Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The City releases its own Lake Eola version of a Fun Spot commercial......It's, ummmmmm, HUUUUGE.

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/10/23/city-of-orlando-releases-fun-spot-lake-eola-commercial

From Orlando Weekly

I did giggle before I threw-up a little in the back of my throat. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair OCPS works more efficiently if their schools are all the same.  Which is why you saw similar designs starting with the 80's (blue roof portable city).  That's why Lake Como came down, and why they're all using similar designs/materials/floorplans.  I'm sure if it were up to them Howard, and other old schools would come down (Hillcrest) or be sold (Kaley Elem).

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

350K redo of the Centennial Fountain coming:

http://bungalower.com/2018/04/11/fountain-lighting-upgrades-will-cost-343849/

From Bungalower

(A quibble: I think Brendan was in error on the date of the last redo - Buddy wasn't even mayor in 1999 and it happened in his administration after a lightning strike fried the old bits.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Good. I noticed some of the lights on the fountain have already begun to malfunction. Maybe they should take a look at the asparagus too - that thing is always broken and the repairs only seem to last a short while before shorting out again.

The poor old Asparagus has been cursed since the day it was placed and we paid an out of town artist some astronomical price for it. At least we could have invested the money in the local arts community.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

Almost ashamed to admit it but i love the asparagus, if and when it could be lighted properly. Will they ever get it operational again?

A nonprofit group had done a restoration of the asparagus a couple of years ago using LED lights. I don't know how well it worked out as I'm rarely over that way after dark. (That will change, I guess, once the Phil moves to DPAC!)

23 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

Almost ashamed to admit it but i love the asparagus, if and when it could be lighted properly. Will they ever get it operational again?

It's too bad the left turn lanes encroached so much in the intersection reconfig with the beam ruining pictures of asparagi.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 1:49 PM, spenser1058 said:

A nonprofit group had done a restoration of the asparagus a couple of years ago using LED lights. I don't know how well it worked out as I'm rarely over that way after dark. (That will change, I guess, once the Phil moves to DPAC!)

The repair didn't seem to last very long and the lighting within the column itself was always somewhat dim. After a while, the lights at the bottom began to flicker & malfunction so maybe the city decided to keep the whole thing turned off full time. IMO, they could always stick a floodlight up the center and call it a day until they can afford the bells and whistles again.

The Sentinel states the life expectancy for the Lake Eola fountain lights are approx 5 years due to constant water submersion and sun exposure. Higher quality German engineered lights are being installed this time so they may last a bit longer.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A sad bit of news - longtime favorite Handy Pantry in Eola Heights is closing. Apparently, there were just too many 7-Elevens to compete with. *sigh*

They will be missed. At one time, I knew previous owners of the Handy (in the '80's) when it was quite profitable. Here's hoping someone finds a formula that works and it remains a local business open to the public.

Beloved Lake Eola Heights deli Handy Pantry to close, owners say
http://bit.ly/2prH7t1

From the Sentinel

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...