2017 Predictions

cjd5050

Well I'm  not really good at this but I will make some predictions for 2017 for Charlotte. These are just my thoughts don't take them to the bank....yet. 

1. 2 two new office towers will go vertical this year Tryon Place and LIncoln Harris Observer tower. Both towers anchored by banks locally Tryon Place or what I will call the US Bank Tower at Tryon Place and the new Merrill Lynch BofA tower with huge signage looming over the stadium.

2. the Panthers will be better in the fall 2017 season.

3. FDI foreign direct investment in Charlotte will increase greatly especially from Asia and esp. China. New manufacturing, new distribution, new US offices for foreign companies esp. with threat of tougher trade.  The USA is the number 1 market in the world that everyone wants to be in.  

4. Apartment boom will start slowing down and more for sale product will be in town esp. townhomes and some smaller boutique condo buildings. Charlotte's first micro unit condos will debut or be announced

5. Single family residential will be strong and new home starts will boom in all major suburban counties: Union, Cabarrus, Iredell, York and Lancaster.  Gaston and Lincoln counties will pick up substantially. Teardowns will be strong. 

6. Charlotte will get a Major League Soccer team much to the surprise of many nationwide

7, .Grocery wars will continue and escalate with new stores from Teeter, Publix, Aldi, Lidl and new entrants like Sprouts and Wegmans will announce. 

8. HB2 will be repealed in first half of 2017 and Mayor Jennifer Roberts will lose in the Democrat primary to another Democrat.

9 Huge new distribution centers will open like the new Publix super sized warehouse in the Charlotte region.

10. Slower hotel growth in uptown Charlotte in 2017 the Bohemian on West Trade will be started  but the hotel boom will slow also in the suburbs. 

11. Corporate relocations will pick up due to repatriating of cash held overseas and it is a good way to lower business costs by moving to new low cost city like Charlotte.

12. More new flights at CLT including at least 1-2 new international destinations and several new domestic cities. 

Overall growth will pick up in Charlotte and the Carolinas in general more jobs, more businesses and unfortunately more traffic. And my final prediction several new QuikTrips will open in the city limits! 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the state in Q1 and Q2 will continue to see unemployment rise and job openings reduced through beginning Q3. I don't in any reality in which HB2 repealed in Q1. I think HB2 will only be repealed in Q3 or Q4. I do however see corporate relocation's be announced, but the outcome and public/international reception of a relocation to NC amidst HB2 will determine if the state can push forward with maybe not repealing the bill. I see SC and VA gaining from NC's loss in the short term. 

1 hour ago, CLT704 said:

Wells Fargo, amid the continued fall out from the accounts scandal, will replace the entire board with majority Charlotte-based and ex-Wachovia people, and will therefore move headquarters from San Francisco to Charlotte.  

I don't buy into the Wells Fargo relocating to Charlotte hype (yet). However, you are starting to see a lot of the legacy Wachovia higher ups taking over WF now in terms of management/leadership positions. My better half works in the compliance and risk area of the bank and she has made the comment on more than one occasion that the legacy Wachovia leaders are taking over key areas of the bank since the whole account scandal. Either by legacy WF people being reassigned or forced out. I think you will continue to see the growth of Wells in Charlotte over the next year or two. Possibly pushing their local employment numbers into the 24-25,000 range. I think a lot of things have to happen for them to put their HQ here, but you're going to see a larger Charlotte influence sooner rather than later. Don't be surprised to see one of the new uptown tower announcements to include Wells Fargo, as others have hinted towards. 

2 hours ago, CLT704 said:

Wells Fargo, amid the continued fall out from the accounts scandal, will replace the entire board with majority Charlotte-based and ex-Wachovia people, and will therefore move headquarters from San Francisco to Charlotte.  

That would be so very awesome...but i doubt it.

I just checked the Wells Fargo open positions for jobs on their website they are 283 openings of various positions in Charlotte versus 69 in the total San Francisco bay area including Oakland, 7 in Los Angeles and 111 in Minneapolis St Paul. So from that quick search, job growth is by far the most in Charlotte and of course their 287,000 sq ft lease in Ballantyne is further proof. California is very hostile towards Wells Fargo right now. Quick search of Bank of America shows 290 open jobs in Charlotte vs. 238 in New York City. I would say both banks are growing here Wells quicker than Bank of America. 

1.  Panthers become good again and win Super Bowl 52.

2.  Hornets pick up Steph Curry in FA and become a legitimate threat for a title run.

3.  UNCC Football has a winning season and gets to a bowl game.

4.  UNCC, Winthrop, and Davidson all make it to the NCAA tournament (2017-2018).

5.  Checkers get really good and make a run at the Calder Cup (2017-2018).

13 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

1.  Panthers become good again and win Super Bowl 52.

2.  Hornets pick up Steph Curry in FA and become a legitimate threat for a title run.

3.  UNCC Football has a winning season and gets to a bowl game.

4.  UNCC, Winthrop, and Davidson all make it to the NCAA tournament (2017-2018).

5.  Checkers get really good and make a run at the Calder Cup (2017-2018).

I like the way you think (esp with the first 4).

