Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

These days, my walking at Eola Park tends to be on the east side and the south side over to Publix and along Central to OPL to return books.

It seems that I have been missing some things I saw when I did the full circle today:

• Relax Grill has been refurbished in a dark green color - it’s definitely an improvement;

• The Cambria Suites site (an empty lot for some time now) is For Lease. Is that to just allow temporary pop-ups or something on the lot - what does that mean?

• St George’s Greek Orthodox is now enclosed in a fence. That took me back several decades to when George Will wrote a column noting FUMCO allowed the homeless into their facility while a Texas Baptist church put up a fence to keep them out. He thought we looked much more Christian than they did. I know St. George’s was allowing folks to congregate in an old building behind the church - I wonder if it got to be too much for them.

Cambria: the sign has been up for at least 2 years. The lease is for the commercial space on the bottom two floors of Cambria Suites... whenever that happens.

St George's: The fence has been up for at least 3 years now. They close the gates when the church closes for the night. I'm pretty sure it's meant to stop homeless people from camping out on the front steps and the back of the building after hours.

I wrote about this a while back... The pink building is also owned by the church and was condemned by the city years ago, however, the church still hosts mass feedings in the parking lot. The event attracts hundreds of homeless people to the area - and one can only surmise those hundreds of homeless people then disperse into Lake Eola and surrounding neighborhoods. IMO erecting the fence was the least the church could do after a woman was brutally assaulted (physically and sexually) in the alley behind the church by a homeless man. Same with the Baptist Church on Rosalind & Pine - they  too used to allow large groups of homeless people to sleep on the entrance on Pine St until a homeless man assaulted a woman in the area. I can personally tell you that it felt extremely unsafe walking in both areas with groups of homeless people camping out at night. One of our old UP members used to comment about how aggressive the panhandlers were getting on Pine St.

To me it's reckless to invite that many homeless people into the area (many of them suffering from mental issues & substance abuse addiction), then turn a blind eye and disregard the aftermath when you close up shop. Good intentions are not enough if you cannot responsibly offer all encompassing service. They also need to recognizing the toll it takes on the quality of life for downtown residents. Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, the churches are better off supporting the numerous homeless services in the area.

I know when FUMCO was doing it we had church members who volunteered to help with security and working directly with OPD - I think that would have to be a requirement. At the same time, putting a fence around a sanctuary is hardly a WWJD optic and I’m glad we found another way.

Given that occupancy rates of hotels are traditionally low downtown and that we’ve usually only been able to accommodate 1 or 2 new ones per decade in the Disney era (and COVID making matters worse), I find it hard to see Cambria being built any time soon with the Church St. Marriott property supposedly opening in January and the TraveLodge replacement whenever it comes online.

In fact, I’ve wondered if the Crowne Plaza might be repurposed (it started as a HoJo in the early ‘70’s so it’s coming up on 50yo); the Veranda B&B has mostly done so and I’m told Eo is just hanging on.

• 2 weeks later...

The very ‘70’s, vaguely California Modern apartment complex at S. Summerlin and E. Church St. has finally gotten some love. It’s not a major redo but some new, period-appropriate signage, a fresh paint job and some work on the window frames have made a world of difference.

South Eola is being bombarded with mid- and high-rises so it’s good to see a nod to the old neighborhood being tended to rather than demolished for an oversized Baker Barrios monstrosity . Definitely a win-win.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not in favor of the plan that is currently on the table to purchase the corner of Rosalind and Central (the 7-11 building) and convert it to a new "entrance" to the park. I personally think the plan is costly with minor return, at least in its current iteration. I keep seeing them use a drawing that includes the City Center Building (see attached article), but there has never been any mention of them trying to actually do that, although I'm sure discussions are going on behind the scene. IF that was going to occur, would the Land Trust also buy and gift that property or would the City be making the purchase?

As stated, I don't like the current plan, but I sure give these ladies a ton of respect for their activism- see the article.

https://www.orlandomagazine.com/spotlight-duo-fights-to-protect-lake-eola-park-from-development/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, codypet said:

I was always wondering if they were members of UC and just decided they needed to buy the building because they didn't want vagrants there that were drawn by 7-11.

In the current political environment, it’s easy to be cynical about the motives folks have surrounding a change. From everything I know about these ladies and hearing the stump speeches they give at gatherings to raise money for this, these are Orlando-born folks who just want to make sure the city’s crown jewel grows and prospers along with the rest of downtown.

Given their ages, it would be easy to suppose they are against change downtown but that seems not to be the case at all. They simply want the park to be able to support the changes. It makes me proud to be in the company of folks like that as a fellow Orlando native.

I would have preferred to concentrate on the lots available on the other side of the lake but we’re all in favor of the goal of expanding the park to accommodate the many new downtown residents and visitors from the even faster-growing ‘burbs.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

It looks like their next goal might be the Fifth Third Bank building as they've aid that they want to secure the four corners of the park. After this first project, the only other corner not in the park is that building.

While I think purchasing the building is a bit out of the question, I think they could definitely work with the owners to purchase the parking lots. I'm sure they could find permanent parking in one of the 7 parking garages within two blocks of the building.

Here's a question. What properties would you all attempt to purchase for the park? Where should the park expand first?

