Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

• 2 weeks later...

Not really development related, but... OUC announces plan to replace 1.5 miles of the aging water main underneath Summerlin Ave

OUC will eventually replace 1.5 miles of the 77 year old water main below Summerlin Ave from Marks St to South St. OUC will conduct several studies over the next 18 months which take into account the proper sizing of the new pipe based on future growth demands, traffic impact, etc and then construction could take up to 2 years to complete. In the mean time, the current hole will be repaired with asphalt. Brick restoration will take place once OUC completes the water main replacement.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-summerlin-water-line-20181030-story.html

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/ouc-to-replace-1-mile-long-water-main-in-downtown-orlando/863225400

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/77-year-old-water-main-to-be-replaced-on-summerlin-ave

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

South Eola is getting a popup beer garden for the holidays:

https://bungalower.com/2018/11/28/orlando-brewing-popping-up-in-downtown-with-holiday-beer-garden/

From Bungalower 

(No word yet if dwSouthEola and Andy will be there to christen it...)

That's... odd... and Orlando Brewing makes mediocre beer, but I will absolutely investigate this the weekend of the 15/16 !

• Like 2

On 12/3/2018 at 8:14 AM, spenser1058 said:

(No word yet if dwSouthEola and Andy will be there to christen it...)

there are some really cool pop up beer gardens in/around boston that all disappear in the fall for obvious reasons, i think this is a perfect idea for us right now when you can actually spend time outside.. i'm in !!

(even if that side of lake ave is technically CBD not SE lol)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While there are certainly some stores we’re missing downtown, I continue to be amazed by the variety popping up at 420 Church St.

Instead of the endless parade of dry cleaners, sandwich shops and hair salons we were subjected to for a while, Camden has gotten some interesting new shopslike a pet store. 

There’s enough spots  between the various buildings, it’s walkable and with Publix as an anchor, South Eola could become a successful retail node for downtown. Now, just get CVS to move in down the street instead of the latest Peruvian seaweed fusion eatery and we’re on our way.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:33 AM, spenser1058 said:

instead of the latest Peruvian seaweed fusion eatery and we’re on our way.

I hope all of their hipster drinks contain some unique and obnoxious bitters.  Hopefully some good stuff like Dragonfruit Bitters, African Horned Cape Cucumber Bitters, or even Cherimoya Bitters.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

A link to the Bungalower article about the sale of the EO Inn Jernigan mentioned in a different thread:

https://bungalower.com/2019/01/21/the-eo-inn-property-is-for-sale-by-lake-eola/

As Jernigan noted, it adjoins the property that was to be the site for East On the Park, a mid rise project stalled by the Great Recession.

EO Inn is not in a historic district and the structure itself isn’t on the city’s list of landmarks iirc (the interior was pretty much gutted during the conversion and they may have also done exterior work).

Nevertheless, given the demise of the Eola Five and the grand old houses along Central and Robinson, it’s pretty much all we have left from the previous era along the lake.

It also has an interesting past as a motel, a youth hostel with a bawdy reputation in the ‘80’s and before  that the home of the local YMCA prior to the move to the current Sterchi building on Mills.

As a result, I hope we don’t lose it.

It would be interesting to know if it’s profitable; I assume losing Panera hasn’t helped.

Its sale, however, isn’t surprising as the hospitality/restaurant projects the Ustler/Rampy partnership assembled in the early days of the Thornton Park redo have been spun off over time. 

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There was something going on this morning in the empty lot next to the Eo Inn. At first I thought it was another construction sighting of some kind (but no porta potty!) but the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like a big photo shoot.

If it was, they had access behind the fence.

Stay tuned...

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

There was something going on this morning in the empty lot next to the Eo Inn. At first I thought it was another construction sighting of some kind (but no ports potty!) but the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like a big photo shoot.

If it was, they had access behind the fence.

Stay tuned...

It’s surprising this lot has remained vacant for as long as it has,  as one of the few remaining empty lots on Eola Drive fronting the lake.  

Given its desirable location, perhaps the development price tag is too high?

Edited by prahaboheme

28 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

It’s surprising this lot has remained vacant for as long as it has,  as one of the few remaining empty lots on Eola Drive fronting the lake.  

Given its desirable location, perhaps the development price tag is too high?

A few things come to mind - first, if the owner is a local fixture (like the Carusos who own Bel Fontaine or the Beatty family who owned the empty lot next door), they may be content to just land-bank it, passing it along to the heirs. Given that it’s hard to see it ever depreciating in value, it’s probably a pretty safe bet.

The other thing that’s possible is they have some huge project in mind and are having trouble assembling the property they want.

The third (less likely)is that someone figures that, if they wait long enough, they can get the city to buy it for park expansion for a big premium (not unlike Constitution Green, only more so).

• Like 1