A Grand Vision 2.0

WMrapids

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably should coordinate with Grand Valley to turn Lubbers Stadium into a 22,000 seat soccer friendly venue with individual seats. That way people can take the Laker Line to Allendale and partake in friendly tailgating. If they do that at soccer games. They can eat sprouts and alfalfa and drink vitamin water.  The property downtown is just to valuable to be used as a soccer venue.  Grand Valley and the city will want a more "Viable Presence" in that location.

1 hour ago, SEsideguy said:

Probably should coordinate with Grand Valley to turn Lubbers Stadium into a 22,000 seat soccer friendly venue with individual seats. That way people can take the Laker Line to Allendale and partake in friendly tailgating. If they do that at soccer games. They can eat sprouts and alfalfa and drink vitamin water.  The property downtown is just to valuable to be used as a soccer venue.  Grand Valley and the city will want a more "Viable Presence" in that location.

Lubbors would need to upgrade its turf, and they can't serve alcohol there. I'd say this is a no go from the start.

So I'm seeing that it's between Lubbers and the Padnos area. Any other ideas? I like the idea about the 20 story tower across from Amway on Monroe.

Another idea I've heard of is that maybe if the post office moves, people from the federal building will move to a new building near the post office site while something else is done to the original building.

18 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

If it's Grand Valley, it's quite a bit of tax dollars anyway, right? :) 

I'd guess it's no worse than most of the parcels in and around downtown. There were probably furniture factories on that site before it was a metal scrap yard. There's an old furniture factory still standing just to the West (Tanglefoot Studios). Making and staining furniture was nasty work. 

I think Tanglefoot was always a flypaper factory, not a furniture factory.

Joe

37 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Lubbors would need to upgrade its turf, and they can't serve alcohol there. I'd say this is a no go from the start.

Agreed.  I would hope there would be a push to have this downtown for the sake of vibrancy, fan experience, atmosphere, economic and overall success of team.   I would attend several more Whitecaps games if downtown (and that is only 6.5 miles).

Here's one. Clear and destink a contaminated site at the Butterworth cap dump natural grass area. Oh, and by the way dig up the gravesite of the old Grand Rapids City Hall and beautiful old Kent County Courthouse so the Engineering School at Grand Valley can figure out how to put these back in service. Lots of room for cars, bikes, busses, trolleys and kayaks.

18 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

If it's Grand Valley, it's quite a bit of tax dollars anyway, right? :) 

I'd guess it's no worse than most of the parcels in and around downtown. There were probably furniture factories on that site before it was a metal scrap yard. There's an old furniture factory still standing just to the West (Tanglefoot Studios). Making and staining furniture was nasty work. 

I think Tanglefoot was always a flypaper factory, not a furniture factory.

As far as the scrap metal yard, Padnos has been a big donor in the past so it wouldn't surprise me if they gave this land to GVSU. 

I thought rumors had floated around here about GVSU building a soccer stadium on that land. It seems like it it would be smart to have multiple tenants of this proposed Stadium. A Pro Soccer team, GVSU Soccer (though they don't have a men's program, only women's so it's only a one season sport at GVSU) and potentially an outdoor concert venue?

I'm a huge soccer fan and I'm still wrapping my head around how the economics of this will work...

Joe

1 minute ago, SEsideguy said:

Here's one. Clear and destink a contaminated site at the Butterworth cap dump natural grass area. Oh, and by the way dig up the gravesite of the old Grand Rapids City Hall and beautiful old Kent County Courthouse so the Engineering School at Grand Valley can figure out how to put these back in service. Lots of room for cars, bikes, busses, trolleys and kayaks.

I thought they dumped the remnants of city hall where the Public Museum is on the riverfront? I'm all for an archeological dig / historic reconstruction. Maybe they could make a reality TV show out of it. :)

Joe

7 minutes ago, Hoeks said:

Agreed.  I would hope there would be a push to have this downtown for the sake of vibrancy, fan experience, atmosphere, economic and overall success of team.   I would attend several more Whitecaps games if downtown (and that is only 6.5 miles).

The caps are missing a golden opportunity. A move downtown would be fantastic. And a new ballpark....  Please and thank you 

Forty five years ago I wondered why we didn't have a AAA baseball team. I'm still wondering. Don't get me wrong. The Safeco tables at 5/3rd are the best and the Whitecaps have great support. But it is time to change the product. People are complacent and are looking for new and exciting entertainment. Same o  same o doesn't always cut it.

Trump is a developer, Grand Rapids wants further development.  So like minds will meet and conclude that the Post Office must go. It will happen quick and plans will be in the works. The Federal building will be in line for some type of renovation bringing it into the 21st century.

1 minute ago, SEsideguy said:

Trump is a developer, Grand Rapids wants further development.  So like minds will meet and conclude that the Post Office must go. It will happen quick and plans will be in the works. The Federal building will be in line for some type of renovation bringing it into the 21st century.

Let's all make a pact that neither presidential candidate will be talked about on UP ever again. :P All in favor??!!

9 hours ago, WMrapids said:

IMG_2811.JPGIMG_2812.JPG

The overclad for the federal building in Newark seems pretty cool.

That's perfect for the 5/3 Building. They're almost identical architecture. I love it. It wouldn't work for our federal building through. That thing needs a total re-do.

Archived