Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

• 3 weeks later...

A report from the streets today - Eola Park and E. Central were packed this afternoon and the park didn’t even have a special event today.

Eola Wine, Metro Espresso, Pizza@Eola and Publix were jammed. All those untold thousands of Central Floridians who supposedly won’t get out of their cars were, ummmm, walking. I didn’t get a chance to see what Thornton Park looked like with folks watching ballgames on TV.

Not sure how, but our horrible, squatty downtown seems to be more popular with each passing week. Maybe Putin put up a Potemkin Village and all those folks strolling were really drones! I’m always the last to get in on the really good conspiracy theories...

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

A report from the streets today - Eola Park and E. Central were packed this afternoon and the park didn’t even have a special event today.

Eola Wine, Metro Espresso, Pizza@Eola and Publix were jammed. All those untold thousands of Central Floridians who supposedly won’t get out of their cars were, ummmm, walking. I didn’t get a chance to see what Thornton Park looked like with folks watching ballgames on TV.

Not sure how, but our horrible, squatty downtown seems to be more popular with each passing week. Maybe Putin put up a Potemkin Village and all those folks strolling were really drones! I’m always the last to get in on the really good conspiracy theories...

Orlando Weekly had an event and there were hundreds of extra people downtown. That could be it. Either way, I’ve never heard anyone refer to downtown as horrible. Most say it’s pretty cool, clean, with great places to eat and drink. Squatty though, yes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Scott J bravely stops in at Coco Cucina, the Sanctuary’s revolving door eatery.

This go ‘round we’re trying Mexican. Scott likes the food but I still have to wonder if such a spartan, boxy space will ever thrive in a neighborhood like South Eola.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/recent-reviews/65-mexican/4722-coco-cucina

Edited by spenser1058

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Scott J bravely stops in at Coco Cucina

The restaurants in this area are surprisingly mediocre, but I'd say Coco is among the better of them. I've been in 3 or 4 times and each experience was pretty good. I agree the space is not overly inviting, but the food is good and very fresh- that is if you like traditional Mexican fare. The happy hour menu is reasonable and there are plenty of bar seats (pre-requisite for me). Beer and wine selection is terrible, tequila selection is good. Don't go there in search of a burrito or fajitas, but the tamal and all the tacos I've had were very good. The soups are great and are a meal by them selves. Service at the bar is good although I can't speak for the table service (they have looked understaffed on 2 occasions). Traffic has been up and down (which may explain the staffing issue), but even when busy I've walked straight into a bar seat without a wait each time. Parking is non-existent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I was thinking today walking back from OPL that, with the exception of the dumpster fire that is the old LEYC space, the eateries and retailers along E. Central are remarkably stable

That's funny... I was thinking the same thing recently. Eola Wine is coming up on 20 years (with a minor move) as are the cleaners and Metro Pizza. Brandon and Aku must have already passed the decade mark and WOB (even though it sucks) seems to be doing fine.  I can't remember when Sneads switched to 310, but I count them as basically the same place- like a TGIFridays vs Applebees. LEYC property is great, but just too darn big and pricey unless a national takes it.

• Like 1

The Post retail has been quite steady. Other than our dearly departed Tre Bambine everyone has been here at least 4 years I think now and WOB would be here longer if they didn't hit a bunch of slowdowns during the permit/construction process.

We're heading towards year 7 along with Eden's. Lauren is now the only boutique retail I can think of downtown and is at 5 years. Atelier is right around 5 years as well. Metro I think is over a decade and the dry cleaner and UPS are very similar (I could be wrong).  Eola at 18 years. 

There is a way to make the Spice space work but its going to take a lot of work and not sure anyone is going to be willing to do that.

I think you'll see something shake up in the next year or so here though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

The Post retail has been quite steady. Other than our dearly departed Tre Bambine everyone has been here at least 4 years I think now and WOB would be here longer if they didn't hit a bunch of slowdowns during the permit/construction process.

We're heading towards year 7 along with Eden's. Lauren is now the only boutique retail I can think of downtown and is at 5 years. Atelier is right around 5 years as well. Metro I think is over a decade and the dry cleaner and UPS are very similar (I could be wrong).  Eola at 18 years. 

There is a way to make the Spice space work but its going to take a lot of work and not sure anyone is going to be willing to do that.

Do you think it’s the Publix that draws people there? 

I know for Lake Eola events that area is basically cream of the crop and I’m sure that helps. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bqknight said:

I know for Lake Eola events that area is basically cream of the crop and I’m sure that helps. 

That’s a great point and, if true, reconfirms that having strong anchors makes the rest work.

17 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Eola at 18 years. 

I definitely remember being at the wine bar NYE Y2K and I pulled out the photo to prove you wrong... Unfortunately it was dated 12/31/02. Oops. I also think I was going to Metro and the cleaners while still living in PLT (2005), but now I don't trust my memory.

17 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Insight...? Hopefully for the better.

12 hours ago, bqknight said:

That and the several thousand residents within a 5 minute stroll of businesses that offer services customers want/need and provide the feeling of being part of a community all in a very walkable neighborhood.

• Like 1

They're actively working on the Great Harvest Bakery in Citi Tower - on the corner of Church and Lake. Another food option in the area. 

Too bad it seems like no one is interested in the corner spot in Camden Thornton Park. Maybe when the sister building opens. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bqknight said:

They're actively working on the Great Harvest Bakery in Citi Tower - on the corner of Church and Lake. Another food option in the area. 

Too bad it seems like no one is interested in the corner spot in Camden Thornton Park. Maybe when the sister building opens. 

Mmmmmm - bakery...