GVSU Downtown Development

GRDadof3

13 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

True. GVSU has typically been good at building quality facilities (minus the lack of height), but this one is a dud. It makes absolutely no sense to have two connected building that look completely different from one another. 

I get it that the current Cook Devos center doesn't look anything like the other GVSU buildings (done by Design+ I believe which is not around anymore), but GVSU has shown, especially with the spectacular library, that they're willing to break from the mold (mould?) with building design. Why do they feel the need to do something so bland/cliche here? It looks like a bad mix of Eberhard and the business school. 

At least, at a bare minimum, pull in some of the prominent white color from Cook Devos.

Here, get rid of all that beige brick, step 1. 

gvsu white.jpg

• Like 1

This is getting there! Switch it to white, change the window color, and god, I hate that diagonal line that sweeps down to make the facades "line up". Don't even do that. It's just dumb.

It seems like they could easily make this a complimentary add-on without it matching exactly. But right now this looks like a bad addition to a house that people desperately want to tear off. 

Joe

On 7/15/2017 at 8:19 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Here's a larger version and nope, doesn't look any better. Maybe 3d version will look better?

35935936055_3bc1389384_b.jpg

Just because they are committed to remaining a Division 2 school doesn't mean they have to resort to second rate design to prove it.

Edited by wingbert
  • Like 3

With everything new that GVSU is building being that light brown brick, I'm thinking that they have decided to be like Notre Dame in making that color and build material their MO. It's almost as if they view the CHS building as a mistake - a blip in the design radar that they will never go back to. If that is the case though, then do something about it. Reface the CHS building to match what they're connecting to it. Don't just say "whoops" and keep going like it never happened. 

• Like 1

Although I also dislike the contrast between CHS and the addition, it seems like the brick color is very similar to Finkelstein Hall which is under construction. Did the neighborhood have a strong preference for brick in that color? I didn't actively pay attention to the NOBL public involvement process. They may be going in that direction over there as they build out the healthcare/medical campus. Nevertheless, the building looks very institutional. Although, I do like it better than the MSU Secchia Center, which is so institutional blah that it already looks 15 years old. 

Edited by demhem
hate is a strong word :P

Spectrum and GVSU are also going to put a MASSIVE parking structure to the east of this newest building.  I don't remember the exact number of spaces, but I think it's around 2,000-2,500.  This will replace the one on the other side of the highway that the neighbors were not fond of.  Supposedly it will be set back from Michigan so that any future development will hide the structure.

17 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Spectrum and GVSU are also going to put a MASSIVE parking structure to the east of this newest building.  I don't remember the exact number of spaces, but I think it's around 2,000-2,500.  This will replace the one on the other side of the highway that the neighbors were not fond of.  Supposedly it will be set back from Michigan so that any future development will hide the structure.

Hey, look at that...Forward thinking.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2017 at 5:17 PM, Floyd_Z said:

I was looking at that area today. With a ramp the size you're talking, will it go all the way to Fuller? Seems like it would need to be that big. Seems like McDonalds is "in the way", and they recently rebuilt that location, didn't they?

Joe

9 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I was looking at that area today. With a ramp the size you're talking, will it go all the way to Fuller? Seems like it would need to be that big. Seems like McDonalds is "in the way", and they recently rebuilt that location, didn't they?

Joe

They wouldn't be able to go all the way to Fuller because MSU owns all that land that Jade Pig used to own. I can't imagine MSU would sell, whereas Spectrum probably would (and has swapped land with GVSU). McDonalds selling? Not with all those new nursing students next door. Maybe for $5 Million+.

I think I count about 350 - 400 spaces in this footprint, so it'd be a hefty garage of 5 or 6 floors. I left the space in the front for a future liner building as someone mentioned. 

GVSU ramp.JPG

On 7/25/2017 at 10:09 AM, wingbert said:

I swear, this obsession with brown and beige in Grand Rapids is starting to get depressing.  Let's see some creativity.

