Embassy Suites (30 stories, 500 rooms), 1 Hotel (18 stories, 221 rooms)

smeagolsfree

On the first four photos that Markhollin posted it appears as though there's one section that they're working on now which is suddenly much taller than than everything else.  I had thought that we were already at the top of the roof but the roof looks flat on the renders except that it juts up at one end so I can't figure out what this is.  Is that actually going to be the height of the roof?  Thanks!

9 hours ago, MontanaGuy said:

On the first four photos that Markhollin posted it appears as though there's one section that they're working on now which is suddenly much taller than than everything else.  I had thought that we were already at the top of the roof but the roof looks flat on the renders except that it juts up at one end so I can't figure out what this is.  Is that actually going to be the height of the roof?  Thanks!

Based on the large PDF that was released months ago, the 30th floor is at 790’ above sea level(I assume that’s what the height entails) and the very top floor of the tower is at 837’. So maybe another 47’ to go, plus the spire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I have a question on these two towers and I'm confident someone here can help educate me. This is NOT a post to compare projects and say this is better than that, etc. but rather an observation which has me curious. I went back in the pages, and the Embassy & 1 Hotel property saw digging begin on or around January 24, 2019. Today, a little over two years later, they've recently topped out the 18 floor 1 Hotel, and seem to be near or at topping out the 30 floor Embassy.  I've always felt like this development moved at a far slower pace than many others. I currently live in Chicago (but born & raised in Nashville), so I looked to see how developments here compared in terms of timeline. 

There is a 2 tower development here called One Chicago. Digging on that project began on or around March 13, 2019, roughly 2 months after the Embassy property broke ground. Today One Chicago has just topped out the shorter tower at 49 floors (574ft) and has passed about 700ft on the taller tower, on it's way to a final height of 971ft. 

I'm sure there are myriad reasons why comparing timelines on a hotel property versus a residential property are not apples to apples, but can you all help me understand why the Embassy/1 Hotel property has risen 18 and roughly 28 or so floors in two months more time than another development has risen 49 and roughly 60 floors? Just curious how engineering, foundations, etc. may differ to explain the different. I find this stuff fascinating and am always keen to better understand the process. 

1 hour ago, Nashcago said:

I have a question on these two towers and I'm confident someone here can help educate me. This is NOT a post to compare projects and say this is better than that, etc. but rather an observation which has me curious. I went back in the pages, and the Embassy & 1 Hotel property saw digging begin on or around January 24, 2019. Today, a little over two years later, they've recently topped out the 18 floor 1 Hotel, and seem to be near or at topping out the 30 floor Embassy.  I've always felt like this development moved at a far slower pace than many others. I currently live in Chicago (but born & raised in Nashville), so I looked to see how developments here compared in terms of timeline. 

There is a 2 tower development here called One Chicago. Digging on that project began on or around March 13, 2019, roughly 2 months after the Embassy property broke ground. Today One Chicago has just topped out the shorter tower at 49 floors (574ft) and has passed about 700ft on the taller tower, on it's way to a final height of 971ft. 

I'm sure there are myriad reasons why comparing timelines on a hotel property versus a residential property are not apples to apples, but can you all help me understand why the Embassy/1 Hotel property has risen 18 and roughly 28 or so floors in two months more time than another development has risen 49 and roughly 60 floors? Just curious how engineering, foundations, etc. may differ to explain the different. I find this stuff fascinating and am always keen to better understand the process. 

Great question. You make a good point. No doubt the One Hotel / Embassy project is slow. I'd like to know why, too.

Great question!

I am not sure but I would bet that Metro codes is partially to blame as they cant chew gum and scratch their rear at the same time. They are running weeks if not months behind and sometimes work just has to stop because they are so backed up.  Another reason maybe the fact the the Chicago construction companies just get it done more efficiently. Yates Construction is OK but the are not a Turner or AECOM.  The revenues of those companies dwarf Yates by a lot.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Great question!

I am not sure but I would bet that Metro codes is partially to blame as they cant chew gum and scratch their rear at the same time. They are running weeks if not months behind and sometimes work just has to stop because they are so backed up.  Another reason maybe the fact the the Chicago construction companies just get it done more efficiently. Yates Construction is OK but the are not a Turner or AECOM.  The revenues of those companies dwarf Yates by a lot.

Sounds quite plausible. Thanks Smeagol

I’ve always thought the same about Nashville towers being built slowly. I think there are three main factors: engineering, economics, and codes. For engineering, the problem is excavation. Nashville’s limestone bedrock is sometimes already exposed or under a few feet of soil. Compare this to other areas such a Memphis where you could dig a mile deep and not reach the bedrock. Limestone is especially hard to blast through and takes a lot longer to dig up than soil.

Economically, I wonder if the comparative lack of competition in the city slows down construction. With the amount of already available office space in places like New York and Chicago, compared to Nashville, I would think that there is a much stronger incentive to have the space ready to go as fast as possible. Then for codes, smeagol discussed how slow they are.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, PostRural said:

I wonder if the special construction style of the Embassy floors (full concrete boxes for every room) had anything to do with slowing it down too? I have no expertise, it's just my guess/assumption. 

I thought that too... I'd assume constructing hundreds of individual little "boxes" probably takes more time. It just seems odd that they wouldn't have more incentive to move quickly. Just the tower cranes themselves can cost $15,000 per month to keep on site, not to mention all the manhours. I'd think the hotel (at least pre-covid hotels) would want to fling open the doors as quickly as possible and let the tourists with their wallets filter in. I appreciate the various theories people added in. All interesting stuff. 

• Like 2

I thought that too... I'd assume constructing hundreds of individual little "boxes" probably takes more time. It just seems odd that they wouldn't have more incentive to move quickly. Just the tower cranes themselves can cost $15,000 per month to keep on site, not to mention all the manhours. I'd think the hotel (at least pre-covid hotels) would want to fling open the doors as quickly as possible and let the tourists with their wallets filter in. I appreciate the various theories people added in. All interesting stuff. 

You make very good points and I agree, it is puzzling. Even with all those boxes, the contrast in the two timelines seems more than it should be. Interesting stuff, indeed. 

23 hours ago, Nashcago said:

I think word of mouth on hotels' sound attenuation (or lack thereof) spreads quickly and can have an effect ultimately on room rates / demand. At least to a point that this developer thought it was worth the cost to do the concrete boxes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2