Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

20 hours ago, codypet said:

Well they're done.  Sodded and put signage for the rules of Lake Eola Park.

I'm real tempted to hire an artist to paint a 7-11 on that wall.

20220528_122519.jpg

Well someone better hire someone to paint something on that wall, because it's ugly as all hell. I love that they put up a sign for a park you can't even GET to from there. It's like added insult to injury. The inmates are running the asylum.

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m interested in all the angst over this when it’s been less than six months on a relatively small piece of property.

Where is all the concern for leaving an empty lot (with a broken down fence and not even grass) for the supposed Magic Entertainment Complex? That one led to the demolition of the Municipal Justice Building, infinitely more significant than the unimportant building at Rosalind and Central. It also led to the demolition of a perfectly serviceable parking garage even as UP members complain about a lack of downtown parking. How many years has that been now?

How about the demolition of the historic Orlando Sentinel newsroom including a valuable “newsboy” mural that no one was even given a chance to save? How long’s that one gonna be an empty lot?

Finally, how long has the lot at Orange and Pine been empty? Why no angst over that one? After all, it’s right in the middle of the block between whichever intersection you consider Main and Main?

We won’t even get into all the empty asphalt lots on the east side of Garland that have been eyesores for decades. Or the demolition of Tinker Field, significant to African-Americans and progressives at the only place MLK Jr spoke in Orlando.

The only one that seems to be a problem was the one that has widespread community support as we work to expand downtown’s green space.

There’s some sort of agenda here that is  a bit baffling to me.

Pretty sure many of us have complained about those things. You can be unhappy with more than one thing at a time, you know. What else do you expect us to do? We aren't decision-makers, just pundits on a message board. Speaking of which, where are you seeing "widespread community support" for this whole fiasco? Because I'm certainly not. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, F-L-A said:

Well someone better hire someone to paint something on that wall, because it's ugly as all hell. I love that they put up a sign for a park you can't even GET to from there. It's like added insult to injury. The inmates are running the asylum.

I heard today that they're going to do some more there in the coming months.

16 hours ago, F-L-A said:

Pretty sure many of us have complained about those things. You can be unhappy with more than one thing at a time, you know. What else do you expect us to do? We aren't decision-makers, just pundits on a message board. Speaking of which, where are you seeing "widespread community support" for this whole fiasco? Because I'm certainly not. 

All most people know is what they hear on the local cheerleading hour.... excuse me, local "news".

They hear more green/park space and that = YAY!!!!! :yahoo:

But as for spenser1058, he often seems to have an oddly skewed take on these things. 

Someone always has to be at fault or to blame for something.

But then again, he's not alone in that regard, as it seems to be a popular social trend these days. 

Edited by JFW657

On 5/29/2022 at 11:44 AM, spenser1058 said:

I’m interested in all the angst over this when it’s been less than six months on a relatively small piece of property.

Where is all the concern for leaving an empty lot (with a broken down fence and not even grass) for the supposed Magic Entertainment Complex? That one led to the demolition of the Municipal Justice Building, infinitely more significant than the unimportant building at Rosalind and Central. It also led to the demolition of a perfectly serviceable parking garage even as UP members complain about a lack of downtown parking. How many years has that been now?

How about the demolition of the historic Orlando Sentinel newsroom including a valuable “newsboy” mural that no one was even given a chance to save? How long’s that one gonna be an empty lot?

Finally, how long has the lot at Orange and Pine been empty? Why no angst over that one? After all, it’s right in the middle of the block between whichever intersection you consider Main and Main?

We won’t even get into all the empty asphalt lots on the east side of Garland that have been eyesores for decades. Or the demolition of Tinker Field, significant to African-Americans and progressives at the only place MLK Jr spoke in Orlando.

The only one that seems to be a problem was the one that has widespread community support as we work to expand downtown’s green space.

I've whined and sent letters re: Magic Entertainment Complex.  At the very least connect Pine to Division dammit!

Orange and Pine has been vacant since I've been here, so not really anything for me to say.

Empty lots on Garland next to a highway isn't really that strange.  It's normal in most mid-major cities... which we are.  Over time they will get built up or there won't be a market to build them up.  It's a slow process.

There were lots of complaints about Tinker.

