Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

On 4/3/2022 at 8:16 PM, spenser1058 said:

you’ve been holding out on me

we've seen the building's renovations inside and out for a while now and so glad to see it kept senior housing, but the ribbon cutting was not on our radar. tbh we have been so busy working on a couple of grants, and we're so close to finishing up our mayors matching grant project we can taste it.. but mix in volunteering at events in the neighborhood like paws in the park and it's no surprise we've fallen behind on some neighborhood news.

idk anything on the horizon at the moment other than we've met the new group a few times now that are opening the "eola lounge" coming soon to south eola drive/ eola square, so that's exciting : )

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dwSouthEola said:

we've seen the building's renovations inside and out for a while now and so glad to see it kept senior housing, but the ribbon cutting was not on our radar. tbh we have been so busy working on a couple of grants, and we're so close to finishing up our mayors matching grant project we can taste it.. but mix in volunteering at events in the neighborhood like paws in the park and it's no surprise we've fallen behind on some neighborhood news.

idk anything on the horizon at the moment other than we've met the new group a few times now that are opening the "eola lounge" coming soon to south eola drive/ eola square, so that's exciting : )

I've seen that mentioned and the chef tied to it is chef Tiger. Do you happen to know if that is Tiger Tang of taste of Chengdu? If so, that would rock.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Do you happen to know if that is Tiger Tang of taste of Chengdu?

i've met four or five people involved but not their chef - although i did see chef tiger was mentioned in a community paper article.

we had included eola lounge in our community paper 'monthly update' for the april edition bc they told us they planned on opening late march/early april. now it's looking like a soft opening around the end of the month <-- that's what an incredibly nice woman named melanie (sp) said when i was there tuesday : )

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, dwSouthEola said:

i've met four or five people involved but not their chef - although i did see chef tiger was mentioned in a community paper article.

we had included eola lounge in our community paper 'monthly update' for the april edition bc they told us they planned on opening late march/early april. now it's looking like a soft opening around the end of the month <-- that's what an incredibly nice woman named melanie (sp) said when i was there tuesday : )

Thanks. I'll ask around, but if you hear anything, please let us know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 5:07 PM, AmIReal said:

Do you happen to know if that is Tiger Tang of taste of Chengdu?

It is not. Met their chef Tiger tonight, he worked at another restaurant with the group that is opening Eola Lounge. They said he cooks authentic southeast asian cuisine, and the other chef cooks authentic french cuisine, so the previous description of the menu being a 'fusion' isn't accurate.

They were painting the awning, and it looked like some food testing going on inside. Excited to see them open in the next week or so : )

20220428_174102.jpg

Edited by dwSouthEola
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, dwSouthEola said:

It is not. Met their chef Tiger tonight, he worked at another restaurant with the group that is opening Eola Lounge. They said he cooks authentic southeast asian cuisine, and the other chef cooks authentic french cuisine, so the previous description of the menu being a 'fusion' isn't accurate.

Thank you for that info. I look forward to trying it.

Remember Eola Place, the 1+-acre condo at 550 Mariposa St. Well, it's no longer in the works. But, "the plan now is to build rental apartments with ground-floor retail utilizing the same entitlements that were already approved in the previous planned development."

"223 residential units, a parking garage that can accommodate 425 vehicles and close to 20,000 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor. That includes a 2,362-square-foot space at the corner of South Osceola and Mariposa streets that would qualify as “Active Commercial.”

Interesting that they are proposing larger units, while every other developer is building smaller units. 30% of their mix includes a den, genrally considered a "can't have" in urban condo developments. "The unit breakdown is 63 one-bedroom, 27 one-bedroom w/den, 53 two-bedroom, 42 two-bedroom w/den, and 38 three-bedroom units.

per GS- https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-lexin-mariposa-20220429-npcwm7t3obc2nkuq6qd3cy666u-story.html

• Like 4

Actually...there are some trucks on the property today that I haven't seen there before. They aren't just parked there, they look to be either surveying or working on something. One has a plastic tank on it. I guess it could be for the Jackson, but curious timing. 

• Like 1

2020/2021 this land had a chain link fence and a 'For Sale' sign that included "with approved plans". Of the approved plans the city said - That parcel is second phase of the 520 E Church project, which has been previously approved.  We've attached a staff report for that project so you can see what has been previously approved.

