Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

They could but it would require a different mayor. I cannot remember one time in 17 years the incumbent has challenged the development community. 

If they built it per plans and specs, the City has no recourse.

Regardless, the colors and scale are off. Beige is a color that should be not  be on this building. If they added a 4th floor and stepped back the 3rd, it would not look so boxy. 

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

That also reminds me: I spoke in a different thread about the tug-of-war over parking between Mayor Bill and OC Commission Chairman Lou Treadway.

Such back and forth use to be a regular feature of life in those days (not so much with the county -that was an interest of Lou’s and it tied into a gas tax being debated). There were regular discussions about what Orlando should look like and a lot of input.

Instead, this administration simply sends out a survey, picks one or two items that can be easily done and nothing ever changes.

That’s yet another reason we’ve built lots of nondescript apartment towers but haven’t really made progress on making downtown more livable for the new arrivals.

One day, we’ll do better.

Under the awesome, dynamic leadership of our amazing mayor, we most certainly will!!!! 

4 hours ago, jack said:

If they built it per plans and specs, the City has no recourse.

Regardless, the colors and scale are off. Beige is a color that should be not  be on this building. If they added a 4th floor and stepped back the 3rd, it would not look so boxy. 

Is that beige?

It looks more like a pale, vomit green to me.

Our awesome, dynamic mayor who’ll soon qualify for Social Security. Just what we need, mor geezers like the presidential candidates.

Of course, since he hasn’t actually done anything for the past dozen years or so, he should be quite comfortable. Earl K.Wood and John Land are no doubt somewhere smiling down on him

Edited by spenser1058

16 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Our awesome, dynamic mayor who’ll soon qualify for Social Security. Just what we need, mor geezers like the presidential candidates.

Of course, since he hasn’t actually done anything for the past dozen years or so, he should be quite comfortable. Earl K.Wood and John Land are no doubt somewhere smiling down on him

You've moved beyond boring, but welcome back to posting the same thing board wide.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Under the awesome, dynamic leadership of our amazing mayor, we most certainly will!!!! 

Is that beige?

It looks more like a pale, vomit green to me.

I was looking at the side elevations. But yes, pale vomit green should never be used. 

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Let’s take a walk around Eola Park:

From Orlando Streets 

Nice post spenser1058 (the video is nice...the bird sounds are obviously "dubbed"..but..that's okay...as a parrot I will let this one go). I lived a couple of blocks from Lake Eola for quite a few years. I miss the lake (and my old neighborhood)...but am kinda glad to be a little bit farther away now (well...only a mile or so...but it feels like alot more). No worries. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Nice post spenser1058 (the video is nice...the bird sounds are obviously "dubbed"..but..that's okay...as a parrot I will let this one go). I lived a couple of blocks from Lake Eola for quite a few years. I miss the lake (and my old neighborhood)...but am kinda glad to be a little bit farther away now (well...only a mile or so...but it feels like alot more). No worries. Cheers.

I used to live on E. Pine St just east of Summerlin then moved exactly one block south to E. Church. Lived in those two places for 15 years. I miss living that close to Eola also, and like you, moved a short distance (about 2 miles) away.

If you don't mind me asking, where around there did you live and around what time.

I lived around that area from about '84 to '99.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Why do you think the bird sounds are "dubbed"? That's what Lake Eola sounds like sometimes. When the city first switched from Sodium Vapour Lamps (yellow lights) to LED white lights I think it confused the birds because even at 3AM some of them would perch on top of the light and go nuts just like in the video.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Why do you think the bird sounds are "dubbed"?

Just an observation...that's all. There is a predominant bird singing and it (the same bird) seems to be following the camera all the way around the lake. The volume of the singing hardly changes at all...even in more open areas where there few (if any) trees. This is also noticeable on the bridge areas and especially on that wooden dock (on the north side of the lake) where the camera rotates 360 degrees. Absent also are the sounds of people talking, running and jogging...as well as the sounds of cars and a golf cart that passes the camera at some point (and most all other ambient sounds also). I listen to alot of nature/field recordings (as a sleep aid) and that's what this immediately sounded like to me. It sounds like a digital field recorder mounted on a tripod in an isolated area with the microphone recording 16 minutes of nature sounds from the immediate surroundings. I didn't mean to sound critical of the video because I'm not. Perhaps "dubbed" was a poor choice of words. Maybe "accompanied" we have been a better description (or maybe I'm just flat out mishearing things). No worries either way. I actually like the audio recording alot (as it is) and it adds a peaceful tranquility to a pleasant walk around one of my favorite parks while filmed on a beautiful day. I even like the acoustic guitar playing as well. Kudos to whoever made the video. Well done. Cheers.

p.s. I did a double take at the the 3:50 mark when I saw (what first looked to be) Mayor Buddy Dyer's stunt double.

11 hours ago, JFW657 said:

If you don't mind me asking, where around there did you live and around what time.

I lived over by Eola General....although I think it might have been called "Handy Pantry" back then. Man....I think I kept that place in business with all the beer I bought there over the years.  I bumped into Billy Manes there quite often (R.I.P). I was a big fan of his Orlando Weekly "B-Lister" column at the time. For some reason I never got the nerve to strike up a meaningful conversation with him. Looking back now I really wish I had. Oh well.  Happy Weekend Everybody! Be safe and Cheers!

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 2

I lived on Amelia in 1988-89, just a hop, skip and a jump away from the Handy Pantry. I liked it over there and the HP was definitely a daily stop.

Billy tended to be shy about meeting new folks, but once you got him started he would have you laughing up a storm.

Had Buddy stayed in jail (I won’t say a word!) it’s interesting to ponder what Orlando might have been like with Billy as  mayor. He was a smart man and felt passionately about Orlando - it could have been amazing.