On 5/29/2022 at 11:44 AM, spenser1058 said:

all good points.

your talk of "some sort of agenda here" is beginning to worry me...I may be rubbing off on you a bit too much... LOL.

Orange & Pine to me should've been a no brainer granting of a variance (the parking requirement, right?) to get that lot developed.  Maybe it was too cost prohibitive because of it's small size...which goes back to the historic preservation argument- when the economics of renovating is more cost effective than building new.

The MEC demo of old OPD irritates me.  What irritates me more is seeing the old photos of the Courthouse Annex at the History Center, and seeing it's design (which was partly emulated by the Bloomie's Bldg. at Millennia believe it or not.

Anywho, the Pine & Orange lot may be too expensive to build on now unless they go vertical with one of those inverted designs where the floorplates increase in size as they ascend.  But that would take money and imagination...

6 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Anywho, the Pine & Orange lot may be too expensive to build on now unless they go vertical with one of those inverted designs where the floorplates increase in size as they ascend.  But that would take money and imagination...

I suppose if they can do it on this scale....

rainier-tower-3%25255B2%25255D.jpg?imgma

Screenshot-20220601-192946-2.jpg

They could do it on a much smaller scale (like everything else) in DTO

And that building is in an earthquake prone area. 

Edited by JFW657
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I suppose if they can do it on this scale....

rainier-tower-3%25255B2%25255D.jpg?imgma

Screenshot-20220601-192946-2.jpg

They could do it on a much smaller scale (like everything else) in DTO

And that building is in an earthquake prone area. 

LMFAO.  Yes, scaling down is  an Orlando art form. 

Man, that building is crazy.  I feel like there's like a portal to another dimension at it's base; Eye of Horus type of stuff; Hadron Collider which keeps it steady as it opens the rift.

16 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

spacer.png

yup

On 5/29/2022 at 4:44 PM, nite owℓ said:

THIS is what happens when you let people with zero design experience make important city planning decisions.

It was sickening to watch a select few pat themselves on the back and celebrate disfiguring the entrance to our "crown jewel". OLT deceived the public and fed the media a one-way narrative with idealized renderings, meanwhile there was no public forum given for the rest of us to voice our concerns/dissent despite the City using CRA funds to heavily subsidize OLT's pet project. Even community gardens require some sort of planning board approval, but I don't recall any sort of ARB/MPB hearing for this. Why the rush to tear down the 7-eleven building when they have not assembled the remaining parcels? All parties involved should be embarrassed for behaving like hormonal youngsters rushing off to elope rather than joining families to attend the wedding.

Let me guess... they didn't pressure wash or paint City Centre wall because they didn't bother to (or couldn't) obtain permission prior to opening the park. The black tarp privacy fence is really a nice touch. *chef's kiss* Even if the City were to do the absolute minimum, adding a few trees and throwing in a park bench does not make a park. Think about it, established cities like NYC would never unveil public park space looking like this. This city has no class.

What was done was done by the city so I suggest you take it up with the man with all the class. If you’ve noticed his wardrobe lately, I suggest they’re of a piece. I will say this, though - it’s as least as nice a job as was done for the Magic Entertainment Complex site. How long has that site looked like that now after the city handed it over with virtually no due diligence? 

Again, what’s the hidden agenda here? There are spots like this all over downtown that you seem to not give a peep about that have lay fallow for years. OLT has had almost no time to proceed compared to the others but you’re all over them. 

It might be worth mentioning that Cameron Kuhn’s redo on the Masonic Lodge was no prize in the first place. It was done with precious little concern for street prssence or anything else. There’s a reason it’s been empty most of the last several years. Compare it with the ideas for the former WP Lodge which are inviting and welcoming to the street. Yet more crocodile tears? Hmmm…

https://www.thedailycity.com/post/z-properties-renovation-lodge

From The Daily City

Edited by spenser1058

On 6/2/2022 at 3:10 PM, spenser1058 said:

What was done was done by the city so I suggest you take it up with the man with all the class. If you’ve noticed his wardrobe lately, I suggest they’re of a piece. I will say this, though - it’s as least as nice a job as was done for the Magic Entertainment Complex site. How long has that site looked like that now after the city handed it over with virtually no due diligence? 

Again, what’s the hidden agenda here? There are spots like this all over downtown that you seem to not give a peep about that have lay fallow for years. OLT has had almost no time to proceed compared to the others but you’re all over them. 