On 12/28/2016 at 11:06 PM, KJHburg said:

I just checked the Wells Fargo open positions for jobs on their website they are 283 openings of various positions in Charlotte versus 69 in the total San Francisco bay area including Oakland, 7 in Los Angeles and 111 in Minneapolis St Paul. So from that quick search, job growth is by far the most in Charlotte and of course their 287,000 sq ft lease in Ballantyne is further proof. California is very hostile towards Wells Fargo right now. Quick search of Bank of America shows 290 open jobs in Charlotte vs. 238 in New York City. I would say both banks are growing here Wells quicker than Bank of America. 

Is B of A actually growing its overall headcount in Charlotte? Are there any numbers available?

I dont have any hard numbers but after giving up a lot of space in various places they seem to be needing it now. They want to clear out the other tenants at Corporate Center for one. However I think some bigger things are in the work bringing more jobs here from higher cost locations which is the same thing Wells is doing. 

• 11 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 6:53 PM, KJHburg said:

Well I'm  not really good at this but I will make some predictions for 2017 for Charlotte. These are just my thoughts don't take them to the bank....yet. 

1. 2 two new office towers will go vertical this year Tryon Place and LIncoln Harris Observer tower. Both towers anchored by banks locally Tryon Place or what I will call the US Bank Tower at Tryon Place and the new Merrill Lynch BofA tower with huge signage looming over the stadium.

2. the Panthers will be better in the fall 2017 season.

3. FDI foreign direct investment in Charlotte will increase greatly especially from Asia and esp. China. New manufacturing, new distribution, new US offices for foreign companies esp. with threat of tougher trade.  The USA is the number 1 market in the world that everyone wants to be in.  

4. Apartment boom will start slowing down and more for sale product will be in town esp. townhomes and some smaller boutique condo buildings. Charlotte's first micro unit condos will debut or be announced

5. Single family residential will be strong and new home starts will boom in all major suburban counties: Union, Cabarrus, Iredell, York and Lancaster.  Gaston and Lincoln counties will pick up substantially. Teardowns will be strong. 

6. Charlotte will get a Major League Soccer team much to the surprise of many nationwide

7, .Grocery wars will continue and escalate with new stores from Teeter, Publix, Aldi, Lidl and new entrants like Sprouts and Wegmans will announce. 

8. HB2 will be repealed in first half of 2017 and Mayor Jennifer Roberts will lose in the Democrat primary to another Democrat.

9 Huge new distribution centers will open like the new Publix super sized warehouse in the Charlotte region.

10. Slower hotel growth in uptown Charlotte in 2017 the Bohemian on West Trade will be started  but the hotel boom will slow also in the suburbs. 

11. Corporate relocations will pick up due to repatriating of cash held overseas and it is a good way to lower business costs by moving to new low cost city like Charlotte.

12. More new flights at CLT including at least 1-2 new international destinations and several new domestic cities. 

Overall growth will pick up in Charlotte and the Carolinas in general more jobs, more businesses and unfortunately more traffic. And my final prediction several new QuikTrips will open in the city limits! 

I guess it is time to check my 2017 predictions for Charlotte 

1. Correct on 2 buildings but wrong bank  Ally Bank is the anchor for Tryon Place not quite vertical this year but utility work is happening.  Right on about BOAT at Legacy even down to the signage 

2. Yes true despite the game last week

3.  Yes happening all over the state and even locally more in the region than in Charlotte proper

4.  Apartment boom seems to continue but slowing down some I think. Lots more townhomes right there. Micro units right about that but not condos but apartments (behind RailYard)

5  True across the board

6. WAY WRONG ON THIS ONE Charlotte is still a bigger TV market than Nashville Cincy or even Raleigh.  

7. Yes and Sprouts in coming to Ballantyne area no Wegmans announced yet.  (I still think they are coming)

8. RIGHT ON TARGET HERE

9. Yes true but missed the retailer Amazon is the one announcing the 1 million sq ft warehouse in Kannapolis but lots of new warehouses going up for sure

10.  No really new announcements this year just completions but Bohemian and Intercontinental should get started next year and more announced

11. Yes AXA announces 550 more jobs (French owned) and Allstate announces 2250 jobs for Charlotte.  They are looking everywhere for space and may split things up from what I hear

12. More domestic flights but not sure if any additional international cities were announced this year.

QuikTrips right on target and they are just getting started in the city of Charlotte.  

More traffic yes, more jobs yes, almost time to make the 2018 predictions.  

Archived