Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spenser1058

UCF Football Attendance

17 posts in this topic

WESH is reporting the sorry state of attendance at UCF football games:

http://www.wesh.com/article/donors-alumni-concerned-over-ucf-football-attendance/8344534

I gave up my season tickets when they left the Citrus Bowl and given the hassles with parking and travel out to campus probably won't return as long as they play at UCF. It also didn't help all those years they surrendered their schedule to ESPN to build recognition. Home games were almost never on Saturday anymore (that's gotten better, thankfully). I hope those things worked for them but for me they were a colossal pain.

WESH worked hard for that story.   Went by 20 or so donors in my lot who told them to fly a kite before finding some people to talk to them.

Attendance woes is certainly true but UCF is coming for a 0-12 season and honestly the offense has been painful to watch this year despite the team being bowl eligible.

You may have a chance to watch the Knights downtown once again if they get selected for the Cure Bowl.

1 person likes this

Watching last week's televised game from a DC bar for an alumni event was embarrassing to say the least.

UCF's attendance definitely needs work, but I have to imagine you're in the minority.  The on campus stadium significantly contributes to the atmosphere.  Just need (students largely) to actually go.

Weird question, but: I heard on the radio this morning that Bright House Networks is turning into Spectrum. Does that mean they'll rename UCF's stadium the Spectrum Stadium? 

What a silly story from a local news outlet. 

We were 0-12 last year, the effect that has on an already young fan base is pretty profound. Sure, the new coach and the uniforms, etc are nice and definitely brings some renewed life to the program but it's going to take a bit more than that to actually start filling up the stands. A lot of college football programs are having attendance issues, ours is just easier to see as we didn't already have a huge fan base and years of success. 

USF's attendance is laughable and they were 10-2 this year. FIU and FAU probably shouldn't even be allowed in FBS but they fudge their numbers (like many schools do). After a dismal few years, I only see positives coming from this year. 

Also - I would assume it will become Spectrum Stadium, all their signage around town changed recently, probably for the stadium next year. 

Local news is pathetic. Always looking for some dire situation to get all breathless about and generate concern. And ratings. When they can't find one, they just create one.

I do think Spectrum Stadium sounds cooler than Bright House Stadium.

Now if Camping World would just change their name to something cool sounding...

1 person likes this

On 11/23/2016 at 11:33 AM, spenser1058 said:

WESH is reporting the sorry state of attendance at UCF football games:

http://www.wesh.com/article/donors-alumni-concerned-over-ucf-football-attendance/8344534

I gave up my season tickets when they left the Citrus Bowl and given the hassles with parking and travel out to campus probably won't return as long as they play at UCF. It also didn't help all those years they surrendered their schedule to ESPN to build recognition. Home games were almost never on Saturday anymore (that's gotten better, thankfully). I hope those things worked for them but for me they were a colossal pain.

Also - wait, you prefer them at the Citrus Bowl? That's a BIG no. 

The on campus stadium may not be "anything special" but it most definitely creates a much better atmosphere. Tailgate scene is unreal - it's just getting the people to go to the games instead of keep drinking. They should and will ALWAYS play at UCF from now on. Have you been to a game out there? 

I did attend three games on campus. After fighting the traffic, the tolls and the inconvenience of parking, I decided not to renew my season passes. I wish the Knights all the best, however, and hope that attendance will improve. You are correct, of course, that attendance is down throughout college football. UCF is the important local school to worry about for our purposes. Both Coach O'Leary and Coach Frost have noted the challenges with attendance, so it's not just the local media. Hopefully, it will all work out.

Edited by spenser1058

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I did attend three games on campus. After fighting the traffic, the tolls and the inconvenience of parking, I decided not to renew my season passes. I wish the Knights all the best, however, and hope that attendance will improve. You are correct, of course, that attendance is down throughout college football. UCF is the important local school to worry about for our purposes. Both Coach O'Leary and Coach Frost have noted the challenges with attendance, so it's not just the local media. Hopefully, it will all work out.

Well, the 2 new/expanded garages in the area, the expansion of a few roads, and lower attendance did solve at least half your concern. lol

Never found parking to be bad. Leaving after the game can suck but parking always easy. If you want to go next year I get really good parking passes because of our campus location and happy to share with you guys.

1 person likes this

Thanks for this, Brandon, it's really good of you! It may be time to Charge On out to campus again!

Edited by spenser1058

Who wants to take a bet on attendance at the citrus bowl Cure Bowl game? Dec 17th 5:30 Thurs night.

First, I think on campus stadiums >>>>>>>>>> off.  No brainer.

Second, I think the Camping Citrus World Bowl Stadium is a dump, even after the millions spent on it.  It's a joke that it is the focal stadium for downtown Orlando.

That said, we went out to a few games at the bounce house and it was even more pathetic because it's basically brand new and already sad.  We were there AFTER the bracing was put in and it still bounces.  The place resembles a very large high school stadium.