Margaritaville Hotel,12 stories, 145 ft., 215 rooms

markhollin

Safe Harbor Developers has finalized the $8.25 million purchase of the .08-acre plot of land at the NW corner of 5th Ave. South and Peabody for the $65 million, 12-story (145 ft.), 215 room Margaritaville Hotel (these are amended figures as of Mar 14, 2017---originally it was set at 15 stories, 175 feet, and 238 rooms). Construction to begin in May of 2017, with plans to be open by 3rd quarter of 2018.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/11/15/nashvilles-margaritaville-hotel-site-sold-825-million/93918222/

636009186601599807-view-107.jpg

636009186573987453-view-105.jpg

636009186568215379-view-103.jpg

636009186599727783-view-102.jpg

636009186582099557-view-101.jpg

636008315462861876-margaritaville3.JPG

636008326541102915-margaritaville4.jpg

636008276589098318-margaritaville.JPG

636009186605967863-view-108.jpg

636009186598947773-view-110.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Hope they keep that "Nashville" written on the wall in case people forget what city they're visiting. :rolleyes:

I like the idea of having a cool mural or something Nashville-eque on the wall just for the social media photo opportunities that it would provide visitors. But it's kinda hard to  make that happen with cars parked there, if that's their actual plan.

Edited by Jamie Hall

Must be a Margaritaville hotel because it has a parrot on the door. "Man we went to ________ and stayed at... get ready... mm-hmm [nodding and smiling excitedly]... Margaritaville!  Ooooh, I'm such a parrothead!"

So disappointed that there is no swim-up bar with a thatch roof at the edge of the pool. Can't you just picture the sagging sexagenarians hanging out by the pool?  Literally, hanging!

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, claya91 said:

This hotel screams cheap, chain tourist trap garbage. I'd instantly like it twice as much without the Margaritaville logo. 

Completely agreed. Take away the signage and the tacky tropical plants, and the design is one of the better ones as far as hotels proposed in SoBro. Despite this, I really don't like the kind of tone that this hotel could set for the neighborhood. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure what makes this look "cheap" according to some posters here. It looks fairly similar to a lot of the other boxy hotels going up around the center city. Besides just plain not liking the "Margaritaville" moniker, and a parrot painted on a facing near the entrance, I'm not sure what could be so offensive.  Most of the trees within the design look like leafy indigenous types. The palm trees are on the amenities deck around the swimming pool, and won't be that visible---and even if they are---I don't understand could be so distasteful about them.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, markhollin said:

I'm not sure what makes this look "cheap" according to some posters here. It looks fairly similar to a lot of the other boxy hotels going up around the center city. Besides just plain not liking the "Margaritaville" moniker, and a parrot painted on a facing near the entrance, I'm not sure what could be so offensive.  Most of the trees within the design look like leafy indigenous types. The palm trees are on the amenities deck around the swimming pool, and won't be that visible---and even if they are---I don't understand could be so distasteful about them.  

Very suburban design that should not be in the core.  Why are so many hotels like this popping up all of a sudden? I swear developers come to nashville and just decide to throw away all creativity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

As I stated in my above post, its not the design itself so much as some small details of the design. I feel that the wood (?) detail that is all over the building may look much more offensive in real life than it does in this rendering, and details like the parrot and the tropical plants will really detract from it as well. It is very reminiscent of Disney World in my opinion in that it is trying to create this separate environment that doesn't blend into its surroundings whatsoever, and I don't think that something like this belongs in any urban area. It is really gimmicky, and I think that all of these details will stick out more on a real building. I mean just thinking about a tropical-themed hotel in the middle of a landlocked state is pretty ridiculous in itself.

23 minutes ago, Nashtitans said:

Very suburban design that should not be in the core.  Why are so many hotels like this popping up all of a sudden? I swear developers come to nashville and just decide to throw away all creativity.

I think that especially for hotels, developers are prioritizing a higher margin of profit over creating a well designed building. I also think that more affordably-priced hotel rooms are in a huge demand right now, so naturally cheaper brands result in cheaper designs. It's unfortunate, but hotels are also not usually architectural masterpieces. 

9 hours ago, henburg said:

It is very reminiscent of Disney World in my opinion in that it is trying to create this separate environment that doesn't blend into its surroundings whatsoever, and I don't think that something like this belongs in any urban area.

hell, Nashville is becoming a weekend Disney World for adults, id be fine if the building had fireworks shooting off the roof every half hour

Edited by bhibbs

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

At some point, it will be hidden by whatever is built at the corner of 6th and KVB. Sort of a Hyatt Place situation. It stuck out like a sore thumb and is now slowly being hidden in the mass.

Will there be anything taking up the surface parking between the hotel and the MCC at the corner of 5th and KVB?  (Based on the pics above)  It would be terrible if surface parking, and that ugly hotel wall, will be the only thing facing KVB.