Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

On 12/21/2019 at 2:31 PM, spenser1058 said:

If Thomas Chatmon were doing half as much for retail as Parks has been doing to program Eola, we’d be in a great place. We’ll take what we can get.

Check you facts on this one.  DDB planned and paid for those decorations, and most of the City-run programming at Eola. They have the checkbook, FPR does not. 

• 2 weeks later...

A drawing of the 1895 Orange County Courthouse:

https://twitter.com/historycenterfl/status/1214955561453858818?s=21

It was torn down, “progress”, you know, in favor of the 1957 Courthouse Annex, which was widely dismissed as hideous for most of the 40 or so years it existed. 

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Vive on Eola

Another proposed project that had previously been approved as condo. 205 S. Eola Dr now says... "DIX will be seeking a density and intensity bonuses for the project, which features 3,800 square feet of ground-level retail uses, 13,750 square feet of office/co-working space and 7 stories of residential micro apartments totaling 126 units."... "The ground level would house a signature restaurant and a separate coffee shop or cafe with grab-and-go prepared food items."

Small apartments seem to be all the rage. These average 400ft and will go for $1200ish.

Brought to you by the same folks who proposed DXV in Parramore.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-vive-eola-tower-20200110-ajrvuh365nbcvat5dcw2vko5we-story.html

• Like 1

Downtown Orlando could get lux new hotel on Lake Eola

Developer looking to build a 150 bed, $300/ night hotel, "something along the lines of Marriott’s Autograph Collection or Tapestry Collection by Hilton" next to the Reeves House. 

Design firm is Elay Barkley Dale who "used Orlando’s downtown historic district, especially its churches, as inspiration for the design. The concept is a modern take on Moorish architecture, with extensive use of arched doors, windows and balconies and a corner bell tower." 

The hotel, in design phase, has a full service restaurant and spa.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-lake-eola-hotel-20200112-ww5cvrhnbzgdbkwesjcnh4y7je-story.html

30 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Downtown Orlando could get lux new hotel on Lake Eola

Developer looking to build a 150 bed, $300/ night hotel, "something along the lines of Marriott’s Autograph Collection or Tapestry Collection by Hilton" next to the Reeves House. 

Design firm is Elay Barkley Dale who "used Orlando’s downtown historic district, especially its churches, as inspiration for the design. The concept is a modern take on Moorish architecture, with extensive use of arched doors, windows and balconies and a corner bell tower." 

The hotel, in design phase, has a full service restaurant and spa.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-lake-eola-hotel-20200112-ww5cvrhnbzgdbkwesjcnh4y7je-story.html

Where is this exactly?

24 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Where is this exactly?

Vacant, single story office building at the corner of Robinson St and Hillman Ave.

421 E. Robinson

The lot goes thru to Ridgewood and they would build 3 houses on that street.

Edited by AmIReal
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Where is this exactly?

If that’s  the old Catholic Diocese hq that was previously going to become condos, it appears we have another developer just throwing up ideas to see what might stick.

Given all the other hotel projects in the pipeline (not to mention the abandoned ones), this strikes me as a tough row to hoe.

Personally, I wish St. James would expand and add a high school component. Given the dearth of land, maybe just some sort of magnet. 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

With the recent proposals and additions around Lake Eola, I’m amazed that the lot on the NW corner of Summerlin and Robinson hasn’t had talks of development since Oasis.

Anyone know anything?

I haven’t heard a peep. It is amazing just how forgotten that empty corner is.

Lake Eola and the Orlando Land Trust -preserving the city ‘s crown jewel

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-fe-joy-wallace-dickinson-20200112-3ixbdg6h35gkbjbhw7rvxydc3i-story.html

From Joy Wallace Dickinson and the Sentinel 

If you’re interested in subscribing to their newsletter:

https://orlandolandtrust.org/

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Lake Eola and the Orlando Land Trust -preserving the city ‘s crown jewel

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-fe-joy-wallace-dickinson-20200112-3ixbdg6h35gkbjbhw7rvxydc3i-story.html

From Joy Wallace Dickinson and the Sentinel 

If you’re interested in subscribing to their newsletter:

https://orlandolandtrust.org/

Spenser loves his paywall links that nobody can read!!! :thumbsup:

I'd be interested in a brief synopsis of what the article says, if it's not asking too much. ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Spenser loves his paywall links that nobody can read!!! :thumbsup:

I'd be interested in a brief synopsis of what the article says, if it's not asking too much. ;)

It’s just a history of Lake Eola as only JWD can do it plus a description of the OLT efforts to preserve the lake and the park. The current effort is to buy the 7-Eleven on the corner.

Most of what they’re up to is covered on their website (the second link) and it’s a freebie.

The Sentinel allows several free articles before you hit the paywall.

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s just a history of Lake Eola as only JWD can do it plus a description of the OLT efforts to preserve the lake and the park. The current effort is to buy the 7-Eleven on the corner.

Most of what they’re up to is covered on their website (the second link) and it’s a freebie.

The Sentinel allows several free articles before you hit the paywall.

I always hit it on the first try. 

Didn't try the second link because I don't want to subscribe to their newsletter.

25 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

If you DO get the newsletter (it’s free!), I promise they won’t turn you into a Communist or anything. 

How do you know I'm not one already? 

Maybe I'm afraid they'll turn me into a capitalist... 

16 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Orlando Land Trust's plan is bad and I hope they fail.

Why?

Do you want to see that corner developed into a high rise?

Or is it for some other reason?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

How do you know I'm not one already? 

Maybe I'm afraid they'll turn me into a capitalist... 

You just liked that topless shot of Putin, didn’t you? *runs*

19 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Orlando Land Trust's plan is bad and I hope they fail.

That’s certainly an enlightening view...