GVSU Downtown Development

GRDadof3

Just a thought, and absolutely no basis for it other than a whimsical light-bulb moment, but being that I would love to see GVSU multiply its presense downtown exponentially, and chance at all that all of the land acquisition downtown by the the area's big-money people (specifically the Fulton Street property) is being gathered together to put together a huge "legacy" contribution / expansion for GVSU? Yes, a good majority of the schools' buildings downtown grace the names of our generous philanthrapists, but that area could support a whole new campus. The land is likely for future investment purposes, but I'd love to see GVSU be to downtown Grand Rapids what UofM is to Ann Arbor, MSU is to East Lansing, etc., and it would think it could only happen with a base of property this size...

It would be nice to see that happen. But for some reason I was always sort of under the impression that GVSU was never going to try to cut into GRCC's presence downtown.

It would be nice to see that happen. But for some reason I was always sort of under the impression that GVSU was never going to try to cut into GRCC's presence downtown.

Why? They target different students. Besides, competition is healthy...including, and perhaps especially, in the education arena. It's our culture's acceptance of educational monopolies that is contributing to the delinquency of our entire educational system, IMHO.

But I digress... :blush:

Why? They target different students. Besides, competition is healthy...including, and perhaps especially, in the education arena. It's our culture's acceptance of educational monopolies that is contributing to the delinquency of our entire educational system, IMHO.

But I digress... :blush:

I could see them building a big Grad school downtown but as far as really expanding the undergrad operations down there, I just don't see it beyond the business/engineering/health professions. The school has way too much money invested in the Allendale campus. The Allendale campus also affords them a lot of vacant land they can develop without having to demolish any buildings or having to worry about the tighter scrutiny that comes with building in a city. I'm not saying I like it, I think that is just how it is.

It was a very small addition. It looks like they just took the facade off, added like 20 feet and built the facade to match what it was...

In regards to the small addition to the DeVos building...

A sizable gift of money and artwork was given to the university to expand the already present gallery at Pew campus. The gallery was expanded on the main floor of DeVos center, and then student meeting spaces were added on the second and third floors. A small project, but beneficial to the arts department and student orgs. none the less! :)

I could see them building a big Grad school downtown but as far as really expanding the undergrad operations down there, I just don't see it beyond the business/engineering/health professions. The school has way too much money invested in the Allendale campus. The Allendale campus also affords them a lot of vacant land they can develop without having to demolish any buildings or having to worry about the tighter scrutiny that comes with building in a city. I'm not saying I like it, I think that is just how it is.

Yeah that does make a lot of sense...and I think it would be fantastic if the GR campus converts into a Graduate School...being that grad schools don't necessarily have to be as big compared to regular campuses. They do have a lot of land out there in Allendale to play with.

I just wish that they would expand a little bit more and eat up those darn parking lots with some nice campus buildings.

I always wonder what it would look like if the allendale campus never existed. They could have had a river walk with a bridge across the river - have some nice buildings going in the city riverside 16 acre ordeal with a giant football stadium - would definitely give GR more of a big college town feel.

Edited by blueradon

• 1 month later...

Grand Valley is kicking off a $50 Million campaign, with the headline attraction to be a new $70 Million library on their Allendale campus.

2569575778_28375006c2_o.jpg

I like the design, not only because of its modern "Berlin-ish" feel, but also because it mixes up the look of buildings on campus. I find it puzzling though why they would choose some relatively unknown architectural firm out of Texas to design it (?).

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/06/gran...iversity_2.html

Not a huge fan of the design but I'll give it a chance. Just once I'd like to see a modern building that is designed to look warm and inviting.

Any one know if they plan to build this where Zumberge currently is? That is sort of a small spot. The tree line they illustrate looks a lot like the tree lines along the sidewalks that lead up to the Cook Carillon Tower and Student Services. There is plenty of greenspace next to Student Services for a project this size. The rendering also illustrates a corner of a building off to the right. This wouldn't make sense on the current site b/c all that is to the right of Zumberge is a walkway, railing, and the ravine. The only other building it could be would be the PAC and for that to be the case they would've had to illustrate the pond in front of the building, which they didn't.

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves but since GV seems to really be in the mode of completely overhauling everything, anyone have any opinions what the next big project will be once the library gets built?

A couple of my ideas:

-Constructing a new indoor sports arena (either an entire new bldg. or replacing the Fieldhouse)

-Renovation of the original Lakes buildings

-Replacing the original residential halls (Copland, Kistler, etc.)

-Expansion of the PAC

Edited by j3shafer

Not a huge fan of the design but I'll give it a chance. Just once I'd like to see a modern building that is designed to look warm and inviting.

Any one know if they plan to build this where Zumberge currently is? That is sort of a small spot. The tree line they illustrate looks a lot like the tree lines along the sidewalks that lead up to the Cook Carillon Tower and Student Services. There is plenty of greenspace next to Student Services for a project this size. The rendering also illustrates a corner of a building off to the right. This wouldn't make sense on the current site b/c all that is to the right of Zumberge is a walkway, railing, and the ravine. The only other building it could be would be the PAC and for that to be the case they would've had to illustrate the pond in front of the building, which they didn't.

