UCF Football Attendance

spenser1058

WESH is reporting the sorry state of attendance at UCF football games:

http://www.wesh.com/article/donors-alumni-concerned-over-ucf-football-attendance/8344534

I gave up my season tickets when they left the Citrus Bowl and given the hassles with parking and travel out to campus probably won't return as long as they play at UCF. It also didn't help all those years they surrendered their schedule to ESPN to build recognition. Home games were almost never on Saturday anymore (that's gotten better, thankfully). I hope those things worked for them but for me they were a colossal pain.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WESH worked hard for that story.   Went by 20 or so donors in my lot who told them to fly a kite before finding some people to talk to them.

Attendance woes is certainly true but UCF is coming for a 0-12 season and honestly the offense has been painful to watch this year despite the team being bowl eligible.

You may have a chance to watch the Knights downtown once again if they get selected for the Cure Bowl.

What a silly story from a local news outlet. 

We were 0-12 last year, the effect that has on an already young fan base is pretty profound. Sure, the new coach and the uniforms, etc are nice and definitely brings some renewed life to the program but it's going to take a bit more than that to actually start filling up the stands. A lot of college football programs are having attendance issues, ours is just easier to see as we didn't already have a huge fan base and years of success. 

USF's attendance is laughable and they were 10-2 this year. FIU and FAU probably shouldn't even be allowed in FBS but they fudge their numbers (like many schools do). After a dismal few years, I only see positives coming from this year. 

Also - I would assume it will become Spectrum Stadium, all their signage around town changed recently, probably for the stadium next year. 

Local news is pathetic. Always looking for some dire situation to get all breathless about and generate concern. And ratings. When they can't find one, they just create one.

I do think Spectrum Stadium sounds cooler than Bright House Stadium.

Now if Camping World would just change their name to something cool sounding...

On 11/23/2016 at 11:33 AM, spenser1058 said:

WESH is reporting the sorry state of attendance at UCF football games:

http://www.wesh.com/article/donors-alumni-concerned-over-ucf-football-attendance/8344534

I gave up my season tickets when they left the Citrus Bowl and given the hassles with parking and travel out to campus probably won't return as long as they play at UCF. It also didn't help all those years they surrendered their schedule to ESPN to build recognition. Home games were almost never on Saturday anymore (that's gotten better, thankfully). I hope those things worked for them but for me they were a colossal pain.

Also - wait, you prefer them at the Citrus Bowl? That's a BIG no. 

The on campus stadium may not be "anything special" but it most definitely creates a much better atmosphere. Tailgate scene is unreal - it's just getting the people to go to the games instead of keep drinking. They should and will ALWAYS play at UCF from now on. Have you been to a game out there? 

I did attend three games on campus. After fighting the traffic, the tolls and the inconvenience of parking, I decided not to renew my season passes. I wish the Knights all the best, however, and hope that attendance will improve. You are correct, of course, that attendance is down throughout college football. UCF is the important local school to worry about for our purposes. Both Coach O'Leary and Coach Frost have noted the challenges with attendance, so it's not just the local media. Hopefully, it will all work out.

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I did attend three games on campus. After fighting the traffic, the tolls and the inconvenience of parking, I decided not to renew my season passes. I wish the Knights all the best, however, and hope that attendance will improve. You are correct, of course, that attendance is down throughout college football. UCF is the important local school to worry about for our purposes. Both Coach O'Leary and Coach Frost have noted the challenges with attendance, so it's not just the local media. Hopefully, it will all work out.

Well, the 2 new/expanded garages in the area, the expansion of a few roads, and lower attendance did solve at least half your concern. lol

• 5 weeks later...

First, I think on campus stadiums >>>>>>>>>> off.  No brainer.

Second, I think the Camping Citrus World Bowl Stadium is a dump, even after the millions spent on it.  It's a joke that it is the focal stadium for downtown Orlando.

That said, we went out to a few games at the bounce house and it was even more pathetic because it's basically brand new and already sad.  We were there AFTER the bracing was put in and it still bounces.  The place resembles a very large high school stadium.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/4/2017 at 7:56 AM, HankStrong said:

First, I think on campus stadiums >>>>>>>>>> off.  No brainer.

Second, I think the Camping Citrus World Bowl Stadium is a dump, even after the millions spent on it.  It's a joke that it is the focal stadium for downtown Orlando.

That said, we went out to a few games at the bounce house and it was even more pathetic because it's basically brand new and already sad.  We were there AFTER the bracing was put in and it still bounces.  The place resembles a very large high school stadium.

just another half-assed stadium in this town...

• 2 weeks later...

UCF stadium has failing areas, report shows; some fixed, school says
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/classified/realestate/os-ucf-stadium-rust-20171010-story.html

It turns out, you get what you pay for. There apparently was a reason the Bounce House was so much cheaper than the Citrus Bowl redo.

From the Orlando Sentinel.

I might add that the Bounce House may be rotting, but heaven knows the Knights are back and better than ever. Props to AD Danny White, Coach Frost and everyone involved with UCF Football for a remarkable turnaround.

Also fascinating is how the UCF/USF game Thanksgiving weekend could be Florida's most important matchup this year if both stay ranked (which has a pretty good chance of happening.)

With 3 ranked teams in the Top 25, we may not have to bemoan the AAC looking through the window at the Power 5 schools for too many years. We were once told independent schools could not survive in the FBS, but of course Notre Dame continues to ignore the rules. So, to heck with conventional wisdom  - the better course may be to make the American so powerful it no longer makes sense to ignore it. In UCF's case, of course, better attendance will probably be required to attract the better bowls. Could a split in venues (some games on campus, some at the Citrus, help? Particularly after UCF Downtown opens.)

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

UCF stadium has failing areas, report shows; some fixed, school says
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/classified/realestate/os-ucf-stadium-rust-20171010-story.html

It turns out, you get what you pay for. There apparently was a reason the Bounce House was so much cheaper than the Citrus Bowl redo.

From the Orlando Sentinel.

Well allegedly they paid for a coating that should stop the rust, and its either not working or was not applied correctly or at all (more likely). So they quite literally did not get what they paid for, hence the lawsuit

That could indeed be the case, but I've always been skeptical about the long-term validity of a metal stadium in this environment. Whether they should or not, football stadia in Florida are expected to last forever (both the Orange and Tangerine Bowls were creations of FDR's WPA projects and were still using some of the original sections over 60 years after they were built.)

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

That could indeed be the case, but I've always been skeptical about the long-term validity of a metal stadium in this environment. Whether they should or not, football stadia in Florida are expected to last forever (both the Orange and Tangerine Bowls were creations of FDR's WPA projects and were still using some of the original sections over 60 years after they were built.)

FSU's stadium is metal and hasn't had similar problems, right? The climate isn't too different

Archived