The ATX

308 Guadalupe (Travis County Block) | 700'+ | 59-Stories | Proposed

This will be a big project and worthy of its own thread.  This block was the site of a proposed 15-story Travis County courthouse and a privately developed tower that one Travis County Commissioner envisioned to be as tall as 70-stories.  But the proposal died when Travis County voters failed to support the bond referendum last year.  

A few months ago the County put out a RFP for the site.  They have received eight proposals from an impressive group of high rise developers.  The County will decide which developer to go with in February.  The site is an entire city block currently used as a parking lot, and there are no Capitol View Corridor height limits on the block.  This should end up being a significant tower (or two).

Statesman Article 

Here's the site from Streetview.

2cfAsKE.png

This is the list of developers that the county will pick from.  I'm really looking forward to this project.  

• Cielo Property Group with Gables Residential
  • Cousins Properties Inc.
  • Endeavor Real Estate Group LLC
  • Hanover Co. with Brandywine Realty Trust
  • Lincoln Property Co.
  • Riverside Resources
  • Southwest Strategies Group
  • The Presidium Group.

Austin Business Journal 

I forgot that I created a separate thread for this project because it should be a substantial tower or two.  This is a cross-post from the proposed project thread.

We're getting closer to announcement concerning the development of this Travis County owned block.  The County has chosen a developer to begin negotiations with from an impressive list of suitors.  The name of the developer has not been made public.  

A couple articles:  

Community Impact

Austin Business Journal 

Here's the block from the Community Impact article:  

Guadalupe-St-e1473810444917.jpg?w=1200&s

I posted this photo in another project's thread, but this shows how the probable two towers for this project will fit in with it's skyline neighbors.  The parking lot is of course, the site of this project.

ophq8GX.jpg

Photo by speculator

A 70ish story new tallest has been rumored for a while, and this site was a leading candidate.  We now have renderings!  It's not 70-stories, but it's over 700'. :yahoo:

ExHbAXD.png3mLm2yL.pngeDYazS2.png

STG Design

• Like 1

If the renderings are scaled properly, this appears to be about 725'.  If that's the case, the Independent won't hold the title as Austin's tallest for too long.

The top floors are obviously residential.  The middle section could be office or hotel.  A Virgin hotel is coming to Downtown as part of a yet unannounced project.  This project would be a good candidate for the Virgin hotel.  But there are several other hotel projects that haven't announced the hotel brand yet.  

Those aerials used for the renderings are old, and a lot of towers are missing.  I hate out of date skyline shots.   

AusTxDevelopment at SSP posted some excellent drone photos of Downtown that he took earlier today.  I'll post some of them in the U/C thread later.  What I like about this photo is that the current tallest Austonian is left of center.  The next new tallest Independent is U/C to the right of center, and the site of this proposed future tallest of them all is the surface lot near the center of this photo.  There are also three 600'-700' towers proposed for the area near the bend in the river in this photo.  But I don't have much confidence in those being built as proposed right now.

Construction4_zpsd3xyulvi.jpg

• Like 2

Travis County selected the developers for this project yesterday.  The winners are a joint venture between Texas based Lincoln Property Group and the Phoenix Property Group.  No renderings were presented as part of the announcement.  So we don't have any confirmation if the renderings for the 700' tower are the current renderings.

Statesman Article

Travis County picked the winning proposal for the site among three finalists.  I suspect the first set of renderings posted in this thread were for one of the losing bids.  But I can't be sure because the winning development group didn't provide renderings or details about their proposal at the time of the announcement.  But we now have renderings from Gensler for one of the losing proposals.  This one was ~42-stories and pretty sweet. 

aD1oQVn.png 

1gpRWrb.png

JHuHTXn.png

QgRYP7k.png

AEZnCxQ.png

Link

No news yet.  But this tower will be going up on the parking lot between this view from the redesigned and just opened Republic Square Park and the apartment building.

YVCd9hx.png  

Link