UCF Football Attendance

spenser1058

Perhaps the problem is more the fact that at UCF they did it as cheaply as possible (which also suggests how thy ended up with an inferior product, if they are correct; one of the reports I read has the contractor saying the school neglected maintenance- I guess we'll have to wait for the lawyers to sort that out.)

In any event, while it's correct that Doak Campbell was initially just a steel structure, it has over the years (including the most recent 2015 upgrade) been incorporated into what is apparently the country's second largest continuous brick structure. That gives the whole a more permanent appearance and feel sadly lacking at Spectrum Stadium (I've been to high school stadia that seemed more solid.)

At the time they hurried back to campus, it seemed there was a rush to get it done. It's not surprising we're seeing less than optimal results in a fairly short span of time. Regardless of who was responsible, there seems to have been a lack of due diligence in the planning.

Nevertheless, if the program continues to be successful, maybe they'll build their way out of it just like FSU did once the Bowden era arrived (prior to that, Seminole football was rarely taken seriously.)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Perhaps the problem is more the fact that at UCF they did it as cheaply as possible (which also suggests how thy ended up with an inferior product, if they are correct; one of the reports I read has the contractor saying the school neglected maintenance- I guess we'll have to wait for the lawyers to sort that out.)

In any event, while it's correct that Doak Campbell was initially just a steel structure, it has over the years (including the most recent 2015 upgrade) been incorporated into what is apparently the country's second largest continuous brick structure. That gives the whole a more permanent appearance and feel sadly lacking at Spectrum Stadium (I've been to high school stadia that seemed more solid.)

At the time they hurried back to campus, it seemed there was a rush to get it done. It's not surprising we're seeing less than optimal results in a fairly short span of time. Regardless of who was responsible, there seems to have been a lack of due diligence in the planning.

Nevertheless, if the program continues to be successful, maybe they'll build their way out of it just like FSU did once the Bowden era arrived (prior to that, Seminole football was rarely taken seriously.)

I believe the plan has always been to build additional buildings around the eventually expanded structure in a way similar to FSU's. Of course, that hasn't really happened yet, with all of college football attendance way down these days and a failure to get into a better paying conference.

On 10/14/2017 at 4:25 PM, aent said:

I believe the plan has always been to build additional buildings around the eventually expanded structure in a way similar to FSU's. Of course, that hasn't really happened yet, with all of college football attendance way down these days and a failure to get into a better paying conference.

We have started to build some but not a lot. There just aren't the donors there to do it yet. As the school grows older - richer donors will be able to contribute to these things. 

I also believe FSU used a now closed loophole to fund some of their stadium upgrades. They have classrooms in the building, which allowed them to gain grants to pay for some of the stadium upgrades. 

• 4 months later...

Archived