Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

11 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The new owners of Eola Wine Co. were  diligently at work this morning on some sort of refurb for their place. Look for it to look a little different once they reopen.

They got new owners about 3 weeks ago so they're probably using the opportunity to make the changes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A sign of the times? The 1960’s era, 12-unit building I live in has a “For Lease” sign up for the first time in years.

Because of the relatively low cost and great location, vacancies rarely happen (several of us have upgraded our interiors at our own expense with the expectation of a long occupancy- 18 years and counting in my case). If someone does choose to move, the outgoing tenants often have friends who would kill to move in and thus the owners haven’t had to do anything but sign the new lease.

It will be fascinating to see if this is a new normal for us in the coming months.

• 1 month later...

The Paramount has added a vertical sign for itself on the Central Blvd. side.

Also, the exterior entry to Publix has (finally!) been repainted and looks much better. The curved ornamentation above the door has also been painted a dark gray and I think the contrast really is an improvement.

8 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Also, the exterior entry to Publix has (finally!) been repainted and looks much better. The curved ornamentation above the door has also been painted a dark gray and I think the contrast really is an improvement.

I feel like every building in the South Eola area is getting a refresh right now or just recently did. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 9:16 AM, spenser1058 said:

What, no pics???????

That's kinda mean.... posting descriptions of all these wonderful upgrades then leaving all of us quarantined sheltered in place shut-ins to only imagine and wonder what it looks like.

Woe is we..... :cry:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JFW657 said:

What, no pics???????

That's kinda mean.... posting descriptions of all these wonderful upgrades then leaving all of us quarantined sheltered in place shut-ins to only imagine and wonder what it looks like.

Ummmmm, the curfew is over so put on your mask (mine’s a UCF one - Charge On!), do your social distancing and get out there!

I was  hoping @IAmFloridaBorn would catch it next time he’s out and about to do it properly *hint*. (I’m lousy at pics)..

12 hours ago, JFW657 said:

What, no pics???????

It went up like 6-8 months or more ago. There are pics posted here somewhere.

4 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

It went up like 6-8 months or more ago. There are pics posted here somewhere.

I remember when the Modera sign was posted here but not Paramount. Also, doing a search didn’t yield a separate thread for the building once they broke ground (we usually do that - or in the case of VMC once she sent out a press release). Were we calling it something else originally?

The late, great Billy Manes (who SHOULD have been the mayor!) of The Orlando Weekly reminds us of the fabulousness that was the Harley Hotel as it slid to irrelevance under the watch of The Queen of Mean:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/up-in-the-old-hotel/Content?oid=2260435

The up-only escalator from Washington  Street to the front desk always reminded us “you could check out any time you liked but you could never leave”.

Edited by spenser1058

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... I see  now.

@spenser1058 posted old news as if it were current news.

Got it.

Why'd he do something like that????? :cry:

It was the first time I had seen it and the paint job was certainly new. Meanwhile, I’ve been searching most of the day and while I can find the pic of the Modera sign going up so far I have bupkus on the Paramount sign. But I know you two, being omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent will show me the error of my ways!

42 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The late, great Billy Manes (who SHOULD have been the mayor!) of The Orlando Weekly reminds us of the fabulousness that was the Harley Hotel as it slid to irrelevance under the watch of The Queen of Mean:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/up-in-the-old-hotel/Content?oid=2260435

The up-only escalator from Washington  Street to the front desk always reminded us “you could check out any time you liked but you could never leave”.

When I lived at Pine & Summerlin during the 80's, the Harley was like my own personal swimming pool. 

Anytime it was hot out or I'd been out for a long walk/jog downtown or up by Lake Ivanhoe, on the way back down Rosalind I'd just pop in the parking garage entrance/exit, either hop up the stairs or take the elevator to the 2nd floor and the pool was there and waiting for cool, clear and clean. 

Life was good back in those simpler times.

:shades:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

It was the first time I had seen it and the paint job was certainly new. Meanwhile, I’ve been searching most of the day and while I can find the pic of the Modera sign going up so far I have bupkus on the Paramount sign. But I know you two, being omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent will show me the error of my ways!

errorofways.jpg

• Haha 1

The Lake Eola expansion is moving forward and may get assistance from the City as well as other sources.

Also, kudos to Commissioner Patty Sheehan for committing $50k of her district’s discretionary fund to the cause.

One fine day we can dream of an Eola Park that stretches from Rosalind to Summerlin. This is just a start but every journey begins with a first step. Just in my lifetime we’ve seen two major park expansions and this will be a third.

There’s a link to contribute in the article:

https://bungalower.com/2020/05/28/city-of-orlando-looking-to-buy-more-land-for-lake-eola/

From Bungalower