Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 3:32 PM, smileguy said:

Looks like Thornton Park Central is getting a paint job...  is white better than blue?  If it stays white, I'm not sure I will recognize the building. The colors were dated, but really gave it an identity. 

My girlfriend called me blind when I said it was white... she stated it is "soft gray". The highlights are a darker gray and both grays have a slight green tone... or so I was told.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

My girlfriend called me blind when I said it was white... she stated it is "soft gray". The highlights are a darker gray and both grays have a slight green tone... or so I was told.

She's right though.  I drove by it this morning.  I would have to agree with her.  The Accents are green for sure though.

I'm a guy who basically has man colors.

I'm not some Neanderthal who is an 8 color Crayola Box, but I'm not a 120 color Crayola Giant Box guy either.  I'm not even a 96 or 64 color Crayola Box guy because that's still just beyond me.  I'm probably a 16 color Crayola Box who flirts with being a 24 color Crayola Box.

So, it's basically white.

50 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

There have been water skiing events before but this is the first with sailboats, I think.

I still think water taxis should run from the bandshell to the flags on the other side. One day...

Please, no. I don't like the idea of encroaching into wildlife habitat even more than we already do. We force the swans & ducks to stay put and deal with the stress of fireworks, pedestrians, pets, bikes, random acts of abuse, etc. (although I have seen them either get dangerously close to or try to cross Rosalind) so I don't think we should be adding more traffic to their only space of sanctuary at the park. Either we give the birds the lake or we relocate them elsewhere to make way for ferry rides.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Please, no. I don't like the idea of encroaching into wildlife habitat even more than we already do. We force the swans & ducks to stay put and deal with the stress of fireworks, pedestrians, pets, bikes, random acts of abuse, etc. (although I have seen them either get dangerously close to or try to cross Rosalind) so I don't think we should be adding more traffic to their only space of sanctuary at the park. Either we give the birds the lake or we relocate them elsewhere to make way for ferry rides.

Given all the cases of swan trauma at Eola, I confess I have long wondered if having them there is appropriate.

5 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

"Swan abuse?" 

Really? 

I mean I hope nobody molests the native foul, but they have freaking wings! 

They could easily depart if that was their choice. 

The "outrage" culture amazes me at times. 

Actually, no they can’t. They clip their wings.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-lake-eola-swans-annual-exam-20181119-story.html?outputType=amp

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

"Swan abuse?" 

Really? 

I mean I hope nobody molests the native foul, but they have phucking wings! 

Clipped wings = they can't just fly away. Swan parents are pretty protective and they do not flee if they sense their young is in danger.

Both swans and cygnets have been stolen in the past. In the news: a guy "practiced" karate kicks on a swan; someone encouraged their dog to maul a swan. Someone on NextDoor reported seeing someone kick a swan out of the way while riding a Lime bike around Lake Eola. Not to mention all the people & pets who get too close or parents who encourage their kids to treat the swans like they're at a petting zoo -- it's a constant barrage of interactions for the wildlife.

Far from outrage, it's about respecting the last place the birds can get away from unwanted interactions; added boat traffic on the lake is kind of unnecessary IMO.

Edited by nite owℓ

The swans were reintroduced by Mayor Bill in the 1980’s as one of his design touches for downtown.

Not unlike orcas at Sea World and elephants at Barnum and Bailey, something that seemed innocuous at the time is now viewed as cruel. It really does need to be revisited (we won’t even address how unsanitary the concentration of bird poop is both in the water and along the sidewalks).

23 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

"Swan abuse?" 

Really? 

I mean I hope nobody molests the native foul, but they have freaking wings! 

Your response is out of line. The City of Orlando has spent a lot of time and effort to make the lake a sanctuary for these birds. This is their home. 

You've got car right? how about you just leave your house and don't come back.

1 hour ago, Jvest55 said:

Your response is out of line. The City of Orlando has spent a lot of time and effort to make the lake a sanctuary for these birds. This is their home. 

You've got car right? how about you just leave your house and don't come back.

I don't have a house, and am a transplant to Orlando as well, but thanks for the welcome. 

I could walk anywhere I choose to without a car or a home. 

I lack the basic freedom I perceived these birds have, but still possess free will.  While we all may be dealt circumstances that were not necessarily expected upon our journey, that does not mean we cannot choose to seek better conditions if we think it is prudent. 

You really think that anybody does not have similar struggles to deal with? We all have similar struggles. I was forced out of my home and made to move to a foreign city on 3 months notice because of "the economy" 8 years ago, and I don't see anybody crying for my plight. The only reason I live here is because somebody forcefully made me instantaneously relocate for their own financial benefit and my own detriment.  I don't fudgeing have a home anymore and I am trying to adapt to my circumstances and live a life that is real and speak the truth.

You all think that real people haven't dealt with the pain of transplantation and removal from their family and homeland before? 

What a bunch of coddled fools. EVERYBODY has their own struggles to deal with. EVERYBODY.  Deal with them as you can.

Help others as you can. 

I will reiterate: The "outrage" culture amazes me at times.

So go be outraged somewhere else. 

I don't care. 

Edited by dcluley98

Dude, I'm sorry to hear about your present situation and whatever else may have triggered you to respond like that. As you said, you have the capability to move (albeit under difficult circumstances), but the topic of the birds being confined to a stressful environment with an increasing amount of intrusion is not the same thing. I've lived through extremely sh.tty occurrences in life, but that does not mean that I can't put things into context and speak up for animals without a voice even if their plight seems irrelevant. I stated my own truth and you insinuated it was "outrage" culture despite me providing a few examples of what the wildlife goes through at the park -- and that's just what actually makes it to the news.

• Like 1

Usually, I try to stay pretty positive.

Life is hard, and sometimes the experience is not transferable. 

Empathy would be a better approach than lecture, mockery, or authoritarian indoctrination, usually. 

Because it is hard for each of us does not mean that we should make it hard or expect it to be hard for others. 

But it will be. 

So we should strive for balance and tolerance of our collective condition and understand the perspective of others, may they be oppressed, or made out to be or seen to be the oppressor.

The world is not as it seems, but is as each of us perceives.  

Edited by dcluley98
  • Thanks 1

One time I was minding my own business wrapping up a phone call with an old friend before walking into WoB, and a swan walked right up to me and bit my uhhh... well, let's just say swans come up to about my waist.  I like yelled, and started walking away with this swan chasing me.  It was persistent and I eventually had to start jogging to keep away from it while a mass of people looked at me like I was crazy.  I'm like THERES GREEN GOO ON MY SHORTS FROM WHERE THAT SWAN JUST BIT MY

They can't be trusted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

One time I was minding my own business wrapping up a phone call with an old friend before walking into WoB, and a swan walked right up to me and bit my uhhh... well, let's just say swans come up to about my waist.  I like yelled, and started walking away with this swan chasing me.  It was persistent and I eventually had to start jogging to keep away from it while a mass of people looked at me like I was crazy.  I'm like THERES GREEN GOO ON MY SHORTS FROM WHERE THAT SWAN JUST BIT MY

They can't be trusted.

So you willingly admit you were in the area of said incidence and that portions of your person did come into contact with the protected species...

Just kidding- sounds harrowing. The geese can be just as aggressive, btw.