Jacksonville

vladittude0583

If that 36 square miles for Miami is correct, then Miami is one of the densest populated major cities in America.  I always thought that Miami proper (urban core city limits) was larger than that, however, there is a lot of un-annexed areas around Miami proper.

1960 census has Jacksonville at 201,030 within the old city boundaries; also, if I remember correct, the core city was LOSING population while moving toward the 1970 census, and would not have had a population above 200,000.

Anyway, this is great stuff!

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In 1960, the city of Jax was a little over 30 square miles. If so, its very well possible that it annexed parts of high growing areas, such as Arlington at the time, that may have boosted its numbers up to 250,000 when it consolidated.

BTW, Miami is one of the country's densest cities with over 10,000 residents per mile. What's interesting is that Hialeah (pop. 230,000) and Miami Beach (pop.90,000) have denser populations than the core city.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Urban Legend: Most Atlanta natives (a dwindling minority to be sure) trace the area's boom to the arrival of Delta Airlines back in the 1940's. Delta actually started as a regional airline in Monroe, LA, but wanted to relocate. Atlanta and Birmingham were the two finalists. Both metro areas had similiar size populations - roughly 600,000.

In 1960, the city of Jax was a little over 30 square miles.  If so, its very well possible that it annexed parts of high growing areas, such as Arlington at the time, that may have boosted its numbers up to 250,000 when it consolidated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The last time that Jacksonville completed a successful annexation was 1937. The inability to do so, was a key motivation for pursuing consolidation.

1950 - 204,517 - 30.2 square miles

1960 - 201,030 - 30.2 square miles

Land area at time of annexation - 39 square miles.

That is 9 sq miles unnacountable for between 1960 and the annexation. This addition of land could be a our missing chunk of population considering the population density at the time was 6,657 per sq mile (6,657 x 9 = 59,913) and if you maintain that density you get.....

201,030 + 59,913 = 260,943

http://www.census.gov/population/documenta...s0027/tab19.txt

1950 - 204,517 - 30.2 square miles

1960 - 201,030 - 30.2 square miles

Land area at time of annexation - 39 square miles. 

That is 9 sq miles unnacountable for between 1960 and the annexation.  This addition of land could be a our missing chunk of population considering the population density at the time was 6,657 per sq mile (6,657 x 9 = 59,913) and if you maintain that density you get.....

201,030 + 59,913 = 260,943

http://www.census.gov/population/documenta...s0027/tab19.txt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great investigative analysis Viper, thanx. Then if this is so, then the 300,000 or more for Jacksonville is correct, which if Jax had not consolidated would have put us possible at number 2 or 3 behind Miami....or even number 1 depending upon further possible annexation. Maybe Jax should trash consolidation and go back to the regular system (just kidding) :):D

Jacksonville pre-consolidation land area in Sq miles - 39

Jacksonville pre-consolidation population - 250,000

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is your source for these stats? The Jax History musuem on the Southbank (Hilton side) riverwalk has a huge display showing how Jacksonville's city limits have changed since the 1800's until consolidation.

^^ Unless I missed it, I don't see any mention of population in the link above. I think the 39 sq. miles is a typo or the 1960 figure was wrong. I have the book that the column quotes from, " A Quiet Revolution". That book is the source for my post that Jacksonville had not annexed since 1937. It also states "and in the late 1940s city population peaked over 200,000 for the first time. It stayed above 200,000 for 20 years, then droped to about 198,000 in 1965.

It does mentioned two failed attempts to annex by Jacksonville. The first attempt involved 67 sq. miles and 130,903 residents in January of 1963. It passed inside the city, but was rejected by the voters in the areas to annexed 16,000 to 12,000.

A second attempt was made in November 1964 which was defeated 28,000 to 18,000 by the residents in the affected areas. In the wake of these defeats, consolidation was the only hopeful alternative.

I can't tell you if the land area is a typo or not but you do make valid points on the lack of further annexations. I can say that after consolidation, the population never decreased again year on year.

I'm also quite sure that the population would have increased back up into the 200k by now considering the zip code populations.

^^ Unless I missed it, I don't see any mention of population in the link above.  I think the 39 sq. miles is a typo or the 1960 figure was wrong.  I have the book that the column quotes from, " A Quiet Revolution".  That book is the source for my post that Jacksonville had not annexed since 1937.  It also states "and in the late 1940s city population peaked over 200,000 for the first time.  It stayed above 200,000 for 20 years, then droped to about 198,000 in 1965. 

It does mentioned two  failed attempts to annex by Jacksonville. The first attempt involved 67 sq. miles and 130,903 residents in January of 1963.  It passed inside the city, but was rejected by the voters in the areas to annexed 16,000 to 12,000. 

A second attempt was made in November 1964 which was defeated 28,000 to 18,000 by the residents in the affected areas.  In the wake of these defeats, consolidation was the only hopeful alternative.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I knew I had seen or read, back in the day, that Jacksonville's projected population shortly before consolidation was under 200,000; maybe annexation would have eventually passed and more residents added to the population. Looking at current maps of Duval County, Jacksonville wouldn't have had much choice but to continue requests to annex numerous areas in the county due to extensive population growth in such areas like the Southside, Arlington, and San Marco areas. Population probably would be on a par similar to Tampa and Miami (300,000+) if consolidation had not been effected. However, I still believe that had annexation been defeated Jacksonville would have been hard pressed to reach the 200,000 mark. Anyway, WHAT A GREAT CITY!

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

Archived