HIPDC_MOI_12-785x1200.jpg

It's for medical and nursing programs so the colors have to be poop and pee. Oh wait, that's Western's colors? :) (from a WMU alum, lol). 

21 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

They wouldn't be able to go all the way to Fuller because MSU owns all that land that Jade Pig used to own. I can't imagine MSU would sell, whereas Spectrum probably would (and has swapped land with GVSU). McDonalds selling? Not with all those new nursing students next door. Maybe for $5 Million+.

I think I count about 350 - 400 spaces in this footprint, so it'd be a hefty garage of 5 or 6 floors. I left the space in the front for a future liner building as someone mentioned. 

GVSU ramp.JPG

That stretch of I-196 isn't going to be the prettiest drive, what with all the parking garages and the ass end of architecturally blah medical buildings. Maybe if they plant enough trees next to the highway you can blissfully ignore the solid wall of concrete. Or better yet (which I think somebody suggested long ago), bury 196 beneath a long tunnel at this stretch and create a bunch of green space to fill the gap up to Belknap Lookout.

10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Joe

The current McDonalds structure there was built in 1997.  The location itself was dates back to 1973.  The guy in charge of the W. Michigan McOpCo from 2007-2015 was a facilities guru and remodeled w/additions every few years.  That location has been one of the busiest in the region since at least the early 00's.  It'd take more than $5 Million to get McDonalds out of there, the location does almost $4million in revenue annually.  There's no way they'd give up that revenue stream without a sweet deal, or some kind of incorporation (with drive-thru) into a new development.  A slight struggle they have is that lot is a bit small for the volume they do which can cause more cramped parking lot conditions compared to a normal Mickey D's.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mielsonwheels said:

That stretch of I-196 isn't going to be the prettiest drive, what with all the parking garages and the ass end of architecturally blah medical buildings. Maybe if they plant enough trees next to the highway you can blissfully ignore the solid wall of concrete. Or better yet (which I think somebody suggested long ago), bury 196 beneath a long tunnel at this stretch and create a bunch of green space to fill the gap up to Belknap Lookout.

It's weird that you say that, because when you're over by Cook Devos in that little cul-de-sac, the new building on Lafayette only looks like it's a couple hundred yards away and part of the "campus" on the South side, because the highway is down so low. Optical delusion. I took a picture of it but can't find it right now. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Supposedly early this past summer GVSU decided it was imperative to begin pumping concrete down into the ground below its building by the Blue Bridge, and has been doing so all summer.  It was speculated that it was related to a very old mine below the river there, and the flood a few years back caused some problems with it.  Curious as to what was happening that prompted the action.  The likelihood of it being related to the mine seems higher, as a sinkhole has now opened up exactly where the mineshaft entrance was.  The gypsum mine was closed up in 1903.  Photos by local historian Jim Winslow.

25591995_10213500390240765_1803190277681384284_n.jpg

25659515_10213500390080761_8944533157383124781_n.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/25/2017 at 7:10 AM, tSlater said:

Supposedly early this past summer GVSU decided it was imperative to begin pumping concrete down into the ground below its building by the Blue Bridge, and has been doing so all summer.  It was speculated that it was related to a very old mine below the river there, and the flood a few years back caused some problems with it.  Curious as to what was happening that prompted the action.  The likelihood of it being related to the mine seems higher, as a sinkhole has now opened up exactly where the mineshaft entrance was.  The gypsum mine was closed up in 1903.  Photos by local historian Jim Winslow.

25591995_10213500390240765_1803190277681384284_n.jpg

25659515_10213500390080761_8944533157383124781_n.jpg

Personally, I find this fascinating.  I can't believe a crack investigative reporter from one of our local media outlets hasn't jumped on this for a hyperbole filled exposé on the growing sinkhole that will swallow GVSU's downtown campus and drain the river.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2