Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

9 hours ago, Boomer136 said:

Depends on what the shell is, an object d'art for passers by or a viable performance space destination.

I find myself torn. I remember my first time playing there in junior high band, I also remember Al Gore speaking there when he ran for POTUS in 2000 and all the events during PRIDE. It seems important to me as a community venue for things like that but it has been woefully underprogrammed by the city.

OTOH, I miss the annual plays performed by Orlando Shakes. They indicated when they left that they would be back but I heard endless stories that it just didn't work for them as it (and they) grew.

So, I confess I'm not sure what I want but whatever we have now is just meh.

• Like 1

So both. And why the shakes abandoned. Such questions are why I stopped lurking and joined to comment a few years ago.

Community foci: sure! Great place to start and end fun runs etc. Open to the public festivals: awesome!! Whatever or whoever is being thrown out there: religion or various causes it is a great focal point. 

Want to sell those seats? Not so good. Noise starts with the industrial units on the AT&T building and gets worse from there. Distractions abound not just from noise but the guy house left exposing himself proudly. 

Throw enough money at this and it might be both, but on the cheap: never. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Boomer136 said:

So both. And why the shakes abandoned. Such questions are why I stopped lurking and joined to comment a few years ago.

Community foci: sure! Great place to start and end fun runs etc. Open to the public festivals: awesome!! Whatever or whoever is being thrown out there: religion or various causes it is a great focal point. 

Want to sell those seats? Not so good. Noise starts with the industrial units on the AT&T building and gets worse from there. Distractions abound not just from noise but the guy house left exposing himself proudly. 

Throw enough money at this and it might be both, but on the cheap: never. 

I don't understand some of what you said there.

What are "the shakes" and who abandoned them? Or who/what did they abandon? Auto-correct error, maybe?

All the rest sounds reasonable enough and I'm in agreement, I just don't know what it directly has to do with the subject of building a shade structure over the seating area, which is the only issue I was commenting on.

I suppose if they built it tall enough and used a minimal number of support columns/posts, it wouldn't block the view of the bandshell too badly. But more rain would blow in during inclement weather. Would need roll down side curtains. But what would it look like? 

I think that parks are places for more trees and fewer structures.

I also think the view of the bandshell from Rosalind should be a primary consideration.

9 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I don't understand some of what you said there.

What are "the shakes" and who abandoned them? Or who/what did they abandon? Auto-correct error, maybe?

All the rest sounds reasonable enough and I'm in agreement, I just don't know what it directly has to do with the subject of building a shade structure over the seating area, which is the only issue I was commenting on.

I suppose if they built it tall enough and used a minimal number of support columns/posts, it wouldn't block the view of the bandshell too badly. But more rain would blow in during inclement weather. Would need roll down side curtains. But what would it look like? 

I think that parks are places for more trees and fewer structures.

I also think the view of the bandshell from Rosalind should be a primary consideration.

I was talking about the ideas to block noise and control access which would block the view from the street. 

• 2 weeks later...

It still hasn't been unveiled (I wonder if there will be a ceremony), but what appears to be the historical marker noting the onetime home of an Orlando Nobel Peace Prize winner is now in place just east of Eola House (it was one of the Eola Five.) More on this once it's uncovered.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2007-10-21/news/orflash21_1_peace-prize-mott-ymca

Edited by spenser1058

Does anyone on this board actually live in Lake Eola? I'm curious to see how the addition of 420 and Citi Tower new residents have impacted the area local businesses, density and street life. 420 added @300 units and Citi another @230 units. @ 800 more residents total between the two buildings.  Thanks 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, idroveazamboni said:

Does anyone on this board actually live in Lake Eola? I'm curious to see how the addition of 420 and Citi Tower new residents have impacted the area local businesses, density and street life. 420 added @300 units and Citi another @230 units. @ 800 more residents total between the two buildings.  Thanks 

The number of pedestrians out and about, especially in the evening, continues to grow.

By far the most notable, difference, however, is at Publix at the Paramount. When it opened in 2008, there were more associates than customers.

Nowadays, it is often cheek by jowl with a fascinating mix of college kids, elderly folks, office workers picking up deli platters for office functions and a number of folks using WIC and SNAP cards as well as street folks (the latter two groups most notable because they, quite rationally, would be likely to select a store with lower prices than Publix, but although the P is no doubt pricier than Walmart it probably beats the bodegas by a mile, which are the most convenient options, especially without a car.) 

All in all, an increasingly urban scene.

• Like 2

Given Amazon's recent purchase of Whole Foods and their major investment in Orlando with the construction of the warehouse in Lake Nona, I wonder if a 365 Market is in the future.

365 is rapidly expanding but as far as I can tell the only FL location will be in Delray. You can suggest a location at this link: https://www.365bywholefoods.com/stores

i let them know that Publix is absolutely killing it at Lake Eola. :)

Edit: 365 is Whole Foods' answer to lower cost outlets like Aldi, Sprouts, and Trader Joe's -- targeted to the Millenial generation.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, idroveazamboni said:

I live in the NQ and work in Landmark I. These properties do have an effect on the Lake Eola area in more traffic in general. The downtown area with the arts plaza, movie theater, transit connections, bike shares, stadiums, and Amway center multiply together to make it seem like a real city now. Miles of difference from 20 years ago and a really good natural feel.

I think we are getting this growth thing just right as compared to others who think we need a 500' tall building on the lake to justify our credentials. Projects like Citi and Modera will only add to the greatness. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I live in the NQ and work in Landmark I. These properties do have an effect on the Lake Eola area in more traffic in general. The downtown area with the arts plaza, movie theater, transit connections, bike shares, stadiums, and Amway center multiply together to make it seem like a real city now. Miles of difference from 20 years ago and a really good natural feel.

I think we are getting this growth thing just right as compared to others who think we need a 500' tall building on the lake to justify our credentials. Projects like Citi and Modera will only add to the greatness. 

Maybe not 500' or on the lake, but 400' up around Orange and Livingston would be nice. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I noticed workers already preparing holiday lights at Lake Eola Monday, which is early relative to the snail's pace we used to see (downtown had a tendency to be the last place in town to be ready, frequently missing Thanksgiving weekend.) It has been speeding up the last year or so and this is amazing. Kudos to the City!

Also, Bungalower reports new decorations are in the works for the CBD:

http://bungalower.com/2017/10/19/downtown-orlando-go-full-snowflake-holidays/

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1