301 Hillsborough

Green_man

36 minutes ago, Merthecat said:

I'm under the impression that a rezoning isn't required to build it as proposed.  Would it still need a hearing then?

from the article referenced above

""As a new player in the market, the company decided to build within the existing zoning allowances, rather than seek more density through a rezoning request with the City Council. “We didn’t want to send a message that we’re bullying our way through,” Fallon says.""

Nashville and Raleigh both limit heights in vast areas of their downtowns.   Charlotte does not within its UMUD district you can  let it rip and build as tall as you want.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Merthecat said:

I'm under the impression that a rezoning isn't required to build it as proposed.  Would it still need a hearing then?

The hearing is required, I think, by state law anytime zoning changes occur. The city must notify all property owners with property adjacent to the planned development.

All rezonings that amend zoning district boundaries require mailed notice. In general, it is also required for the application of new overlay zones, the application of zoning to new extraterritorial areas, and the initial adoption of zoning. Mailed notice usually is not required for most routine zoning text changes, since they do not affect the basic zoning classification of property.

The mailed notice also must be sent to all "abutting" property owners. As a matter of practice, some cities send a mailed notice to all who would qualify to sign a protest petition whether or not they have technically abutting parcels of land. This generally includes the owners of both the property being rezoned and the property within 100 feet (excluding abutting rights-of-way) of that property.

https://www.sog.unc.edu/resources/legal-summaries/zoning-hearings-knowing-which-rules-apply

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

from the article referenced above

""As a new player in the market, the company decided to build within the existing zoning allowances, rather than seek more density through a rezoning request with the City Council. “We didn’t want to send a message that we’re bullying our way through,” Fallon says.""

Nashville and Raleigh both limit heights in vast areas of their downtowns.   Charlotte does not within its UMUD district you can  let it rip and build as tall as you want.  

It will be interesting to see if they are still required to do any rezoning because of planned mixed use of this development.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We knew that 301 Hillsborough was supposed to kick off later this year and we knew that pendo was looking for new space, but it is great to have confirmation that those two things are actually happening. I hope this encourages more development downtown. The Dillon and One Glenwood have both done very well.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

from an article about Fallon Company about the new tower and a new hire for the Raleigh market.

""The Fallon Company is involved with three properties across the state, including the mixed-use building to be constructed at 301 Hillsborough St. in Raleigh. The project is expected to break ground in the fall.  The Fallon Company paid a whopping $17 million for the 1.85 acre property on Hillsborough Street in 2018. The initial phase of the project will be a 20-story tower and more than 270,000 square feet of office space. Two more 19-story towers are planned, one for residential and one for lodging. ""

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Great to see this one finally breaking ground now lets get some others going.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/triangle-sandhills/news/2019/09/09/raleigh-crossing-groundbreaking?cid=share_clip

It's great seeing a Charlotte area poster getting so enthusiastic about Raleigh projects.

I live directly in front of this development and it will substantially impact my life for the next couple of years, as well as my view, but i'm not complaining. I'd rather have it than not.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

It's great seeing a Charlotte area poster getting so enthusiastic about Raleigh projects.

I live directly in front of this development and it will substantially impact my life for the next couple of years, as well as my view, but i'm not complaining. I'd rather have it than not.

I for more high rises being built in ALL NC cities and especially a city like Raleigh growing so fast.  The only place in I don't want high rises are mountain tops and along our coast. 

And I wish Raleigh would allow high rises of any height by right in many zoned areas downtown.   Charlotte's motto is let it rip in the UMUD zones.   Nashville limits heights in a lot of areas of downtown though Austin only does so around the State Capital but the rest of downtown as high as you want.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TKS&W said:

Construction fencing is up.  Trailer is there.  Wonder when they're going to start on 300 Hillsborough?  I've seen some fencing and small equipment in the back, but no demo yet.

Sorry, make that 400 Hillsborough.

I don't recall but are the plans for this development to leave the Flying Saucer intact? 

I would hate to loose that gem. It adds character to that block.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...