Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

1 minute ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Guy who is bringing Captain D's and Choice Hotels to town and owns a bunch of covenience stores is behind it.

Oh boy, I love me some Captain D’s. Can that fill in the Panera space at EO?

(Back when Shoney’s/Danner Foods owned Captain D’s, I was a shopper for the chain and sometimes ate there three times a day. Yep, seafood rocks!)

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Oh boy, I love me some Captain D’s. Can that fill in the Panera space at EO?

(Back when Shoney’s/Danner Foods owned Captain D’s, I was a shopper for the chain and sometimes ate there three times a day. Yep, seafood rocks!)

Same here!!!

I'd love to see one open up somewhere in the SODO/Hourglass/Conway area.

EO would be close, but parking would suck.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Same here!!!

I'd love to see one open up somewhere in the SODO/Hourglass/Conway area.

EO would be close, but parking would suck.

There used to be one on 436 near Curry Ford but I think it died.

My parents used to live off Good Homes Rd so we went to the Pine Hills one a lot.

My parents used to live off Good Homes Rd so we went to the Pine Hills one a lot.

Yes, I ate at that one a few times. I think it was just north of CFR, next to or near McD's. I think there was also one over on Aloma that I went to a couple of times. I first began eating at CD's over on Merritt Island, probably around 1979 or so. Always got their Giant Fish Sandwich. Good stuff!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

image.thumb.png.4dcb7ab03ba0301aef8583999fa1b1a2.png

I thought it was here.  Just south of CF next to the former Wendy's.  Wendy's is an Eye place and the seafood place is soon to be Pio Pio

1 minute ago, codypet said:

image.thumb.png.4dcb7ab03ba0301aef8583999fa1b1a2.png

I thought it was here.  Just south of CF next to the former Wendy's.  Wendy's is an Eye place and the seafood place is soon to be Pio Pio

I think that was the Long John Silver’s - the “other” fish guys. LJS spun off from Jerry’s in KY while D’s spun off from Shoney’s in TN.

9 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Never had Captain D's but I love LJS. Is it better?

I prefer it because of their “country-style” fish dusted in corn meal instead of batter (it’s lighter). D’s sweet tea is also awesome as are their hush puppies.

I do like LJS’ cole slaw better than D’s (D’s has green peppers which just don’t belong in slaw imho).

Don’t know if this is still the case since they’ve been sold but D’s customer service used to be more like Chick-Fil-A’s and LJS’was typical YUM Foods (which is to say, meh).

Edited by spenser1058

56 minutes ago, idroveazamboni said:

I’m not local,  does anyone have pictures of the street behind Central where Citi, 420 and 520 are? These three apartments plus Modera added @1230+ units. 1230 *1.5 people per unit @1845 new people. Area is getting dense curious if it translates to more street activity.  

Thanks 

There is definitely more street activity in South Eola these days, thanks to all the apts but also ground floor shops at 420 and coming along to Citi.

I’m keenly aware of it because I have to be much more careful driving through about pedestrians these days than I ever used to be. A couple of the eateries on South Eola Drive also pick up business for happy hour and weekends (the esoteric ones at Sanctuary, less so).

I get the impression it’s less visitors than traffic created by the new apartment dwellers, but it’s a decided change from just a few years ago.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I’m not local these days and when I was in town last month I noticed the increase in street activity in south Eola. By comparison,  Thornton Park seemed a bit sleepier than normal.

Thornton Park, I think, has been affected by the miserable weather this summer (because of all the outdoor seating) as well as the usual lull until football season (as mentioned in another thread, Floridians just aren’t big on MLB...). We may also be seeing some slippage due to the popularity of the Mule in South Eola and some new options over in the Milk District. (WoB seems to be doing fine.)

Another factor may be the lack of changes in TP, other than GJ’s new Mexican outpost. 

While I’m a total creature of habit (I’m perfectly content wandering between Maxine’s, Dexter’s and the Harp on a regular basis, but I’m old and set in my ways...), the young whippersnappers like the new and exciting.

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 3:32 PM, smileguy said:

Looks like Thornton Park Central is getting a paint job...  is white better than blue?  If it stays white, I'm not sure I will recognize the building. The colors were dated, but really gave it an identity.

I prefer the old color scheme -- not because I liked the colors, but because the colors complimented the area's quaintness by pulling the various tones from the brick road for a more cohesive look. Now the building just seems so out of place.

490680478_TPCBefore.thumb.jpg.d99349881a8ad174cb9988e7bc78bfb3.jpg109658529_TPCAfter.thumb.jpg.3059d2cc24997b073a2b0a4f7fa7826b.jpg

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

I prefer the old color scheme -- not because I liked the colors, but because the colors complimented the area's quaintness by pulling the various tones from the brick road for a more cohesive look. Now the building just seems so out of place.

490680478_TPCBefore.thumb.jpg.d99349881a8ad174cb9988e7bc78bfb3.jpg109658529_TPCAfter.thumb.jpg.3059d2cc24997b073a2b0a4f7fa7826b.jpg

I much prefer the new. The reds are horrible. Can’t wait for the waverly to get rid of their red accents whenever that may be. 

The new colors are much closer to what was dubbed “The Orlando Palette” at a charrette by a group of local architects some years  back.

Interesting. If you have a link I'd like to see what The Orlando Palette looks like. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.:dontknow:

6 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Interesting. If you have a link I'd like to see what The Orlando Palette looks like. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.:dontknow:

If it’s ever been archived online, I can’t find it either. When I was working for the FL Senate, we got sent lots of stuff like this and I think the Sentinel did talk about it in some articles about downtown development. 

it very likely was during Mayor Bill’s reign because he was very interested in such details so it may indeed be long forgotten. In short, it was more about pastels than primary colors in keeping with the subtropical climate and the idea of a welcoming downtown. Very subjective, of course, because it would have been OK with a white base, which, as we know, causes JFW to hurl. Oh well.

Except for the rest of the brown/red accents still there like the awning, red brick, guardrail wood inserts, planters, umbrellas, sidewalk, signage, etc. I assume they are eventually going to try to replace some of that so that the palette is more congruent. 

Edited by dcluley98