar going in with Meijer on the west side. Imagine a two story Target below student housing in Belknap or the parking lot east of CHS. That would be a nice addition. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GRLaker said:

Michigan State may be located in a smaller town, but it also has 50,000 roaming its halls. If GVSU and MSU continue their investment into downtown GR and bring more students into the city, I could see something like this becoming a reality. Heck, we already have something similar going in with Meijer on the west side. Imagine a two story Target below student housing in Belknap or the parking lot east of CHS. That would be a nice addition. 

I think something like that would be great along that proposed development along the river/Market Ave.  where the "mystery development" was supposed to be. 

• Like 4

On 4/13/2017 at 0:31 PM, jthrasher said:

I think something like that would be great along that proposed development along the river/Market Ave.  where the "mystery development" was supposed to be. 

Good point. It would be right across the river from GVSU's downtown main campus and housing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

More details on the addition to the nursing school on Michigan Street...

There might be a better thread for this so feel free to move it. Also...would love to see a better rendering. Is there even a door on this??? hahaha Seriously though...it is terrible. The far right portion looks like they took nuances of the Kirkhof Center on the river...so gross. 

http://www.gvsu.edu/gvnow/article-index.htm?articleId=92B0DC26-A78C-DA43-FBEA016AB2E42121

Edited by GVSUChris
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2017 at 8:08 AM, GRDadof3 said:

That is interesting. Lansing/EL as a metro area is only about half the size of GR's, but they now have a Whole Foods just down the road too. Meijer and Spartan have less of a stranglehold on their market there I think. There are even Krogers there (there were when I grew up there). 

It has nothing to do with the market share of Meijer and Spartan.   Whole Foods has their own set of demographic criteria for their locations.  Very large Universities are targeted for store locations.    When they came into Michigan they went after East Lansing and Ann Arbor (there are two in Ann Arbor only a couple miles apart).  It's likely that they haven't seen any of the GR suburbs as attractive enough yet from a demographic perspective.  It will be interesting to see what happens with their future expansion once they're a subsidiary of Amazon.  

Edited by scottythe1nonly

Here's a larger version and nope, doesn't look any better. Maybe 3d version will look better?

35935936055_3bc1389384_b.jpg

While digging for renderings, I found their most recent NOBL master plan:

35126727673_a8e749aed5_b.jpg

http://gvsunoblplanning.org/sites/gvsunoblplanning.org/files/user/documents/2017-04-26 GVSU Belknap Steering Committee and Public Open House_Lowres.pdf

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Here's a larger version and nope, doesn't look any better. Maybe 3d version will look better?

35935936055_3bc1389384_b.jpg

While digging for renderings, I found their most recent NOBL master plan:

35126727673_a8e749aed5_b.jpg

http://gvsunoblplanning.org/sites/gvsunoblplanning.org/files/user/documents/2017-04-26 GVSU Belknap Steering Committee and Public Open House_Lowres.pdf

Holy crap...We're taking over downtown.

22 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

With an emphasis on crap in this case. 

Joe

True. GVSU has typically been good at building quality facilities (minus the lack of height), but this one is a dud. It makes absolutely no sense to have two connected building that look completely different from one another.