Margaritaville Hotel,12 stories, 145 ft., 215 rooms

markhollin

I predict that within 5 years the north and west sides of this hotel will be covered-up by larger structures.  We just need to be patient.  Either way, this 12 story structure is a vast improvement over the dilapidated 1 story cinder block warehouse, gravel lot, and weeds that used to be there.  

• Like 3

Agreed. The first misstep was the Omni which fell way short of what that location should contain. Of course, MDHA did not even tie any height or design requirements in exchange for the privilege of being the MCCs "anchor".  Personal story: I actually avoid staying there on the few occasions I have to stay overnight in Nashville. just because I don't like the look of it; and now of course, there are far better looking hotels in the area. I stayed at the Thompson last March. My next trip, I plan to stay at the JWM.  Regarding the Omni's design, I recently perused a discussion forum for one of the cities here  (I truly forgot which one but I think it's Kansas City or maybe San Diego) and they were discussing the different Omni hotels around the USA. Every comment noted how ugly/plain the Nashville Omni is. And it should have been 15 stories taller. Sure, the rooms are nice and the views are nice (they won't be obstructed either!). Street-level activity is fair, although IMHO it's gimmicky, but other than that the structure instead just blends into the walls around it. 

Regarding the Marriott tri-whatever, it was never going to be anything remarkable. Bland and soulless. Of course, many pixels have been "spilled" here over the complete cluster of crap that the Westin is. A mishmash of dated designs, it is the only tall building in Nashville I wish was much shorter (if it has to exist at all). Holiday Inn is just that... A Holiday Inn. The Margaritaville is not much more than a joke to me, but I applaud the opportunity. I expect it will stand at that corner much like a Goofy Golf putt-putt game would sit on Park Avenue. Of course, KVB is no Park Avenue.  But the all do make adequate infill for the time being.

Can't do anything about the Hampton, which deserves props just for being a pioneer in Sobro. I'm sure it rakes in tons of money. But it's ugly too. The MCC's frontage on KVB is disappointing, but I understand it is the "service entrance" to the building. As noted on these boards before, it was a missed opportunity to put certain retail space along that 1-2 blocks of sidewalk. 

There are some bright spots! Drury may actually exceed its expectations, and the woefully ugly Hyatt Place is fortunately being covered by the buildings around it.

So I guess it will be up to the Joseph to punch up the aesthetics along KVB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Omni was constructed during the peak of the recession, and the city had to underwrite the financing package in addition to pumping in TIF. We're lucky it was built at all, frankly. The rest of the beige blocks being built have no excuse outside of maximizing ROI.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

For reference, Heres the Margaritaville Hotel currently under construction in Manhattan. Foundation work has finally resumed after a few delays. 

image.thumb.png.4a4cfddd64ca1811089720aff7d80fe3.png

I can't fathom going to New York City and booking the Margaritaville Hotel.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Where I would book a room in NYC would be all about the best I could get for a reasonable cost. If the best I can get for the money is at Margaritaville, I’d be wearing a floral print shirt and looking for that damn lost shaker of salt!

Fair enough. The two extremely contrasting vibez would mess with my head!

On 1/19/2019 at 1:17 PM, archilove said:

The space between the Omni and the convention center plus Walk of Fame Park is one of my favorite downtown spots. It is impressive looking with great views, has lots to do and is great for people watching. The Omni also has a very nice lobby with some good restaurants, and the much-maligned Westin is actually quite enjoyable inside and features a fine rooftop lounge.

I feel like there were some plans, at some point, that included the corner of Bridgestone arena to open up to an outdoor bar or something like that?  Right now it's a practice performance hall.  Does anyone have the plans or recollection of what was being planned for that?  If it comes to fruition, that will be quite an intersection.

2 hours ago, TheRaglander said:

I feel like there were some plans, at some point, that included the corner of Bridgestone arena to open up to an outdoor bar or something like that?  Right now it's a practice performance hall.  Does anyone have the plans or recollection of what was being planned for that?  If it comes to fruition, that will be quite an intersection.

The Predators organization has some vague long-range plans for completely maximizing the arena campus.  That corner would definitely include some street activation.  spree talk about possibly creating a more public music room that could also be utilized in it's current rendition as a rehearsal hall.  I'm sure we'll see more plans rolled-out in the next few years.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I spy with my little eyes a parking lot primed for development. Is that for MCC expansion? 

I pray something amazing is placed on these lots right next to KVB.  The one on the corner is so prime and could contribute to what could be one hell of an intersection.  Does anyone have any idea of what could go here?  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

I pray something amazing is placed on these lots right next to KVB.  The one on the corner is so prime and could contribute to what could be one hell of an intersection.  Does anyone have any idea of what could go here?  

Something tells me it will be a ~15 story hotel with the first 10 floors being a parking pedestal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, AUNash said:

Why all the above ground parking recently? I work in the SunTrust bldg and our parking is below ground. So why would Eakin have done that when ST was developed, if above ground is cheaper? Was he required to for the ST development for some reason?

The above ground parking decks for Margaritaville Hotel, Marriott TriBrand, and The Joseph are due to water main and primary sewer that runs beneath all of those lots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's also about money. Excavating for parking costs lots more than simply going up. Underground parking also requires ventilation and dealing with water, which adds cost.

Time (which relates to money) is also a factor. The faster the building opens the faster you can pay loans and make money.

Perhaps if the city put more requirements on the appearance of above ground parking the costs just might work out better.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1