Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

47 minutes ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Biked through Eola Heights today and there was a massive film/tv shoot going on near the intersection of Cathcart and Harwood. Carthcart was closed from Livingston down to the Handy Pantry. There were cast and crew and production equipment all over the street. I'd seen a collection of large trucks parked at Sorosis Women's Club yesterday and wondered what they were there for (now I know). Anyone in that area got any idea? Just curious. My old place might end up being in a background shot there. Cheers.

Generally, unless one of the crew will tell you what they are filming, it is very difficult to find out. Producers like to keep it private to reduce onlookers.

However,  I think the Right Stuff and Highwaymen are still filming locally, along with several other smaller projects.

My guess is someone at Eola General could tell you.

A few people mentioned this on NextDoor for LEH:

"****FILMING NOTICE**** for Lake Eola Heights 2/1-2/5. Hello Eola Heights neighbors. This afternoon, some of you may get a knock on the door by some of my colleagues. We have been preparing to film exteriors at a few private residences/streets in Eola Heights for a Warner Brothers produced drama TV show "David Makes Man" (OWN). We would love to directly communicate with all residents on the affected blocks in the next few days - to answer any questions you may have and also collect contact information if we have any issues. We can also happily explain what this means for the neighborhood the week of Feb 1 - Feb 5. Please see the attached film notice, and if you live on any of the directly affected streets noted, please reach out to myself or Juan Ortiz. We are happy to answer any questions and address any concerns you may have. "

https://d3926qxcw0e1bh.cloudfront.net/post_photos/76/cc/76ccfe6a44bd31ed1c10ad0c57792b74.jpeg

I also heard there was some filming going on in Lake Como, but I'm not sure if it's related to this project.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

I think the Right Stuff and Highwaymen are still filming locally

Yeah...I happened across The Right Stuff filming (on site) several times last year....twice in the Bel-Air neighborhood and once down by Lake Cherokee (the vintage cars and costumes gave it away).

56 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

"****FILMING NOTICE**** for Lake Eola Heights 2/1-2/5...

Thanks for the info on that. Cheers.

7 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Biked through Eola Heights today and there was a massive film/tv shoot going on near the intersection of Cathcart and Harwood. Carthcart was closed from Livingston down to the Handy Pantry. There were cast and crew and production equipment all over the street. I'd seen a collection of large trucks parked at Sorosis Women's Club yesterday and wondered what they were there for (now I know). Anyone in that area got any idea? Just curious. My old place might end up being in a background shot there. Cheers.

Filming exteriors for season two of "David Makes Man" on the Oprah Network. The majority of the filming takes place at Universal. https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv-guy/os-et-david-makes-man-orlando-tv-series-20190809-kze2o35ceff4pevhssrpvuul7y-story.html

Edited by smileguy

On 12/26/2020 at 9:38 AM, spenser1058 said:

They have whitewashed the little office building at S. Summerlin Ave. and E. South St.

It was a light brick color on the ground floor and beige stucco on the second and looked like a visitor from the’70’s.

Because it’s all white now, @JFW657 will likely think it’s an abomination but, for a low-cost refresh, I think it brightens the corner. Now if they’ll just work on those duplexes beyond it.

Looks like they came to their senses and added some color afterall.... :thumbsup:

IMG-20210130-142543.jpg

Someone must've told them that I disapproved of the all white.... :D

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2021 at 4:40 PM, dwSouthEola said:

The very 1st pic in this thread is of The Paramount, so I thought I’d post that they recently finished adding letters down the side of the bldg. I think it looks great, as if its always been this way and def adds to the deco flair of the bldg. When I went out to take the pics, I noticed they even put a smaller sign above the Publix exit on Central Blvd. CitiTower had initially filed to have a backlit sign across the top of their bldg and they don't, so idk what happened w that but it could be neat.

Also idk if it's ok to post a link here ? The name of this thread is Lake Eola Neighborhood and it's kind of a mix of Eola Heights and South Eola stuff right ? There's no actual Lake Eola neighborhood. Although when we formed our neighborhood association in 2016 the city said we could “name yourselves anything you want” and a few people suggested the Lake Eola neighborhood association bc the lake is in South Eola. In the end we didn’t, it's the South Eola association bc that's the name of our neighborhood - why try to be something else ?

