Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

29 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

You think there is no way we'd get a highrise in this location?

It really hinges on the parcel lines,

image.thumb.png.6c88e53c826a5bd0b3b65a107050d939.png

If you look at the breakdown of owners (there are technically 5, condos split between 2) you can start to see why.  Either you are going to wind up buying the whole block or you are only going to buy about 188' of depth from the lake.  With given setbacks and a requirement from the city to activate the lakeside (65' from lake, min 10' from backside = leaving 113' w/ 125' being efficient) either way with a tower you are going to wind up with a really weird parking configuration.  The per unit price for the tower construction is prohibitive especially if you have to do 5 floors of CIP parking in an inefficient form.  To get a management scale number of units you would have to go 17 stories (city currently is pushing for 12-15, current zoning allows 7.5-10, and the strong nimby neighborhood to the east wants 0).  Seems really unlikely to me, but I have been wrong before.

YpKhoNO.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, codypet said:

I don't think that old dude is gonna sell. 

image.png.f89a8edffcea6e5ad781f845bfc15788.png

I hope he lives a good long life but he has not been nearly as spry lately as he used to be.

30 minutes ago, ChiDev said:

It really hinges on the parcel lines,

image.thumb.png.6c88e53c826a5bd0b3b65a107050d939.png

If you look at the breakdown of owners (there are technically 5, condos split between 2) you can start to see why.  Either you are going to wind up buying the whole block or you are only going to buy about 188' of depth from the lake.  With given setbacks and a requirement from the city to activate the lakeside (65' from lake, min 10' from backside = leaving 113' w/ 125' being efficient) either way with a tower you are going to wind up with a really weird parking configuration.  The per unit price for the tower construction is prohibitive especially if you have to do 5 floors of CIP parking in an inefficient form.  To get a management scale number of units you would have to go 17 stories (city currently is pushing for 12-15, current zoning allows 7.5-10, and the strong nimby neighborhood to the east wants 0).  Seems really unlikely to me, but I have been wrong before.

YpKhoNO.jpg

Of course, that makes it all the more important they try to expand the park. A near impossible dream, I know, but if the numbers don’t work for a private developer, now is the time.

2 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

This is the vacant lot Jernigan was referring to on the NW corner of Robinson and Summerlin. 

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

The one owned buy the Day building guy?  Yeah I have seen development plans for that corner, let me see if I can dig them up.  0% chance the owner is gonna let it go without a hefty price, 0% chance an eminent domain lawsuit by the City would be able to take it from him (unable to demonstrate "need").

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Commissioner Sheehan is giving $50k to the fund attempting to buy the 7-11 lot at Rosalind and Central. The money comes from a discretionary account each commissioner has "to boost infrastructure and contribute to organizations in their district.". The $50k is one half of her annual allotment. The money will be held in escrow and only transfers if the fund is able to raise the full $3.5M to complete the purchase within 18 months. So far they have raised $800k.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-patty-sheehan-lake-eola-20200127-q4xok6ou2feljb5ocqlwq3wr54-story.html

29 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Commissioner Sheehan is giving $50k to the fund attempting to buy the 7-11 lot at Rosalind and Central. The money comes from a discretionary account each commissioner has "to boost infrastructure and contribute to organizations in their district.". The $50k is one half of her annual allotment. The money will be held in escrow and only transfers if the fund is able to raise the full $3.5M to complete the purchase within 18 months. So far they have raised $800k.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-patty-sheehan-lake-eola-20200127-q4xok6ou2feljb5ocqlwq3wr54-story.html

GO PATTY!

38 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Gross

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

What a splendid view of downtown in the ‘70’s. The round building with its brise soleil on the second floor is prominent in the middle:

https://twitter.com/citybeautiful/status/1222877494229000192?s=21

Ummm..... I believe you meant downtown in the 80's....

EPiIksxX0AAlDVV?format=jpg&name=medium

Note the presence of the Atlantic Bank building, the "refrigerator" and the Barnett Plaza building which were completed in 1983. ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Ummm..... I believe you meant downtown in the 80's....

EPiIksxX0AAlDVV?format=jpg&name=medium

Note the presence of the Atlantic Bank building, the "refrigerator" and the Barnett Plaza building which were completed in 1983. ;)

Yes, I just posted the tweet from the City. I believe you are correct - all three of those were built while I was in Nashville from 1980-84.

10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Yes, I just posted the tweet from the City. I believe you are correct - all three of those were built while I was in Nashville from 1980-84.

This is the best/newest I could find from somewhat the same perspective. Nice for sake of comparison. I'm sure one of our resident Earth pros will provide a newer shot.

Btw, I think this shot is legal... 

Orlando looking north.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, AmIReal said:

What is going on the parking lot next to Eola Park Center at the corner of Rosalind and Robinson. I noticed it has construction fencing and site work is ongoing.

This was mentioned here a while ago, but fell through the cracks. Eola Park Center aka the Fifth Third Bank building is redeveloping their parking lot and surrounding areas around the building. It will also include R&R areas for building tenants to enjoy. The parking lot was always well maintained and landscaped nicely - one of the nicest ones downtown IMO. So far, they've removed the Big Beautiful Wall, ripped up all the vegetation & asphalt, installed new underground drainage and have now covered everything up w/dirt again. Very noisy, so I can sympathize w/those near Radius' construction site. See ARB report: here

1790868401_EolaParkCenter.thumb.jpg.2bc15515aa85e5bffe877286507e34d7.jpg

Found a construction update photo:

2022933195_EolaParkCenterConstructionUpdate.thumb.jpg.84e020a895a747f0b64cfd5c8ac37965.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

This was mentioned here a while ago, but fell through the cracks. Eola Park Center aka the Fifth Third Bank building is redeveloping their parking lot and surrounding areas around the building. It will also include R&R areas for building tenants to enjoy. The parking lot was always well maintained and landscaped nicely - one of the nicest ones downtown IMO. So far, they've removed the Big Beautiful Wall, ripped up all the vegetation & asphalt, installed new underground drainage and have now covered everything up w/dirt again. Very noisy, so I can sympathize w/those near Radius' construction site. See ARB report: here

1790868401_EolaParkCenter.thumb.jpg.2bc15515aa85e5bffe877286507e34d7.jpg

Thanks for the info, nite owl.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:27 PM, codypet said:

I never noticed the renderings had the Robinson St. Road Diet.

Excerpt from ARB Staff Comments:

"Highwoods also understands the importance of improving the downtown infrastructure and contributing to the continued growth of downtown.  As part of this project Highwoods is providing additional land through an easement along E. Robinson St, to accommodate a future cycle track and enlarged sidewalk area for the proposed re-design of E. Robinson St.  Also, as part of the proposed improvements Highwoods is eliminating 2 of the their 3 driveway cuts along E. Robinson which will improve pedestrian and cyclist’s safety and comfort.  They are also redesigning their Rosalind entry to include a common loading zone that can be shared with the adjacent Lake Eola Park operations."

Not sure if anyone picked up on this, but the small parking lot on the corner of Rosalind/Robinson is part of the renovation and will receive a little sprucing up as well (no rendering avail):

"A new streetwall with the same or similar fit and finish is proposed for the garage site across the street at 209 E Robinson St."

• Like 2