Embassy Suites (30 stories, 500 rooms), 1 Hotel (18 stories, 221 rooms)

smeagolsfree

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 9:07 AM, downtownresident said:

It took them forever to finish excavation. I’m excited to see that the Embassy portion is about to hit ground level. 

Agree.  Even though this project is close to JW Marriott, the taller part is at Seventh and Demonbreun and will be prominent from several directions.  It will be an impressive addition to the amazing transformation of Demonbreun, a street formerly known for its body shops and supply houses.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, titanhog said:

^^Love the design...but I don't see anyway they'll have all of that greenery on the side of the building.  With Nashville's temps, that greenery will look awful at least half the year.  It's one thing to do a green roof...but the vines on the side of the building, IMO, won't work well here.

Unfortunately, you’re right. However, judging by what’s visible under the greenery, I think it’s still going to look fine either way. I still can’t get enough of that “music note” wall...

• Like 3

On 11/27/2019 at 6:59 PM, titanhog said:

^^Love the design...but I don't see anyway they'll have all of that greenery on the side of the building.  With Nashville's temps, that greenery will look awful at least half the year.  It's one thing to do a green roof...but the vines on the side of the building, IMO, won't work well here.

The titanhog has a point.  Didn't the Omni try to have greenery on the Fourth Avenue side?  I think I recall seeing metal brackets on the side and the vines...well, they died on the vine.  This is not Key West.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

It's not clear to me if you're saying our climate is too hot, too cold, or what, but it's not that different from Paris and they have many examples of far more ambitious greenery incorporated into buildings.   First 2 are Paris, #3 is Madrid.

We fall in a climate zone that is very tricky for plants / grasses.  Go a tad north, and there are certain plants and grasses that thrive that don't thrive here.  It amazes me the super green grass they get just north of here in the fall that we never get here.

Go a little farther south and again, plants and grass that work great...but not here.

We are in almost a no-man's land.  Too hot or too cold.  

I'm just saying it would take someone with a super-green thumb to keep that type of greenery looking nice in Nashville on an expensive hotel.  I bet when they really start looking into what's available for our climate, they may have second thoughts.

As Smeagols has said...Kudzu would work nice here. :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CenterHill said:

The 1 Hotel Central Park in NYC has a 3-story green wall and New York's climate is at least as variable as Nashville's.      The plants used on these are selected for their ability to thrive in the local climate.    

That looks pretty good... who knows, maybe they can get something to work! :w00t:

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 11:53 PM, PianoKing03 said:

Unfortunately, you’re right. However, judging by what’s visible under the greenery, I think it’s still going to look fine either way. I still can’t get enough of that “music note” wall...

If, the name you go by here means you are musically inclined, can you determine the song, if any, that is represented by the façade artwork?

49157872697_019500721d_c.jpg

From LK Architecture...

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:39 AM, titanhog said:

As Smeagols has said...Kudzu would work nice here. :D

But Kudzu would turn brown in the winter.  I suggest Japanese honeysuckle vine that is semi-evergreen.  I think it would be a little too hot & dry for the types of ivy you seen in NYC or London or Paris.  But Japanese honeysuckle vine, which is an invasive species in TN, can tolerate the heat.  And it has flowers.  And it's fragrant.  But it would probably need to be harvested from the wild because basically nobody cultivates it for sale commercially.

3 hours ago, PHofKS said:

If, the name you go by here means you are musically inclined, can you determine the song, if any, that is represented by the façade artwork?

49157872697_019500721d_c.jpg

From LK Architecture...

As much as I wish I could quickly give you an answer, I’m really not certain...  although some of the notes are a bit hard to tell which bar they’re on, and they’re quite close together... I wonder if they’ll change it on the actual building.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Armacing said:

But Kudzu would turn brown in the winter.  I suggest Japanese honeysuckle vine that is semi-evergreen.  I think it would be a little too hot & dry for the types of ivy you seen in NYC or London or Paris.  But Japanese honeysuckle vine, which is an invasive species in TN, can tolerate the heat.  And it has flowers.  And it's fragrant.  But it would probably need to be harvested from the wild because basically nobody cultivates it for sale commercially.

Right.  For as vigorous as Kudzu is in the hot months, it goes brown and dormant in the winter and drops those millions of leaves.    A horrible plant.     Plus, I wouldn't want to be responsible for even one more Kudzu seed being introduced into TN.     

English ivy as used in the NYC pictures is extremely hardy here in TN and remains evergreen all winter.     Boston ivy is another good climber that is beautiful in the summer, turns orange/red in the fall, but then goes largely dormant in the winter.    Many of these walls being designed today don't necessarily use vines, but incorporate vertical structures with fibrous growing mediums that permit the use of succulents and other hardy plants.     Other plants that are native and work well in this region are trumpet vine and wisteria and Virginia creeper, but all of them are vigorous growers and would require regular trimming.      I'll actually be interested to see what the landscape architects choose to go with on the 1 Hotel.