They sent us a 27page report basically showing this would've been a continuation of the Camden Lake Eola building. Everyone seems to agree 520 Church is a more pleasing design than 420, but I still have to say that this new project/design is much much better. I just wish they'd be condos and get more 'pride of ownership' in the neighborhood. The pictures of blood on the elevator/lobby floor at the 520 posted last night on Nextdoor are disturbing. The fact there was also a shooting in the parking garage and blood all over, again disturbing. I would argue that wouldn't happen if people owned these units (even if they were then rented) because there'd be several layers of responsibility: Owner, HOA board, property mgmt, etc. versus a  rental office that seemingly so far at 520 would rather sweep it all under the rug more than anything else - but I could be wrong.

46 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Actually...there are some trucks on the property today

If you ever feel like sharing pics in our neighborhood FB group it'd be interesting to see what's going on out there : )  https://www.facebook.com/groups/SouthEola

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bqknight said:

Actually...there are some trucks on the property today that I haven't seen there before. They aren't just parked there, they look to be either surveying or working on something. One has a plastic tank on it. I guess it could be for the Jackson, but curious timing. 

Geotechnical if it's a got a giant tank on it.

• Like 1

“Second verse, same as the first…”

Great Harvest Bakery and Cafe is baaaack, in the same location, no less. New owners, though.

I guess COVID has settled down some so maybe this time will be different. It’s still gonna be hard to compete with oh-so-affordable Pub Subs just down the street. Maybe the cool kids will keep them afloat.

https://bungalower.com/2022/05/16/great-harvest-bakery-is-coming-back-to-south-eola/

From Bungalower 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 7:56 PM, AmIReal said:

Update, per OBJ- "best-case scenario for construction and delivery would be to break ground in roughly one year's time and to deliver around summer 2025."

Also,  new rendering.

mariposa-tower-rendering.png

This project would come close to finishing out that quadrant from what was originally planned where Buddy & Co. did that "groundbreaking" ceremony so many years back and then nothing happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Well they're done.  Sodded and put signage for the rules of Lake Eola Park.

I'm real tempted to hire an artist to paint a 7-11 on that wall.

20220528_122519.jpg

Just put up a historic marker directing folks to the Historic Once Upon A Time Cruisy 7-Eleven on Summerlin! I’ll fight for that one!

*passes @codypet a Mtn Dew Big Gulp*

Edited by spenser1058

I’m interested in all the angst over this when it’s been less than six months on a relatively small piece of property.

Where is all the concern for leaving an empty lot (with a broken down fence and not even grass) for the supposed Magic Entertainment Complex? That one led to the demolition of the Municipal Justice Building, infinitely more significant than the unimportant building at Rosalind and Central. It also led to the demolition of a perfectly serviceable parking garage even as UP members complain about a lack of downtown parking. How many years has that been now?

How about the demolition of the historic Orlando Sentinel newsroom including a valuable “newsboy” mural that no one was even given a chance to save? How long’s that one gonna be an empty lot?

Finally, how long has the lot at Orange and Pine been empty? Why no angst over that one? After all, it’s right in the middle of the block between whichever intersection you consider Main and Main?

We won’t even get into all the empty asphalt lots on the east side of Garland that have been eyesores for decades. Or the demolition of Tinker Field, significant to African-Americans and progressives at the only place MLK Jr spoke in Orlando.

The only one that seems to be a problem was the one that has widespread community support as we work to expand downtown’s green space.

There’s some sort of agenda here that is  a bit baffling to me.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, codypet said:

Well they're done.  Sodded and put signage for the rules of Lake Eola Park.

I'm real tempted to hire an artist to paint a 7-11 on that wall.

20220528_122519.jpg

THIS is what happens when you let people with zero design experience make important city planning decisions.

It was sickening to watch a select few pat themselves on the back and celebrate disfiguring the entrance to our "crown jewel". OLT deceived the public and fed the media a one-way narrative with idealized renderings, meanwhile there was no public forum given for the rest of us to voice our concerns/dissent despite the City using CRA funds to heavily subsidize OLT's pet project. Even community gardens require some sort of planning board approval, but I don't recall any sort of ARB/MPB hearing for this. Why the rush to tear down the 7-eleven building when they have not assembled the remaining parcels? All parties involved should be embarrassed for behaving like hormonal youngsters rushing off to elope rather than joining families to attend the wedding.

Let me guess... they didn't pressure wash or paint City Centre wall because they didn't bother to (or couldn't) obtain permission prior to opening the park. The black tarp privacy fence is really a nice touch. *chef's kiss* Even if the City were to do the absolute minimum, adding a few trees and throwing in a park bench does not make a park. Think about it, established cities like NYC would never unveil public park space looking like this. This city has no class.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1