Pittsburgh Watertaxis return

PghUSA

The Watertaxi program that really came online fully last summer is coming back and better then ever (though a bit more pricey ;) ). The service will operate on all three rivers in downtown Pittsburgh . . . yet another reason Pittsburgh is the Venice of America! (Most churches outside of Utah, city with the most neo-gothic architecture outside of Europe and most Bridges in the world sans Venice!).

;)

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stor...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Water taxis start for summer

Jennifer Curry PITTSBURGH BUSINESS TIMES

The Port of Pittsburgh announced plans Friday to reinstate its river shuttle service starting this weekend.

The river shuttles will leave on the hour from Station Square and will go to the Carnegie Science Center, Point State Park, PNC Park and the Convention Center.

Service will run from 6 p.m. to midnight on Fridays, noon to midnight on Saturdays, and noon to 6 p.m. on Sundays . . .

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice. I hope they advertise it well, expecially to tourists.

Those prices sound reasonable, although I believe they should offer per-ride prices as well. If someone only wants to ride across the river and back, $8 seems a bit steep.

Still, this is a good thing!

Acutally I just found out the first of these water taxis began in 2001 and has pretty much made an appearance every summer.

here's a map of the original routes in 2001:

20010520watertaximap.gif

I agree Gerbil $8 for one ride is a bit steep but the views are well worth it ;)

I really hope the city responds to these, they have been on shaky financial footing recently. If they do go it's not like Pittsburgh has NO water taxi type service.

The Gateway Clipper Fleet (think a local Delta Queen type fleet) and JD Tours which has a WWII troop ship that gives tours around the three rivers as well as the Northeastern terminus for the legendary Delta Queen (although it has only the one stop in Pittsburgh and other then if you are heading to the Western river suburbs isn't really a "pittsburgh" water taxi), are all solid Pittsburgh citizens.

I remember that first one, that went from Millvale into town. On the first day only one person rode!

But evidently the new water taxis are getting decent ridership. I am glad, because it is a nice way to get around the downtown area. Especially for tourists. They could stay at the Sheraton Station Square, and hop a water taxi to get downtown for a show, to the north shore for a game or museum, to the convention center for their convention (if that's why they are here), etc. Nobody could possibly say that there is nothing to do here if they can get around that easily. You could amuse yourself for days jaunting around on the water taxi to museums, the aviary, Station Square, etc.

^^the rivers are definetly the key to changing perspectives of our city.

As I mentioned in my opening post, Pittsburgh is in so many ways the Venice or Rotterdam or Vienna of America.

Along with the most old world churches in the US, largest collection of neo-gothic structures in the US, and most bridges in the world outside of Venice itself, Pittsburgh really has an opportunity to showcase itself on its rivers, plus those great views of all those churches and neo-gothic buildings.

Archived