Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

Bungalower has a rendition of the proposed park at the corner of Central and Rosalind. Maybe I've just missed this bit of news, but this is the first time I've heard of it including "PURCHASING THE TALLER BUILDING NEXT DOOR".

https://bungalower.com/2020/06/21/top-ten-things-to-know-this-week-128/

eola-corner-696x594.jpg

There had been a desire to purchase the Masonic Lodge all along, but no one seemed to know if it would be economically feasible or not (and if it were available). Some of us are also torn about it since it has historical significance but it presents a blank presence to passers by and has had little access to the public, especially since the Kuhn redo. In its current incarnation, it’s also not particularly attractive although if you look at it from the back, there seem to be some great spaces with inviting views of the park.

The reason for pulling it down, of course, is that it would give the corner much better access to the park.

There are a variety of “goods” tussling with each other here so it’s important not to lose the forest for the trees: the goal is to ensure no further development encroachment on the park.

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

There had been a desire to purchase the Masonic Lodge all along, but no one seemed to know if it would be economically feasible or not (and if it were available). Some of us are also torn about it since it has historical significance but it presents a blank presence to passers by and has had little access to the public, especially since the Kuhn redo. In its current incarnation, it’s also not particularly attractive although if you look at it from the back, there seem to be some great spaces with inviting views of the park.

The reason for pulling it down, of course, is that it would give the corner much better access to the park.

There are a variety of “goods” tussling with each other here so it’s important not to lose the forest for the trees: the goal is to ensure no further development encroachment on the park.

They could unKuhn it and restore it to it's original state, too....

orlmasonictemplecitycentre.jpg

We don't have enough historic buildings as it is without tearing one down to create a sidewalk.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

That's the City Centre building at Rosalind and Central in its original state.

Looking NW

Gotcha. I have always liked that building. Not that anyone is seriously proposing tearing it down, but I hope they keep it and the house to the east. 

• Like 1

Brendan believes it’s for a possible phase in the future. That means it’s basically where I thought it was.

As usual, OLT is holding their info very close to their vest.

Huge props to Brendan for getting back with us so soon - Bungalower is the best!

Edited by spenser1058

Then I will circle back to my original view that this project is fine IF it is paid for by private funds only. It seems fairly obvious the original plan (which appears to be the current plan) is being done to placate the ladies of Rosalind and will not amount to a significant improvement on the park itself.

If the owner of City Centre wants to make a reasonable deal then OLT can buy it also and in that scenario I'd be all in on the City pitching in. By acquiring that property the City could nicely (although not hugely) improve the park. It would be nice to return the building to original form and use it as a city museum then split the back portion of the property off to allow the corner to access the park. But this would take sizable investment that I don't see as happening.

I just don't see the value in the City creating a pocket park at the corner that does not connect to Eola Park.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Then I will circle back to my original view that this project is fine IF it is paid for by private funds only. It seems fairly obvious the original plan (which appears to be the current plan) is being done to placate the ladies of Rosalind and will not amount to a significant improvement on the park itself.

If the owner of City Centre wants to make a reasonable deal then OLT can buy it also and in that scenario I'd be all in on the City pitching in. By acquiring that property the City could nicely (although not hugely) improve the park. It would be nice to return the building to original form and use it as a city museum then split the back portion of the property off to allow the corner to access the park. But this would take sizable investment that I don't see as happening.

I just don't see the value in the City creating a pocket park at the corner that does not connect to Eola Park.

If it were to become a tower, which is what put this whole thing in motion, the Rosalind Club still disposes of “the 7-Eleven” problem. As a result, though I’ve joked about it, I don’t think that’s it.

I also believe there has to be a way for an easement to allow park access but that again might be the Rosalind Club not wanting to give up anything (is there anything separating the current building from the park on the back side? I have to take a book back to OPL today and I’ll look).

The amount the City is offering is small change compared to what they’ve spent on the DeVos debacle (the MEC will start any day now, right?) or on things like the demolition of Colonial Plaza so we could have another undistinguished strip center, so that part is less bothersome if it helps the goal of Rosalind to Summerlin for Eola. 

Often, the smallest pieces of a land purchase are the most costly. 