Edited by WAJAS
  • Like 1

Just now, AmIReal said:

I'm the odd man out... I don't see a good solution for purchasing property to expand the park. IF any of the property holders wanted to give below market prices to the City to complete a park I might reconsider. Otherwise, I'd rather the City put the money into the other parks and bike/ walking trails to enhance connectivity. 

Despite the limitations, Eola is wonderful as it is and serves the need.

That's the situation with the Orlando Land Trust has negotiated with the owners of the 7-eleven. I think a decent amount of property in the area is still owned by Orlando natives, and it wouldn't be too far fetched to think that the owners of some of the other lots around Lake Eola would offer below market price.

38 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

This may sound weird. . . But I would purchase the Cambria Hotel lot across the street and the AT&T building, then build a green overpass over Rosalind to more directly connect DT to the park without having to cross 3 lanes of traffic, and tie it back into the history center/old courthouse park and Wall Street. 

This is where I'd go next as well. Expanding into downtown would require a lot of cooperation that I doubt would really work out.

30 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I would like to start with the two vacant lots, one on each side of Lowndes, Drosdick, which run from Eola Dr to Summerlin.

I like this idea though. The fact most of that block isn't developed makes this not completely out of the question. I'd rather they just do a large crosswalk with a light than the bridge. It's more likely to occur and, if done properly, will get similar results.

• Like 1

I'm surprised to have learned that one of the properties that @spenser1058 mentioned is owned by Craig Ustler of Creative Village, Urban Rethink, Thornton Park Central, etc.  The middle lot is owned by the law firm itself. Another is owned by a local family, and the last is owned by the Eola Inn's owners. This is all from the Orange County InfoMap.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

This may sound weird. . . But I would purchase the Cambria Hotel lot across the street and the AT&T building, then build a green overpass over Rosalind to more directly connect DT to the park without having to cross 3 lanes of traffic, and tie it back into the history center/old courthouse park and Wall Street. 

Ohhhh man you'll have to pry that AT&T property from their cold dead hands.  That's AT&T singlemost important property as it relates to broadband in this city.  Pretty much everything goes through that building.

12 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I'm the odd man out... I don't see a good solution for purchasing property to expand the park. IF any of the property holders wanted to give below market prices to the City to complete a park I might reconsider. Otherwise, I'd rather the City put the money into the other parks and bike/ walking trails to enhance connectivity. 

Despite the limitations, Eola is wonderful as it is and serves the need.

The Robinson Road diet will accomplish some of that.

Edited by codypet

30 minutes ago, codypet said:

Ohhhh man you'll have to pry that AT&T property from there cold dead hands.  That's AT&T singlemost important property as it relates to broadband in this city.  Pretty much everything goes through that building.

The Robinson Road diet will accomplish some of that.

I wondered about that. I was always told that, no matter how ugly it is, we’d have to survive a nuclear attack and start civilization all over again before that thing is going anywhere.

It’s rather like a monolith from some ancient civilization in an episode of Star Trek that Captain Kirk would shake his fist at - if you touch it, everything dies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, codypet said:

Ohhhh man you'll have to pry that AT&T property from their cold dead hands.  That's AT&T singlemost important property as it relates to broadband in this city.  Pretty much everything goes through that building.

I don't expect them to sell, but it's time for them to be a good neighbor and upgrade the exterior... pressure wash and install a contemporary facade or something. Long overdue. I understand the use/need for the building, but if it's going to remain a bunker, the least they can do is make it a pretty one - especially being located on a corridor street leading to Lake Eola Park.

• Like 4

I've been an advocate of them putting a faux entrance and windows especially on the 1920's portion of the building.  The unfortunate thing is with a faux entrance, even the real entrance is a problem as there's a stiff urine smell from the building from all the homeless sleeping and using the building as a bathroom.

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

At least that Giant Antenna thingy is gone. . . 

ceaedadb4b60362c36ebbb77923100e3.jpg

You give AT&T too much credit, but it wasn't their idea. From what I understand it was out of service for years (decades??) but they left it up there until the city asked them to remove it as part of the revitalization of downtown. And who helped raise the $75K for the removal?? Developers and the city.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-2005-12-09-tower09-story.html

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

You give AT&T too much credit, but it wasn't their idea. From what I understand it was out of service for years (decades??) but they left it up there until the city asked them to remove it as part of the revitalization of downtown. And who helped raise the $75K for the removal?? Developers and the city.

Yep, I remember that but I think it was Lincoln that pledged the money, not Dynetech but my memory is a bit hazy. 

4 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Late 90's they were taken out of service.  Those microwave antennae were all over Orlando.

This tower at Moss Park and Narcoossee had it.

image.png.a8dbe119d73f2c425542466b71b995b3.png

Along with this one in Windermere which was taller and had a pair facing downtown.

image.png.0897a9401423849f8adbdea72c76232b.png

On 12/6/2020 at 4:41 PM, WAJAS said:

It looks like their next goal might be the Fifth Third Bank building as they've aid that they want to secure the four corners of the park.

I know it’s a long shot but I’m ready for that building to go. There’s a empty lot directly north that’s just surface parking that would make a much better officer tower site. 

Include ACME and now you’ve got a better pedestrian experience to the Radius courtyard. 

maybe we need a fantasy development thread...