Aug Smith on Main (Bishop Furniture building renovation)

westsider28

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

File this under interesting but slightly disappointing.  SMC will be leasing the other ground floor space here to have a presence in downtown.  No classes will be held there.  It will have an art gallery (like Upstate on Main next door, I guess) and generally promote the college.  They expect to open March 2018.

10 minutes ago, westsider28 said:

File this under interesting but slightly disappointing.  SMC will be leasing the other ground floor space here to have a presence in downtown.  No classes will be held there.  It will have an art gallery (like Upstate on Main next door, I guess) and generally promote the college.  They expect to open March 2018.

I thinks its wonderful that Spartanburg Methodist College wants to promote itself downtown.  Sure, I'd love to have something more substantive in the space but I see a win-win here.  A win for the building and developer - they get a solid tenant, and a win for SMC - it gets to promote itself to a growing number of people who are living, working, and visiting downtown.  You never know, SMC could become another Spartanburg school with classes downtown. 

SMC's president seems intent on improving the school's presence and visibility.  Bravo  to his efforts!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I accidentally posted this in the downtown developments thread, but I'll say it here as well - based on some Facebook posts, it looks like some of the first few residents of the project have moved in - and from the pictures, I'd say the views from the upper floor balconies are pretty nice.  

On 2/17/2018 at 10:39 PM, westsider28 said:

The exterior is now basically complete.  Here's a current photo compared to where it started a year ago.  Amazing transformation!

5a88f484f072e_IMG_1655(2).thumb.jpg.a725911f16b9524731d8a99303259955.jpgIMG_2955.thumb.JPG.9a341f5cc25878f0fbd4f111ce3df216.JPG

And here's the awesome tile mosaic at the entrance:

IMG_1631.thumb.JPG.ba123cca65fede5bee593c53f93428f1.JPG

Amazing what a little vision and a desire to preserve and not destroy can accomplish. What was a true eyesore has become a beautiful building!

Here are a few more photos of the building.  Looking forward to Spill The Beans opening.  I think that will be a really cool space.

First: rear entrance (apartment entrance up & left; basement retail spot down & right)

IMG_1764.thumb.JPG.aace8ad3ad36935253a888f877b24bf4.JPG

Second: distance view from top of St. John Street parking deck

IMG_9544.thumb.JPG.25c660ad62e741d5ae6e2053496a4a65.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Spill the Beans is now open in the Aug Smith building!  They're technically in soft-opening mode, with the grand opening TBD.  But they'll be open for Spring Fling.  I'm definitely going to stop in soon.  I'm expecting/hoping that it will really start to liven up this part of East Main, especially since they plan to be open quite late.

• 1 month later...

I went to the grand opening a few weeks ago, where they offered tours of the building.  I toured a top-floor corner unit (2bd, 2ba) which was very nice (wood floors, granite counters).  The views were fantastic.  Obviously that unit was quite expensive.  The ground-floor common room was very large.  The top-floor common room was smaller, but has the awesome balcony.  It feels higher up than I expected.

Also, I overheard that the building was 60% leased at the time, and they expected to be full by the end of June.  Here are a few photos:

779907401_IMG_2038Stitch.thumb.jpg.eef2ff46b4bdd781b95c6a8b3278360a.jpg

IMG_2045.thumb.JPG.5afb3f54154df0ff5b437aa83cd7ebeb.JPG

IMG_2049.thumb.JPG.551236da8de8757f7382a4a7b277df7c.JPG

Archived