I agree I am not opposed if they get the full scale park (Bungalower rendition) on a reasonable deal AND it helps the Rosalind Ladies. In that case the greater good is served and the ladies benefit. I still feel the current plan greatly benefits Rosalind with very minor benefit to everyone else.

Looking at the lot lines I don't see any way a workable easement could be done here. Even if the corner building is gone there is only about 5 feet between the Rosalind House and the back side of City Centre. Even if the OLT had the Centre building the  old house at 215 Central would block access to the park. So they would need to also purchase that old house or pay to work out an easement agreement with those owners or pay the Rosalind House to take over their parking lot.

A much easier deal seems to be buy the OLT property AND the Rosalind house to convert to park property.. That would enhance the value of City Centre and maybe he could finally sell that place to someone that will improve it- in its current footprint.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I agree I am not opposed if they get the full scale park (Bungalower rendition) on a reasonable deal AND it helps the Rosalind Ladies. In that case the greater good is served and the ladies benefit. I still feel the current plan greatly benefits Rosalind with very minor benefit to everyone else.

Looking at the lot lines I don't see any way a workable easement could be done here. Even if the corner building is gone there is only about 5 feet between the Rosalind House and the back side of City Centre. Even if the OLT had the Centre building the  old house at 215 Central would block access to the park. So they would need to also purchase that old house or pay to work out an easement agreement with those owners or pay the Rosalind House to take over their parking lot.

A much easier deal seems to be buy the OLT property AND the Rosalind house to convert to park property.. That would enhance the value of City Centre and maybe he could finally sell that place to someone that will improve it- in its current footprint.

I’d love to get the house as part of the OLT investment - there’s some history involved and it has potential if restored as an upscale club or bar (I’m not sure if there’s room for a full kitchen to do a restaurant, although I saw a couple in Nashville that made it work).

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Someone is.....

eola-corner-696x594.jpg.95dcb82189ac89f5

I did not take that image seriously but maybe I should. You never know what people are capable of. 

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I just don't get it. It does create a nice entrance to the park but it is adjacent to the entrance off of Rosalind on the other side of the Rosalind club. Lots of distraction for a small impact. 

If they really want to improve the park, buy the Lowndes Dr. Beatty properties. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jack said:

I did not take that image seriously but maybe I should. You never know what people are capable of. 

I just don't get it. It does create a nice entrance to the park but it is adjacent to the entrance off of Rosalind on the other side of the Rosalind club. Lots of distraction for a small impact. 

If they really want to improve the park, buy the Lowndes Dr. Beatty properties. 

I would be happy to take that deal. I think when this all got started it looked like the Rosalind tower was the bigger threat. Because they’re working with national organizations and foundations, they may have gotten too far along to abort the mission as planned.

If I’m right, the developer who wanted to build the tower also has City Centre. If that’s correct (or he has an option on it), they may be worried he’ll come back.

Once a tower goes up there, it likely ain’t going away for 50 years or more. No doubt some of the Rosalind Club ladies remember losing the Realtors’ HQ to Craig Ustler and TPC. Now, TPC is fine and dandy (if architecturally barren, but this is Orlando), but the empty Realtors’ lot (and some incredible trees) should have been added to the park. TPC could easily have gone on any of the other three corners of the intersection. especially the NE corner (The Closing Agent) which Craig and/or Phil had ties to.

The bottom line is thinking strategically and not missing further opportunities to expand the park from Rosalind to Summerlin. Any tactical moves that make us more likely to achieve the goal are fine with me. Again, however, this is being orchestrated by FFO’s who have no interest in hearing from everyday worker bees like me, no matter how long we’ve toiled in the downtown vineyard (or groves, as it were).

52 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Here's an idea. How about they do a land swap with the city to donate their own damn building instead of pulling these games for clearly their own benefit, not any sort of altruistic goodness of their heart or benefit of the citizens. 

Agreed, if 7-eleven needs to go then so should the Rosalind Club.

Getting rid of the 7-eleven destroys the street wall and this rendering of the "pocket park" does not look or feel inviting at all, abutting the big windowless wall of City Centre.

I don't think anything should be demolished until all parcels have been assembled.

Lake Eola Park - Downtown Orlando | Orlando Land Trust
  • Like 4