Anyway, we worked with residents and the Orlando Regional History Center to put together this page on our website dedicated to the history of South Eola and I hope it’s ok to share here = southeola.org/history  Have a great day !

I don't think the title was meant to be the literal name of the neighborhood, just easily cover overall topics surrounding Lake Eola. Similar to the way we referred to SODO (prior to the official name change). For a while, South Eola & Thornton Park were pretty much synonymous before the old duplexes were demolished and South Eola was revitalized... I think it's great that SE is finally establishing itself. IMO neighborhood branding is pretty much a new concept in Orlando. In NYC, the boundaries are pretty clear/understood. Meanwhile here in Orlando (besides historic district monument markers) the city finally started putting up blue signs to denote neighborhood names within the past 10 years or so.

Also, even though Lake Eola itself is located within South Eola neighborhood, the Central Business District neighborhood includes northwest and southwest commercial corners of Lake Eola Park and the area directly below Central Blvd until about Lake Ave (directly across the street from the Paramount). So we basically end up with The Paramount being located within "South Eola" and The Waverly being located within the "Central Business District" neighborhood despite it's geographical location directly south of Lake Eola. Same with properties to the East of Lake Eola being located within the South Eola neighborhood. Just saying it's easier (and less confusing) to refer to the area as "Lake Eola Neighborhood" than worry about arbitrary neighborhood lines when it's all downtown anyway lol. (Unless it comes down to home values, for instance when someone is trying to determine whether they really live in Winter Park or not.) Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, codypet said:

IMO I consider the grassy area between Waverly and Capital Plaza the divider between So Eola and CBD.  That cuts a line south through a bunch of parking garages and lots which in an of themselves are barriers between the CBD and South Eola.

I think this is exactly correct.

3 hours ago, codypet said:

IMO I consider the grassy area between Waverly and Capital Plaza the divider between So Eola and CBD.  That cuts a line south through a bunch of parking garages and lots which in an of themselves are barriers between the CBD and South Eola.

They want to redevelop the entire block just south of that, so it may not be that way for long. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, codypet said:

But that's not the actual boundary though. See, this is why it's easier to refer to the general area as Lake Eola Neighborhood because the neighborhood boundaries are kind of arbitrary (but nothing wrong with clarifying which neighborhood you actually live in). Years ago I started digging into this stuff once I started buying properties in the area and became curious about the specific neighborhood each property was located in. Personally, I just find this stuff interesting, but people who don't live in the area probably ain't got time for that lol.

I found a few neighborhood maps. The bold red lines denote commissioner district boundaries. Neighborhood boundaries are as follows: South Eola - light blue, Central Business District - peach, and Lake Eola Heights - yellow. Lake Ave is the divider between South Eola & the CBD which is in line with what I was saying earlier:

829545587_SouthEolamap.thumb.jpg.34a3aeb9e261487c93a90642606a87f3.jpg1209804858_CBDmap.thumb.jpg.296007795a3cc4d94cb5fe8aa9edea7a.jpg

Also, here's a more detailed neighborhood map of the City of Orlando if you're curious about other areas (it may take a while to download as the map populates all of the street names): https://gis.orlando.gov/PDF_Docs/NeighborhoodMaps/NbhdandDistricts2PieceWallmap.pdf

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, idroveazamboni said:

I'm curious how many people live in Lake Eola Neighbourhood. My definition is from Rosalind to Summerlin and Central to SR 408W. 

If you are using the term Neighbourhood, I think this should include more residential structures that closely identify with Lake Eola as well.  I would move the line further west to Magnolia  to include Modera, Metroplitan, Dynatech, VUE and up north to Robinson including a NW breakout section for Skyhouse and Radius.

5 hours ago, FLheat said:

If you are using the term Neighbourhood, I think this should include more residential structures that closely identify with Lake Eola as well.  I would move the line further west to Magnolia  to include Modera, Metropolitan, Dynatech, VUE and up north to Robinson including a NW breakout section for Skyhouse and Radius.

Ok, so how many people are living in the neighbourhood using your boundaries? My parents live in Orlando so I usually go downtown when I visit them 1-2 a year. 