Btw - did you notice the old city flag and the soldier were still there? Also, what trip around Eola would be complete without a stop afterward at the Pop Parlour!?!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I used to live on Broadway in lake Eola Heights for a while. It was a great neighborhood, and used to pop into Handy Pantry for a sandwich or cold drink every so often. The best part about it was that I could walk to work and I could walk home for lunch if I wanted to.  

Broadway Methodist is such a cool small church building. They’ve had some challenges keeping their numbers up but I sure would hate to lose that building.

While the Methodists have a very traditional building, the Orlando Central Seventh-Day Adventist Church which is (I think) at Broadway and Hillcrest has one of the few mid-century modern church buildings I actually like (compare it with College Park Methodist, whose architect should have been shunned). Anyway, the Adventists’ building is another awesome one in the neighborhood I wouldn’t want to lose.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I lived on Amelia in 1988-89, just a hop, skip and a jump away from the Handy Pantry. I liked it over there and the HP was definitely a daily stop.

Billy tended to be shy about meeting new folks, but once you got him started he would have you laughing up a storm.

Had Buddy stayed in jail (I won’t say a word!) it’s interesting to ponder what Orlando might have been like with Billy as  mayor. He was a smart man and felt passionately about Orlando - it could have been amazing.

Btw - did you notice the old city flag and the soldier were still there? Also, what trip around Eola would be complete without a stop afterward at the Pop Parlour!?!

Or it could have been a disaster.

I think Donald Trump has been an object lesson in the potential pitfalls of electing people based on personality over administrative skill and experience, no matter which end of the political/ideological spectrum they lean towards.

And speaking of Trump... given the way you heap praise on our former Republican mayors while constantly deriding the current Democrat, I'm wondering if maybe you might be happier with The Donald as Orlando's mayor than with Buddy D.

Of course, we know Trump would never lower himself to take the top job in a third tier burg such as Orlando, but maybe you would have settled for one of his Republican TV protégés?

article-1373101-0B7862D300000578-996_308

:shades: :lol: 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Or it could have been a disaster.

I think Donald Trump has been an object lesson in the potential pitfalls of electing people based on personality over administrative skill and experience, no matter which end of the political/ideological spectrum they lean towards.

And speaking of Trump... given the way you heap praise on our former Republican mayors while constantly deriding the current Democrat, I'm wondering if maybe you might be happier with The Donald as Orlando's mayor than with Buddy D.

Of course, we know Trump would never lower himself to take the top job in a third tier burg such as Orlando, but maybe you would have settled for one of his Republican TV protégés?

article-1373101-0B7862D300000578-996_308

:shades: :lol: 

One thing we can say for sure is that Billy Manes was nothing like Donald Trump (Billy also, thank God, was not one of the latter-day Republicans).

The closest Orlando politician to The Donald was Randy Ross, and his sexual orientation was enough in question that the wingnuts wouldn’t vote for him and the rest of us recognized what a shyster he was.

Also on that list would have been Doug Guetzloe, but where Billy was all about building Orlando up, Doug was all about tearing it down (unless, of course, you wanted to pay him to keep his “Axe the Taxers” from fighting any moves toward progress - had it not been for Doug, we likely would have made a lot more progress here in the ‘80’s and ‘90’s).

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I remember when all this was happening. I was not a fan of Ernest Page.  More interesting would have been if Bill Frederick was elected, not Manes. 

5 minutes ago, jack said:

I remember when all this was happening. I was not a fan of Ernest Page.  More interesting would have been if Bill Frederick was elected, not Manes. 

Obviously, I would have nothing bad to say about Mayor Bill. However, he was addressing his run as a caretaker at that point, something we’ve had far too much of here locally (once again reinforcing the “stayed too long”  problem we perpetually have).

A lot of people refused to take Billy seriously, but that was their error, not his. Al Franken had the same problem when he ran for the Senate, but he turned out to be one of that body’s most effective members.

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

One thing we can say for sure is that Billy Manes was nothing like Donald Trump (Billy also, thank God, was not one of the latter-day Republicans).

The closest Orlando politician to The Donald was Randy Ross, and his sexual orientation was enough in question that the wingnuts wouldn’t vote for him and the rest of us recognized what a shyster he was.

Also on that list would have been Doug Guetzloe, but where Billy was all about building Orlando up, Doug was all about tearing it down (unless, of course, you wanted to pay him to keep his “Axe the Taxers” from fighting any moves toward progress - had it not been for Doug, we likely would have made a lot more progress here in the ‘80’s and ‘90’s).

He was certainly no Donald Trump from a conservative political or ideological standpoint, but that misses the point I was making.

However, in the interest of not further dragging this thread off topic and into politics, I will just leave it at that. 

Just a clarification- Mayor Bill was a DEMOCRATIC mayor. 

As to how much of a Democrat Buddy is, just stop into the Democratic Executive Committee one night and ask them how much of a “Democrat” he is. He has endorsed Republicans (and we won’t even talk about Bloomberg).

There was a time that Orlando and OC were  very conservative and our politicians needed to play those fence-straddling games. That time is long over and Buddy’s still stuck in a bygone era. Just another reason he’s long past his “use by” date. He’s still representing corporate interests instead of people. 

• Like 1

Eola Park seems to be adding another permanent spot for food trucks on Eola Dr. near the playground and east trestrooms.

It appears the larger setup at the Osceola Ave turnabout (next to Parkside) is continuing as is the Central Blvd spot by the Sherry Fountain.

Given all the folks closing their restaurants due to COVID to go back to their food truck  roots, this seems a great idea. Hats off to the City!