Aug Smith on Main (Bishop Furniture building renovation)

westsider28

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At the bike race Friday night, I noticed signs on the building that had an official name of "Aug Smith on Main," several new high-quality renderings, and online pages (Facebook, website).  The website is very bare-bones, but has the renderings scrolling in the background.  Looks very nice.  There was also a social gathering of sorts last week to celebrate the renovation.  Here's a progress photo I took, plus a few pics from their FB page:

IMG_3234.thumb.JPG.d5b4d3140b919794fa351f1ee679df5f.JPG18155964_1444556408952963_4301506987846685276_o.thumb.jpg.b4be002251d0fcea636a8df49b73250e.jpg

5907ea118d977_AugSmithonMainrendering1.thumb.jpg.d6cf211fdefbcfc1b3a4605c492967f8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's quite small, but I'm sure a sandwich shop or similar could go there.  The biggest barrier to getting a full-service restaurant up here is having a space with a commercial kitchen.  Installing one costs big $$$, takes up space, requires venting and I think a grease trap. 

I wish someone would renovate the old Blood Bank building; that'd be a great place for a restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...

This project now has their full website up: https://www.augsmithonmain.com/  It's got all the various apartment floor plan options, info on amenities, details about the retail spaces, history of the building, etc.

I also found in the real estate listing for the retail spaces, that they seem to be pushing for a restaurant in the basement space (4500 sq ft).  That would certainly be a unique space for a restaurant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just announced via Instagram, Greenville-based Spill The Beans coffee shop will be occupying a ground floor space in the Aug Smith building next Spring.  I think we're ready for multiple coffee shops downtown, and I think they are far enough apart to have unique sets of clientele.  And most importantly, this is a tenant that should really help bring more activity to that part of East Main.  Great news, IMO.

Edit: UBJ article on Spill The Beans, and progress photo from today:

IMG_7946.thumb.JPG.79133254cff5b0d947d0a12ffb3b77c5.JPG

Archived