It might be worth mentioning that Cameron Kuhn’s redo on the Masonic Lodge was no prize in the first place. It was done with precious little concern for street prssence or anything else. There’s a reason it’s been empty most of the last several years. Compare it with the ideas for the former WP Lodge which are inviting and welcoming to the street. Yet more crocodile tears? Hmmm…

https://www.thedailycity.com/post/z-properties-renovation-lodge

From The Daily City

Agenda...? What are you going on about now??

The whole lot of them are guilty of disfiguring downtown's crown jewel. Stop defending poor, incompetent planning. That's a lie if you think I haven't spoken up about the undeveloped vacant lots scattered throughout downtown sitting idle for years because that's the exact reason why I didn't want to bring another blighted lot to Lake Eola's doorstep. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend? It wouldn't hurt for the City to carefully plan for the long-term. They should've left the 7-eleven building standing (clean it up and keep it fully leased to garner additional funds) until they can acquire the masonic lodge to unveil a park similar to the idealized rendering they fed to the media.

Downtown Orlando isn't a top tier city rolling in dough so I wonder how long we're going to be stuck with this eyesore. What was once a semi-active pedestrian corner is now an ugly barren wasteland, they might as well install a dog park to liven up the corner until the full expansion can be implemented (if ever). Everything takes forever and a day to accomplish in this city so I'm not holding out any hope for a quick turnaround... we have several examples to go off of.

The city gifted OLT $1.625 million of CRA funds, that's not what I would call successful private fundraising otherwise OLT would NEVER have been able to purchase the property. Downtown residents in the redevelopment district who contribute property tax dollars to the CRA should have been allowed to provide input on the park expansion roll-out. The whole point of the CRA is to stamp out blighted areas--not create more of them!

The park unveiling is trash plain and simple.

• Like 1

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think they're finished with it yet.

I hear tell there are plans afoot for some additional work there.

What that might be, I don't know.

But I kinda doubt they'll just leave it like it is.

I agree that they should have left the building there, though.

Woulda been a good spot for a little restaurant or something. 

14 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think they're finished with it yet.

I hear tell there are plans afoot for some additional work there.

What that might be, I don't know.

But I kinda doubt they'll just leave it like it is.

I agree that they should have left the building there, though.

Woulda been a good spot for a little restaurant or something. 

OMG, I never said they would leave it as-is. My question is, what kind of city opens new park space to the public looking like that??

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

OMG, I never said they would leave it as-is. My question is, what kind of city opens new park space to the public looking like that??

Well, based on certain portions of your above response, it sounded to me like you are under the impression that it is going to be left the way it is indefinitely....

58 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

The whole lot of them are guilty of disfiguring downtown's crown jewel. 

I didn't want to bring another blighted lot to Lake Eola's doorstep.

I wonder how long we're going to be stuck with this eyesore. What was once a semi-active pedestrian corner is now an ugly barren wasteland, they might as well install a dog park to liven up the corner until the full expansion can be implemented (if ever). Everything takes forever and a day to accomplish in this city so I'm not holding out any hope for a quick turnaround... we have several examples to go off of.

The whole point of the CRA is to stamp out blighted areas--not create more of them!

I was simply pointing out to you that I heard plans are in the works to spruce it up a bit within the next few weeks or couple of months or so.

No guarantee of that, of course.   

1 hour ago, jgardnerucf said:

As a native downtown orlanadoan, I cringe to say this, but Indianapolis' swan boats and canal walk is quite remarkable.      Matter of fact, epic.  :::puts sunglasses back on, hangs head in defeat and mutters wow:::

I hear San Antonio has a nice downtown river walk type thingy.

I suppose those can rightfully be classified as natural, geographical and topological advantages which those cities have over Orlando, where we just have to make do with our small lake.

I suppose we should just consider ourselves lucky to even have that.  

The Master Plan for the updated 550 Mariposa (520 E Church Phase 2) has been posted online. Public Hearing June 21, sign is out there too now. 

https://www.orlando.gov/files/sharedassets/public/departments/edv/city-planning/development-applications/mpb/2022/june/mpl22-10035-thornton-commons-ph.-2/master-plan-550-mariposa.pdf

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bqknight said:

The Master Plan for the updated 550 Mariposa (520 E Church Phase 2) has been posted online. Public Hearing June 21, sign is out there too now. 

https://www.orlando.gov/files/sharedassets/public/departments/edv/city-planning/development-applications/mpb/2022/june/mpl22-10035-thornton-commons-ph.-2/master-plan-550-mariposa.pdf

Not bad....