11 hours ago, idroveazamboni said:

Ok, so how many people are living in the neighbourhood using your boundaries? My parents live in Orlando so I usually go downtown when I visit them 1-2 a year. 

Per city-data 2017 numbers, S. Eola had roughly 1,800 people. https://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/South-Eola-Orlando-FL.html map included.

Modera and Radius each have about 330 units, so maybe 500-600 people each. Not sure how many units are in Metro, Dynatech or Vue... maybe another 1000 people combined? Then you'd need to add in 530 and whatever else built out in the past 3 years.  All in roughly a quarter square mile makes it easily the most dense area in the City.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

Hmm maybe its just me, but I've always considered the CBD to stop at Rosalind.  It's such a natural divider.  I get that OC HQ is on the other side, but meh.

I think OC gets it, too. When county government was located at the Courthouse Annex, there were zero trees.

When they moved to the Brick Bunker, they  went to great lengths to save trees not only around the building but in all the county parking lots. They understood the difference in the ambience east and west of Rosalind.

On 2/11/2021 at 3:45 PM, nite owℓ said:

Central Business District neighborhood includes northwest and southwest commercial corners of Lake Eola Park and the area directly below Central Blvd until about Lake Ave

We asked about the western corners (especially after the Land Trust gained traction with their hopeful acquisition at Central/Rosalind) and how the tax collector puts those buildings in South Eola but the GIS map doesn't. The city basically said the corners were not included bc they're zoned for business and felt inclusion in the CBD was more appropriate. As for the map not including down to Lake Ave & the Waverly, I can only assume (which you should never do) that the area was defined before the Waverly was built in the 90s. I remember living at Post Parkside when they built Waverly and there wasn't a lot around, so it makes sense that area had similarly been seen as commercial property in the past.

That said, in 2016 we were directed by the city to accept Waverly residents (even Metropolitan residents) if they wanted to join our newly established organization, because the CBD doesn't have (or didn't at the time) an established neighborhood association and they felt we may share similar area concerns. A few of our initial reorganization meetings with the city were actually held at the Waverly before the Parks Dept donated use of the Eola House for our community meetings.. and from time to time we've had Waverly residents come to our association meetings. At the end of the day the city asked us to organize, to bring community issues to the table for residents that were not being represented. (Sorry for rambling)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

It appears the Orlando Land Trust has succeeded in raising the needed funds and will announce the acquisition of the corner of Central and Rosalind.

Per Bungalower they will announce it tomorrow.

https://bungalower.com/2021/03/22/orlando-land-trust-announces-acquisition-of-land-for-lake-eola-park-expansion/

Oh Thank Heaven!

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

It appears the Orlando Land Trust has succeeded in raising the needed funds and will announce the acquisition of the corner of Central and Rosalind.

Per Bungalower they will announce it tomorrow.

https://bungalower.com/2021/03/22/orlando-land-trust-announces-acquisition-of-land-for-lake-eola-park-expansion/

I’m on the fence about this — it’s not really connected to Lake Eola and would be a quasi-pocket park at a busy corner. It displaces several small businesses and what is left behind is likely to end up being a grassy area at a busy corner with that ugly wall facing it on the eastern edge.

Let’s hope the city does something interesting with the space so it doesn’t turn into a dog park and/or a homeless hangout.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I’m on the fence about this — it’s not really connected to Lake Eola and would be a quasi-pocket park at a busy corner. It displaces several small businesses and what is left behind is likely to end up being a grassy area at a busy corner with that ugly wall facing it on the eastern edge.

Let’s hope the city does something interesting with the space so it doesn’t turn into a dog park and/or a homeless hangout.

I think what is more significant is what it represents - the first step in a commitment to park expansion that will hopefully one day take the park from Rosalind to Summerlin. The creation of OLT gives us a permanent mechanism to work toward such a goal.

The 7-Eleven is already a “homeless hangout” so that would not be a change. One day, the city will get more serious about the issue, perhaps by instituting a permanent funding source such as has been done in South Florida or using funds for an actual “distress” situation instead of using it to build roads for theme park companies. (No, I’m not talking about the current plans by the county - this refers to an earlier move by the City back when IOA was being developed).

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1