Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll bite.  And yeah, we need that beer :)

Quick digging... There's many parcels owned by something named the 'Beattie Family L P'

The 5 we care about are the 3 on Summerlin, the 1 on Eola, and the 1 on Hill.

The address on file is the home address of the recently deceased local quasi-celebrity orthodontist Jack Beattie and his wife.

beattie.PNG

Here's the location... the area circled in black have been in the family since pre-1999 when Jack transferred them to this (presumably) trust.  All are vacant except for 117 N Summerlin which is the house/office building just south of the public parking lot.

The 4th property which is 112 Summerlin directly north of Anthony's was bought for 600K in 2015.  That combined with the other properties gives them a full rectangle lot measuring 100x400 that has access to both Summerlin and Eola.  For comparison, Citi Tower is on a 120x250 lot.

beattie2.PNG

--

Also, the other properties they own are on the corner of Livingston and Mills directly south of the YMCA.  They own practically half the block:

beattie3.PNG

--

Only other remotely interesting thing I learned from this is that the BelFontaine condo property at Eola and Washington has 12 units, and 9 of them are owned by two groups (with the other 3 all owned by people named Caruso with only 1 being a homestead)

• Like 4

My understanding was that Bel Fontaine along with some other lots was days away from a sale in 2008 just before the crash and then did not go through. At the time, the indication was some sort of tower. How tall, whether residential, commercial or mixed, I was never told. It was from someone with, ummm, 0 degrees of separation though so I assume it was legit.

Same with that little two story office complex behind it on Washington Street that used to be apartments.

It's just nice having some of those older, simple buildings around that recall the past and help retain a little of that small town, old Orlando feel. Especially around Lake Eola. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2017 at 6:49 AM, spenser1058 said:

Interestingly, they tend to fly under the radar a lot more than the Dr. Phillips clan with none of the fascinating scandals the Phillips' had over the years.

I remember reading one of the prominent members of the Phillips family was an openly gay man - which was rare for that time period in Orlando.

• 5 months later...
Lake Eola Park notes the seating area for the amphitheater is closed for "retrofitting  and safety improvements" - has anyone heard more about that?

Walked by there Thursday morning and it was fenced off. Saw a forklift pulling up a section of benches.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Boomer136 said:

Many moons ago there was talk of tearing up the trees, putting in a shade structure and enclosing the seating area for noise reduction, to make ticketed events more feasible and provide increased security.

An idea not totally without merit, though the view of the bandshell would've been totally obscured from Rosalind. Best left the way it is.

Plus, I'd rather have the trees.

17 hours ago, JFW657 said:

An idea not totally without merit, though the view of the bandshell would've been totally obscured from Rosalind. Best left the way it is.

Plus, I'd rather have the trees.

Depends on what the shell is, an object d'art for passers by or a viable performance space destination.

• Like 1