Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

They want to bulldoze down a tax generating building for a tiny strip of grass that won't connect to the park and just have the same homeless issue that current building has. It does nothing positive for the city.

The building proposed there (which I'm sure is long since dead or he would have built it) would be a huge upgrade over a tiny strip of grass with a few benches and generate much more revenue for the city.

There is nothing to like about this ugly "solution" these people have.

landtrust.PNG.6618515c593f8c0b68127a6cd20d3e2b.PNG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

They want to bulldoze down a tax generating building for a tiny strip of grass that won't connect to the park and just have the same homeless issue that current building has. It does nothing positive for the city.

The building proposed there (which I'm sure is long since dead or he would have built it) would be a huge upgrade over a tiny strip of grass with a few benches and generate much more revenue for the city.

My understanding is they are trying to negotiate an easement with the Rosalind Club  and/or City Centre to have a path into the park.

Even if they can’t pull that off, it moves us closer to the long- term goal of a park which goes from Rosalind to Summerlin. 

Eola Park is currently overloved and as the downtown population increases it will only get worse so expansion is crucial.

Once another building goes there, that reduces the potential size of the park for at least 30 years or more.

We certainly seem not to mind when developers tear down buildings and replace them with nothing (see the duPont Centre II lot that lay fallow for 25 years on downtown’s main thoroughfare - at least this lot would be maintained and open to the public.)

Maybe we could even bring back the flowerbeds the city was famous for prior to 2003 or make another dog park in the interim.

This is, given today’s realities, the best way to make a long-term investment in people rather than profits.

Disclaimer: Although I have donated to OLT and support its aims, I do not in any way speak for the group and my ideas may differ from theirs.

As to homeless folks, it’s odd they don’t seem to be a problem for me even as I live downtown. If they do, given they exist at the library as well outside the building fka SunTrust Center, I guess we need to get rid of those also.

Homeless folks exist in every major US city (there are countries where that is not the case). Even Mayberry had the town drunk and Ernest T. Bass. Solving that challenge has little to do with individual lots or buildings and more with a desire to find solutions. That, I submit, is another topic.

As the saying goes, correlation does not imply causation.

Edited by spenser1058

29 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Once I saw that picture (before you posted it but after I posed the question) I understood to an extent, what you meant.

I don't like that useless little empty lot which, let's be honest, will only serve to become a gathering spot for the homeless, causing everyone else to avoid it at all costs.

On the other hand, I can't agree with hoping for total failure or the development of a high or mid rise building there. I'd like to see a middle outcome, in which the buildings they show being gone, are renovated into something attractive looking and housing decent retail. Even keep the 7 Eleven, but with a really nice facade.

What I wouldn't want to see personally, is the two old buildings there demolished for any reason.

18 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

My understanding is they are trying to negotiate an easement with the Rosalind Club  and/or City Centre to have a path into the park.

Even if they can’t pull that off, it moves us closer to the long- term goal of a park which goes from Rosalind to Summerlin. 

Eola Park is currently overloved and as the downtown population increases it will only get worse so expansion is crucial.

Once another building goes there, that reduces the potential size of the park for at least 30 years or more.

We certainly seem not to mind when developers tear down buildings and replace them with nothing (see the duPont Centre II lot that lay fallow for 25 years on downtown’s main thoroughfare - at least this lot would be maintained and open to the public.)

Maybe we could even bring back the flowerbeds the city was famous for prior to 2003!

This is, given today’s realities, the best way to make a long-term investment in people rather than profits.

Disclaimer: Although I have donated to OLT and support its aims, I do not in any way speak for the group and my ideas may differ from theirs.

All for flower beds, can't get behind expansion to Summerlin.

Unless it was via a narrow-ish  "land bridge" type deal, where Eola Drive was not totally removed, but divided in the middle where the grass park extension crossed.

Maybe right across here....

Screenshot-181.png

...and going across to here...

Screenshot-182.png

Take out the little white and blue place on the right.

Nice little strip of new park space without ruining the flavor of Eola Drive.

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

All for flower beds, can't get behind expansion to Summerlin.

Unless it was via a narrow-ish  "land bridge" type deal, where Eola Drive was not totally removed, but divided in the middle where the grass park extension crossed.

Maybe right across here....

Screenshot-181.png

...and going across to here...

Screenshot-182.png

Take out the little white and blue place on the right.

Nice little strip of new park space without ruining the flavor of Eola Drive.

Yes, I mean the vacant lot next to Eo Inn and the lot between Lowndes and Bel Fontaine.

The owners of BF are the same folks who sold Constitution Green to the city so who knows... the rest of the block behind there are relatively inexpensive structures.

It won’t happen tomorrow but one day at a time...

• Like 1

@JFW657, to your point about the Masonic Lodge and the adjoining house: I don’t want to lose them , either.

If Kevin Fonzo could make a restaurant out of that old house in College Park, I’m not sure what the problem is with the old house finding a similar purpose (I’m sure one of our group knows more about what the hold up is there.)

As to the old Masonic Lodge, I would like to see if the blank wall facing west could be made more friendly to the new park space, either by opening access or at least windows further down. I’m not sure how much Cameron Kuhn divided it up when he reno’d it but when I went in there after the Masons had left I was intrigued by the building.

29 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

@JFW657, to your point about the Masonic Lodge and the adjoining house: I don’t want to lose them , either.

If Kevin Fonzo could make a restaurant out of that old house in College Park, I’m not sure what the problem is with the old house finding a similar purpose (I’m sure one of our group knows more about what the hold up is there.)

As to the old Masonic Lodge, I would like to see if the blank wall facing west could be made more friendly to the new park space, either by opening access or at least windows further down. I’m not sure how much Cameron Kuhn divided it up when he reno’d it but when I went in there after the Masons had left I was intrigued by the building.

If it comes to pass that the land gets purchased and they demo the current building, I'd be all for making that west facade more attractive too.

But I'd rather they just left the current building there and remodeled the face of that instead.

Don't need another homeless encampment.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:30 AM, Jernigan said:

With the recent proposals and additions around Lake Eola, I’m amazed that the lot on the NW corner of Summerlin and Robinson hasn’t had talks of development since Oasis.

Anyone know anything?

The land owners want a figure well north of $12m which at the moment, given zoning limits to what I assume the city would only allow 7-10 stories, (with most of the height being on the lakeside).  I've tried to figure it out but have yet to make anything pencil.

image.thumb.png.9e66d82f34d922280e668217f2a75a8a.png

• Thanks 1

There seems to be activity afoot in the former LEYC/Spice/Tre Bambine space.

The lights are on and people were milling about and a banner has gone up with the new name.

Maybe this is happening, whenever that might be. I checked but no sign of Ron Paul yet.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiDev said:

The land owners want a figure well north of $12m which at the moment, given zoning limits to what I assume the city would only allow 7-10 stories, (with most of the height being on the lakeside).  I've tried to figure it out but have yet to make anything pencil.

image.thumb.png.9e66d82f34d922280e668217f2a75a8a.png

You think there is no way we'd get a highrise in this location?