Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

*only has value if its a true exchange of FAR currency.  Need to be able to push on all but the most restrictive of zoning sites.   You could handle it a number of different ways, different zoning class specific bonuses, Building PSF based credits, or even create tiered rings with different FAR bonus credit values:  

image.png

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 5:19 PM, ChiDev said:

*only has value if its a true exchange of FAR currency.  Need to be able to push on all but the most restrictive of zoning sites.   You could handle it a number of different ways, different zoning class specific bonuses, Building PSF based credits, or even create tiered rings with different FAR bonus credit values:  

image.png

I like the tiered approach, but I think it would need to be more specific than could be worked with rings. The idea is cool though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 1:31 AM, F-L-A said:

I wasn't even referring to that corner. While I disagree wholeheartedly with using it for a segregated park space that's not even integrated with the rest of the park, I'm much more concerned with the fact that Spenser wants to demolish EVERYTHING around the park. Everything except the Rosalind Club apparently. Because wanting that to go or even just acknowledging the hypocrisy of their agenda is somehow misogynist now.

Are we sure he's not a member there?

I’d love to know where you all were when they were tearing down historic old houses to build godawful monstrosities like the Landmarks. For that matter, The Waverly did the same thing and, based on the way I’ve heard my friend’s neighbors going at it, not particularly great build quality. 

I went to get an oil change at the Goodyear on Bumby today and planned to get $$ at the Bumby Chase branch (another cool little structure from bygone days - I just wished we’d saved the one downtown). Anyway, both ATM’s were down so I ended up walking over to The Plaza this afternoon instead.

First, Camden pseudo-Thornton Park is doing a good job with retail. No chains but the boutiques are pretty diverse in offerings and not all bars and Peruvian seaweed restaurants. I like that.

Lots of folks walking between TP and downtown proper (did I mention the incredible amount of eye candy on my stroll? Be still, my aging heart).

Jimmy Hula’s had a sizable outdoor crowd and the movie theater seemed to be busy.

I did not encounter any homeless folks - I did not however make it to the other side of Orange. Something you should know - the busier a place gets, the less likely the more aggressive homeless folks are likely to be naughty. It’s not an accident that as Eola and Thornton Park get busier and Orange Ave/Church St. had less and less retail, things flip-flopped. Some folks are so incensed by a single interaction of that sort, they lose it entirely. Those of us who’ve lived downtown for decades however have seen the transition. Get Thomas Chatmon to bring back retail to, ummm, Main and Main (oh wait, he moved that), and that problem will move again.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I went to get an oil change at the Goodyear on Bumby today and planned to get $$ at the Bumby Chase branch (another cool little structure from bygone days - I just wished we’d saved the one downtown). Anyway, both ATM’s were down so I ended up walking over to The Plaza this afternoon instead.

First, Camden pseudo-Thornton Park is doing a good job with retail. No chains but the boutiques are pretty diverse in offerings and not all bars and Peruvian seaweed restaurants. I like that.

Lots of folks walking between TP and downtown proper (did I mention the incredible amount of eye candy on my stroll? Be still, my aging heart).

Jimmy Hula’s had a sizable outdoor crowd and the movie theater seemed to be busy.

I did not encounter any homeless folks - I did not however make it to the other side of Orange. Something you should know - the busier a place gets, the less likely the more aggressive homeless folks are likely to be naughty. It’s not an accident that as Eola and Thornton Park get busier and Orange Ave/Church St. had less and less retail, things flip-flopped. Some folks are so incensed by a single interaction of that sort, they lose it entirely. Those of us who’ve lived downtown for decades however have seen the transition. Get Thomas Chatmon to bring back retail to, ummm, Main and Main (oh wait, he moved that), and that problem will move again.

The ATMs at that Chase have been busted for weeks. Driving me nuts.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I’d love to know where you all were when they were tearing down historic old houses to build godawful monstrosities like the Landmarks. For that matter, The Waverly did the same thing and, based on the way I’ve heard my friend’s neighbors going at it, not particularly great build quality. 

I hate to break it to you, but tearing them down now won't bring back what they replaced.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the empty lot at Osceola and Pine where the “party animal” apartments used to be has been enclosed with some incredibly green grass and a lovely wrought iron fence.

Only problem is, there are no benches so I wonder just how much utility it will have as a dog park. I also couldn’t figure out where the gate is so maybe we’re just supposed to admire how lovely the grass is.

Anyway, it is a marked improvement over the empty lot and the dilapidated apartments there before. Here’s hoping it will become functional (on an otherwise busy Sunday afternoon with lots of folks out and about, it was completely empty).