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves but since GV seems to really be in the mode of completely overhauling everything, anyone have any opinions what the next big project will be once the library gets built?

A couple of my ideas:

-Constructing a new indoor sports arena (either an entire new bldg. or replacing the Fieldhouse)

-Renovation of the original Lakes buildings

-Replacing the original residential halls (Copland, Kistler, etc.)

-Expansion of the PAC

Looks like it will be right on the main sidewalk leading up the the Cook tower. I really like that as an open lawn but alas a new library would also be great! I also agree that it'd be nice to see a building that would be warm and inviting. With this building being in such a prominant place I hope that it really does serve its location justice.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8460940

I love it. $70 million is a lot of money, so this thing had better be nice! I attended GVSU and I'm still struggling to place the exact location though.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. Also, I do like the old library even though it's a big piece of concrete. I hope it's renovated and put back to good use.

Edited by AlexPKeaton

That's a great location for it in my opinion. The large open lawn area is really underutilized with the exception of freshman Transition week and a few people playing frisbee when it's nice out.

It also gives another destination at the main Rapid hub on campus located at Kirkhof right next door. The 50, 37, and 48 all make their main stop at Kirkhof, so it'll be a 30 second walk to the "Learning and Information Commons." That's a long name for a library...

That's a great location for it in my opinion. The large open lawn area is really underutilized with the exception of freshman Transition week and a few people playing frisbee when it's nice out.

It also gives another destination at the main Rapid hub on campus located at Kirkhof right next door. The 50, 37, and 48 all make their main stop at Kirkhof, so it'll be a 30 second walk to the "Learning and Information Commons." That's a long name for a library...

I'm sure it will affectionately become to be known as the LIC :P

Hmm, not much of a departure from the cement block that is the original library, but I really like that green roof on the top and the natural lighting. I think if you took away that grid of cement in the front and had pure glass, that would be amazing. With the grid of cement, it kind of reminds me of the 5/3 building DT. I hope they renovate and not tear down the Zumberge Library because, with a little tlc, I think it could have some great potential. I always hated going to Zumberge to study though.

library1.jpg

When I see "modern" buildings like these, I tend to worry that they'll end up looking dated in 10-15 years. It's something I keep in mind.

Edited by d8alterego

Hmm, not much of a departure from the cement block that is the original library, but I really like that green roof on the top and the natural lighting. I think if you took away that grid of cement in the front and had pure glass, that would be amazing. With the grid of cement, it kind of reminds me of the 5/3 building DT. I hope they renovate and not tear down the Zumberge Library because, with a little tlc, I think it could have some great potential. I always hated going to Zumberge to study though.

When I see "modern" buildings like these, I tend to worry that they'll end up looking dated in 10-15 years. It's something I keep in mind.

The 'grid' in the front is completely different than the 5/3 building. These appear to be thin blades that would basically provide shade for that glass wall behind it. A great passive strategy to allow more transparency without the massive heat gain that comes from a glass box...

The 'grid' in the front is completely different than the 5/3 building. These appear to be thin blades that would basically provide shade for that glass wall behind it. A great passive strategy to allow more transparency without the massive heat gain that comes from a glass box...

I agree. I think it's almost a perfect masonry to glass ratio. I wonder if it will be LEED Certified?

With the grid of cement, it kind of reminds me of the 5/3 building DT.

The grid is exactly what I find so great about the design. Without it, it would just be another boring glass box. Glass boxes have been done to death. Whether a building ends up looking dated probably has less to do with the architectural style used, but with the actual implementation. Did the 5/3 building ever actually look good, or was it just shiny and new at one point?

The grid is exactly what I find so great about the design. Without it, it would just be another boring glass box. Glass boxes have been done to death. Whether a building ends up looking dated probably has less to do with the architectural style used, but with the actual implementation. Did the 5/3 building ever actually look good, or was it just shiny and new at one point?

I think it would help if they reduced the amount of distance the concrete sticks out from the glass. However, I don't know if that would be structurally possible.

I'm sure it will affectionately become to be known as the LIC :P

:lol: No kidding! If they really want a long, overly complicated name, why not call it the Learning and Information Building? (I don't get the "commons" thing being so common on that campus anyway...) That way they can shorten it to the L.I.B.rary.

I hope they renovate and not tear down the Zumberge Library because, with a little tlc, I think it could have some great potential. I always hated going to Zumberge to study though.

I heard it'll be renovated and used for additional classrooms.

I agree. I think it's almost a perfect masonry to glass ratio. I wonder if it will be LEED Certified?

All buildings at Grand Valley are required to be LEED Certifiable (follow the points but maybe not get the little plaque) but I think the majority of the time, GVSU just goes ahead and certifies the buildings as well for the minor additional cost.

• 2 months later...