Screenshot-20220609-135039.jpg

Better looking than the other shoeboxes that have gone up around there.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 11:35 PM, codypet said:

20220528_122519.jpg

I managed to run across a depiction of the mural they've got planned along with the visitor traffic they anticipate.....

220610-225746.png

Gonna be nice!!!!  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

ARB Agenda for the new "park" at Central & Rosalind: https://orlando.novusagenda.com/AgendaPublic/AttachmentViewer.ashx?AttachmentID=116099&ItemID=60123 

"It is assumed that the west wall of the adjacent building to the east at 205 East Central Boulevard has not changed since 1958 and the condition is unknown. The demolition of the subject property building will reveal the material and condition of the wall. Work may need to be done to ensure that the newly exposed wall will form an attractive backdrop to the new park. If permissions are not granted by the adjacent property owner then other treatments located on the park site may be necessary."

It's not like they didn't have months-years to plan for this so that everything could be completed by the time the park opened.:rolleyes:

Park.thumb.jpg.9874dd28c1ea04539ec66d03e209c597.jpg

Just a reminder of what an eyesore (and dead zone) this been for the past 2 months:

On 5/28/2022 at 11:35 PM, codypet said:

20220528_122519.jpg

• Like 1

How long has the MEC lot been empty now? How about the site of the Orlando Sentinel newsroom? Maybe someone should have thought about how ugly those would be over YEARS (in the case of the MEC, early 2021 w/the Sentinel) before they tore those down. Someone seems to have an agenda only focusing on Eola, I wonder what that is?)

We can all agree that in Buddy’s Orlando there is no vision as to how things should be.

1 minute ago, codypet said:

Time for that adjacent building to restore their windows.:tw_tounge_wink:

@spenser1058, any insight on the 1980s work on the building?  I believe they added 2 stories and either then - or under Kuhn - converted some of the building to parking.   Here are a couple of historic images. 

image.thumb.png.21e542f73d15fe7061dc9fb6c39c457e.png

image.thumb.png.95e52225721362122413b2448dcb4f81.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, smileguy said:

@spenser1058, any insight on the 1980s work on the building?  I believe they added 2 stories and either then - or under Kuhn - converted some of the building to parking.   Here are a couple of historic images. 

image.thumb.png.21e542f73d15fe7061dc9fb6c39c457e.png

image.thumb.png.95e52225721362122413b2448dcb4f81.png

We’re talking a long time, of course, but I remember it being a lot more ped-friendly when I walked past as a kid. When Cameron announced the redo, I was excited about it, but as it got going my sense was he did it on the cheap.

Walking by it now, it’s nothing more than a blank space to get by. As I noted in a previous post, it’s sad how open and interesting the reno proposed for the WP lodge was compared to what we got.

None of this should have been a surprise given Cameron was constantly operating on a wing and a prayer.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

How long has the MEC lot been empty now? How about the site of the Orlando Sentinel newsroom? Maybe someone should have thought about how ugly those would be over YEARS (in the case of the MEC, early 2021 w/the Sentinel) before they tore those down. Someone seems to have an agenda only focusing on Eola, I wonder what that is?)

We can all agree that in Buddy’s Orlando there is no vision as to how things should be.

Last time I checked, those are privately owned properties and those lots are not considered public park space. Apples to oranges. Excuse me for being protective of our crown jewel and not wanting to spread the blight onto Lake Eola's doorstep. If I had my way, I think the City should fine MEC for kicking out businesses that were drawing pedestrian activity and failing to redevelop the lot as promised. And the Sentinel site looked ugly long before the newsroom got demolished and I cannot wait for it all to get redeveloped.

There you go with the agenda crap again... Apparently I have an agenda that I myself am oblivious about, so please be a godsend and fill me in on what I'm supposedly conspiring about. Be forthright and say what you mean. You love to insinuate that I have agendas whenever I speak about Patty or this disaster of a park. I won't wait for a reply because you love to throw stones and disappear without bothering to back up your cuckoo conspiracies lol.

• Like 2