I should also note Baptist Terrace has traded in butter yellow for light blue trim. I think I preferred the former but I am pleased to see that what amounts to affordable housing being well-tended after all these years. That’s generally true of all the retirement towers downtown (along with the Adventists’ Hillcrest-Hampton House in Mills/50  and The Catholic/Episcopalian Cloister almost into SoDo territory). Whoever launched that program back in the ‘60’s can be proud it still seems to work.

Edited by spenser1058

20 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I'm not following you. Are you saying you would have preferred all the property along Central Blvd to remain SFH?

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Umm...in diapers.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll believe it when I see it, but...

"Developers eye construction start for downtown Orlando's mixed-use Vive on Eola"

This is the 144 micro units located at 205 S. Eola Dr that was discussed here previously.  They say, "Construction on the $30 million project may wrap up in 2023" so they better get their butts in gear.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/08/11/florida-downtown-orlando-apartment-construction.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 6:19 PM, spenser1058 said:

Many apartments/condos downtown are not built with sound mitigation in mind, unfortunately. Your friend can always hire a contractor/handyman to insulate the walls adjoining neighboring units--well worth it IMO. The Waverly has become an iconic fixture of our downtown skyline and offers residents some of the best views of Lake Eola sunrise/sunsets.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 6:19 PM, spenser1058 said:

...putting KISS makeup on my face for Halloween and going to the local roller rink with a chaperone...

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I’m in town this weekend and I just got my Chicken Tenders Pub Sub (on SALE - save $2.50!) and bought some fresh guac at the farmers’ market. It is the best I’ve had since Spats in Nashville 35 years ago.

PLUS, Target had Sam Adams Cherry Wheat in stock ON SALE. Life doesn’t get any better in The City Beautiful!

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

The latest among the endlessly rotating list of restaurants along S. Eola Dr has opened:

https://bungalower.com/2021/09/13/eyes-on-the-street-new-restaurant-now-open-in-south-eola/

From Bungalower 

Have you ever wondered just how much money has been blown over the last decade on eateries that would be lucky to last six months at best?

Fascinating.

Def stop by and check it out if you're in the neighborhood. It's still the same owners - they opened as Coco Cocina for a year,  menu change and rebrand as Coco Bar and Tapas for 6mos, this time it's a completely new concept called Saisei which is 'rebirth' in Japanese. We shared their renovation on Instagram a few times, and some more pics from the first nigh of the soft open. Hours during the soft opening are 5pm-10pm and 11pm Fri & Sat. It's really cool inside and the drinks were really good. We had already had dinner but the food smelled delicious and was told there are vegetarian options.  www.instagram.com/southeola2021 <-- if linking that is not allowed let me know : )

Edited by dwSouthEola
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, codypet said:

I think about the amount of decor that gets ripped out and thrown into landfills.   Same with houses in my neighborhood that get heavily renovated inside only for the house to see the bulldozer when its sold.

That kind of thing has always been a concern of mine too.

But it was my understanding that the majority of construction and demolition debris gets recycled.

According to the EPA, and as reflected in this chart....

construcdebris.jpg

....slightly less than 25% of generated construction and demolition debris ends up in the landfill.

That makes me feel a little better and I hope it does you too. 

https://www.epa.gov/facts-and-figures-about-materials-waste-and-recycling/construction-and-demolition-debris-material

I agree with that as it relates specifically about roadway construction projects (which has an insane degree of recycling, asphalt, reinforcing steel, guardrail, and signing, etc.) as well as larger building demo projects.  My concern is related to residential demolition and interior space demolition.  I never seem to see the construction debris get sorted on site like I see on the other types of projects.  Perhaps it does get sorted at a transfer facility, but I've always thought if it didn't get sorted on site, it ended up in a landfill.

6 hours ago, codypet said:

does get sorted at a transfer facility, but I've always thought if it didn't get sorted on site, it ended up in a landfill.

The residential construction burial site is out past Hamlin and out past the hidden water treatment facility. Wasn't jack out there, now the hidden facility and pile-o-drywall is smack in the middle sprawlcity USA. 

GS has an article that says the new OMA will include a rooftop Chihuly Garden- the only one of its kind.

The project will be funded through a gift from Mr. Ginsburg of Winter Park.  "Ginsburg, a real estate developer, has also pledged $4 million for the construction of the city’s new Holocaust Center in the downtown cultural district through his Ginsburg Family Foundation."

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-oma-summa-chihuly-20210915-3mdovg3gzrhvlmdjlyxg3rmrcy-story.html

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Scott J stops in at The Stubborn Mule on the ground floor of The Sanctuary:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/51-american/5785-the-stubborn-mule

What’s most interesting is he noted his last visit was five years ago. That must be a new record for longevity among the eateries over there. Perhaps with construction winding down for a bit, things will stabilize and they’ll plant some trees to replace the forested areas they demolished.