New - City Center Development

wrldcoupe4

2 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

I think the council delayed the vote just to kick the bucket down the road. A new city council comes into play soon, I just don't think the current council wanted to leave office making big decision like this one. 

Well, to me it's a no-brainer, but hopefully the delay won't kill the project. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Well, to me it's a no-brainer, but hopefully the delay won't kill the project. 

I doubt it will. This is a large project and waiting a few extra weeks isn't going to kill the project. I have no doubt the city will approve this once the new mayor and council is sworn as there really isn't anything to complain about for this project.

• 2 months later...

Did City Council vote on this project last night?  It had been deferred a couple times and thought they'd look at it again last night. Didn't see any news so I assume nothing was discussed and therefore was no voted on.  Can anyone confirm?  Has this project been pulled too?  Hope not. 

9 hours ago, eandslee said:

Did City Council vote on this project last night?  It had been deferred a couple times and thought they'd look at it again last night. Didn't see any news so I assume nothing was discussed and therefore was no voted on.  Can anyone confirm?  Has this project been pulled too?  Hope not. 

It hasn't been pulled, but unfortunately it looks like it's been pushed to the council meeting on the 27th. Here's a neat presentation the developers gave to the planning commission back in December though: https://richmondva.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=4821811&GUID=5A74BEC8-1FE6-448B-9E76-C6CB4FE5F5AA

2 hours ago, TBurban said:

It hasn't been pulled, but unfortunately it looks like it's been pushed to the council meeting on the 27th. Here's a neat presentation the developers gave to the planning commission back in December though: https://richmondva.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=4821811&GUID=5A74BEC8-1FE6-448B-9E76-C6CB4FE5F5AA

Love it!  Would like to see more height, but love the ground level retail, hotel, and residences...just love the project altogether!  Hope it gets approved soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Is City Council going to address this development tonight?  If not, what is happening with this project?  I almost would like to see this lot go to the highest bidder. Perhaps the highest bidder would have a more ambitious plan to build taller. This area would be THE perfect place for a signature tower...the elevation is much higher here and a tall building would prove very prominent in the skyline. 

6 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

I went through the City Council meeting agendas and the last time this was taken up was January 23rd, just given a "continued to city council", I checked the agenda tonight and didn't see it. I would guess the developer is making some changes before they bring it back...?

Hopefully a height increase?!:unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2017 at 10:23 PM, eandslee said:

Haven't seen the agenda for the formal City Council meeting tomorrow night, but I hope this project is discussed. This project has been on pause long enough. Time to get things moving!

City Council must not have discussed this project at all again last night. Seems like this might take a while. I'm hoping a magnificently tall structure is built on this site. 

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

It was continued until the next meeting. Appears the developer was not ready to get back in front of Council. 

Thanks for the update Coupe.  I think they may still be working out a deal so we'll just have to wait and see I guess. 

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, eandslee said:

Looks like this project is now off the table. Dang it!  Developer withdrew his plans. :(

Just read the article -- does not look good for the short term, but Englander did say that he still wants to do the project.  If it was so mired in amendments, it is probably good that they start anew.  I'm cautiously optimistic that this project will come to fruition.  Although, it does seem like another example of Richmond being unable to get out of its own way.

I hope they come back with a good plan.  I really hope if they reduce the parking they don't reduce the square footage of floor space, which wouldn't resolve their concern.  If they keep it the same height and reduce parking, that would mean even more units!

I was looking at condos in that area the other day and none of them had parking included, so it's certainly possible to sell condos without (lots of) parking downtown.

This does raise a bit of a quandary for me personally though. I was looking at maybe getting a condo near 6th and Franklin.  I wonder what the price point for units in the tower might be?  It would be a shame if I get one then see tons of condos I would love hit the market.

Archived