Margaritaville Hotel,12 stories, 145 ft., 215 rooms

markhollin

• 4 weeks later...

From Nashville Post:

Knoxville-based Safe Harbor Development has its funding in place and a groundbreaking could take place by August’s end related to the 12-story Margaritaville Hotel project eyed for SoBro, Nashville Business Journal reports.

Darby Campbell, Safe Harbor president, told NBJ he has his equity partners, with Knoxville-based Clayton Bank (to be acquired by Nashville-based FirstBank) providing the bulk of the debt.

Campbell told the business publication he is having discussions with Nashville-based D.F. Chase Inc. to serve as construction manger.

The hotel is now expected to be open in the second half of 2019, Campbell said.

According to a March-issued release, the completion for the project was targeted for the end of 2018. Previously, the company announced a first quarter 2019 opening for the hotel building, to be located at the northwest corner of the intersection of Fifth Avenue South and Peabody Street.

The 215-room hotel building is planned to have rooftop amenities including an outdoor pool, a sundeck and a bar/lounge area; a fitness center; meeting and function spaces; and a full-service restaurant and a coffee shop. The hotel is inspired by the lyrics and lifestyle of singer and songwriter Jimmy Buffett, who released the hit song "Margaritaville" in 1977.

The previously announced room count was about 238 rooms with the story count originally eyed at 14 floors.

The hotel — the project price tag for which has been reported at about $65 million — will have an address of 425 Fifth Ave. S. The property sits one-half block south of the Music City Center.

Nashville-based ESa is the architect.

Safe Harbor Development created Jimmy’s Last Laugh LLC to acquire the two-parcel site in November for $8.25 million. Of note, Safe Harbor Development sister entity Safe Harbor Marina specializes in marina development.

The hotel will be located on a parcel located within a four-block radius of no fewer than five existing hotel buildings, three hotel buildings under construction and eight planned hotel buildings.

Last June, the Metro Development and Housing Agency Design Review Committee approved the concept plan for the project.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So this one looks like it's really happening huh? I guess it's not the worst design ever, but I really hope we don't start seeing more kitsch like this going up all over the place. 

41 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

As a guest it would seem odd to walk out of a beach-themed hotel room onto the streets of very non-beachy downtown Nashville ... but oh well. Just one opinion.

I completely agree. Frankly, if I wanted to go to the beach, I'd go to the beach. I don't see the point of traveling all the way somewhere only to stay in a hotel pretending it's somewhere completely different.

Is that not Walt Disney World's entire business model toward their hospitality offerings ...taken to another level of course?

22 minutes ago, henburg said:

So this one looks like it's really happening huh? I guess it's not the worst design ever, but I really hope we don't start seeing more kitsch like this going up all over the place. 

I completely agree. Frankly, if I wanted to go to the beach, I'd go to the beach. I don't see the point of traveling all the way somewhere only to stay in a hotel pretending it's somewhere completely different.