Embassy Suites (30 stories, 500 rooms), 1 Hotel (18 stories, 221 rooms)

smeagolsfree

On 5/9/2022 at 7:16 AM, smeagolsfree said:

I am sorry guys, but ivy on a building looks absolutely stupid. As a matter of fact, it just looks CREEPY! Pun intended. If this were a 17th century building then maybe, but as far as modern structures it just hurts my eyes. You guys may like it, but it just looks out of place. The problem is it's about the only thing they will find that will grow other than kudzu that will not die.

The bare concrete columns inside are just lacking if that's what it is. Sorry the industrial look is getting tiring. Architecture has become a slave to cheap developers trying to cut corners. At least make the lobbies grand again. None of the hotel lobby spaces in this town blow me over. Most of it is just creamed cheese. I have always had issues with Interior designers. The ones I have met I when I was in the hotel industry, I had personality conflicts with as well. They all thought they were better than everyone else.

Not trying to piss off the architects here either. I just hate the ugly plants on the outside of the buildings. They just do not work. There is a better way to incorporate a building into the environment and nature or vice versa I think, and we just have not found it yet. I do not have a problem with a green roof either. It's just trying to make a building look like a tree that makes no sense to me.

I agree with the point about bare concrete columns.  Didn't like them on the Alliance-Bernstein building either.   Asurion did a nice job clading theirs in brushed aluminum and City Center (below) did it well in the eighties.

image.thumb.jpeg.d8919e9a57906ae82600edba7c1d6871.jpeg

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the bare concrete is a money driven decision where the finish appearance is acceptable enough to decision makers that they do not want to cover it up. There are a myriad of reasons why exposed concrete is the decided point and design is a very subjective element. I personally don't mind the concrete when finished nicely. For example, the warmth of the other finishes in the space below (Good Citizen Coffee) works well with the cool finish of the concrete to the point where is really is not overtly noticeable. Unless of course people are seeking out things to critique, but who on this board would actively do that :tw_glasses:

On 5/9/2022 at 5:39 AM, markhollin said:

Interior shot of Good Citizen Coffee and lobby from Demonbreun:

Embassy Suites:1 Hotel, May 8, 2022, 13.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I asked some folks for their unbiased opinion about what they thought about the ivy or whatever it is yesterday while walking. The responses I got were ugly and hideous. That was also the response from a friend that was with me who had no idea it was there and seeing it for the first time. Horrendous was the word that was used I think then came hideous. He is pretty open minded too about cool building and such things.

I do not care what the architects say on this one. This is a fad that will not last here. Folks will go inside the hotel and say what is up with the green crap hanging off the side of the building. Especially in this city. The hotel clientele is not sophisticated enough to even understand what it is for. I hope this stuff does not go dormant in the winter either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

It is true that many of Nashville’s tourists are not sophisticated. That part I can agree with.

But, if you’re choosing to stay at the 1 Hotel, you probably are sophisticated. These hotels are expensive and cultivate a certain ideology, which the ivy contributes to. 

All this to say, the hotel will draw a different crowd than the Kid Rock faithful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, natethegreat said:

It is true that many of Nashville’s tourists are not sophisticated. That part I can agree with.

But, if you’re choosing to stay at the 1 Hotel, you probably are sophisticated. These hotels are expensive and cultivate a certain ideology, which the ivy contributes to. 

All this to say, the hotel will draw a different crowd than the Kid Rock faithful.

What U.S. city or cities have a preponderance of tourists that sophisticated?